Battersea Stewarts Lane - London

Shedmaster

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

This all sounds a bit frustrating, but the main thing is that you seem to have a workable solution to create what you need. I hope that this all goes well and look forward to seeing progress.

Richard

• RMweb Premium

I'ver put some long lengths of checkrailed track on my Lancaster Green Ayre layout (Look at the pics on the thread. Although I worked in 7mm it should work in 4mm. I used C&L chairs stck down with Butanone. These are available in 4mm but I'm not sure what code the standard bullhead rail is. The way to do it was to put two chairs on the running rail, then miss one. The check rail is laid with 1 chair, miss 2 then all the gaps are filled with chairs cut in half. The only problem that we are now faced with is how to colour the check rail so that when you clean the running rails the check rail doesn't come clean. We've tried metal colouring product which looks right. I'm wondering if I can just grind a very small amount of the check rail head so that the rail cleaner doesn't hit it.

I wish you success with this as it looks good and I was wondering if the evo stick affects the plastic when you glue it down, the toluene in it is a pretty powerful solvent. Normal PVA will do on large areas.

Keep up the good work.

Jamie

Jamie

Hi Dave, keep going. In the past I have found that a little break and some pondering really helps. I have a think and come up with a few ideas of how to approach the problem and generally the solution comes when you least expect it. Although it is mighty frustrating at the time, you will sort it out and unless you are happy then you have to keep going until it is right. You will get there I have no doubt.

Chin up Sir! biggrin.gif

I have to confess that for the past two and a half weeks I have been trying to work out why the spacing for the doors at the front of Boxenby would not work out. angry.gif huh.gif

In preparation for the inspection platforms and iron work I needed to check the dimensions. The depot has been measured no end of times, the printed drawing and computer drawings checked no end of times which was doing my head in!!! I just couldn’t see what was wrong. In the end Mrs. Grimley was enlisted to help solve the problem and she did…….I was getting very annoyed! Thanks Mrs. G! cool.gif

In the end it was that some of the inspection pits were 0.5mm out in places! huh.gif

Now I can get back on with some modelling!

Good luck and I look forward to seeing the finished floor. Then perhaps you could come round and do mine!!! tongue.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning,

I've been busy working away here, to remove the old flooring and pits, ready for replacement materials.

This has been an expensive way of doing a job, but if I'd have done it properly first time round, maybe I'd be playing trains by now ? :)

post-7088-051418300 1284454161_thumb.jpg

The pits were replaced with new parts and have been built to their full lengths of six foot each. I then located these in position but did not glue them.

I cut the plasticard sheets to go in their respective places, and after making absolutely sure that I had measured properly, I glued them down with EVO stick, which is actually overkill for this job but then again, I'll always go for the belts and braces option.

( Jamie92208 : The evo-stick DID spoil one patch of plasticard on the previous job, but I've avoided that this time, by leaving this stuff the full fifteen minuted before sticking together )

post-7088-025338800 1284454200_thumb.jpg

The pit versus floor interface is now as thus :

post-7088-020200400 1284454180_thumb.jpg

post-7088-015776400 1284454193_thumb.jpg

The line between the edge of the pit moulding and plasticard floor will NOT now be filled, as I have made this a real tight and accurate fit, the pit will be painted white, then a yellow border line will be relied on to shield the very small join line and then will come the red floor, as per the real thing.

The pits themselves are entirely removeable now, although this is only for them to be painted and wired up. When this is done I may glue them down but I dont really see a need, I'm concerned that repeated removal and replacement will ruin the plasticard edges eventually.

post-7088-033203900 1284454167_thumb.jpg

post-7088-092089200 1284454172_thumb.jpg

So......we're getting back on track slowly.......all this so I can have an accurate, seamless floor as per the real thintg that I'm copying.

post-7088-008566400 1284454187_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping that I can just get the floor down now and then get the paint out again, to move the project forward a bit................I've seen enough white plasticard and pit modules for now methinks !

Dave

Hi Dave,

Been a little while since I caught up with your amazing project. The shed buildings are simply stunning and whilst the work on the flooring may seem frustrating to you now, the extra work and focus on getting it right will really pay off especially when you have your close up detailed photos to work with. At the end of the day you will end up with the layout looking how you want which will be right and much better to do now than when the layout is finished. Like your 33 the weathering brings it to life nicely. Look forward to seeing your progress as its coming along nicely.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi All,

As ever, thankyou for your continued support...........

Pete, I'm very much hoping to have 'Dutch' 56's here as I'm really interested in the pre-EWS liveries when there was so much variety.........a nice dutch 37 would be nice too, especially 'Transrail' Dutch 37 201, that I worked to Ramsgate in 1995 with Rail Magazine.

I'm definately more positive with the layout project this week, I've also got some annual leave coming up so hope to have a good block of time available to continue.

Dave

Dave

It looks very good don't forget that you still have to raise the bottom of the shed to rail top level, it's looking very neat.

How are you going to clean the track in the long shed or are you only going to fix the big shed building to base board?

Pete

Hi Dave, looking good. I think you need to get a couple of 60s inside just to make sure that it is ok. Any excuse to get some 60s out!

The question is; are you happy with the pits and floor? That is the important point.

It is better to get it right whilst you can and then be happy with it otherwise in the future it will always niggle you perhaps making you wish you had made the changes. If you are like me it has to be right or it keeps waving at you and in turn making you annoyed!

Keep up the good work and I look forward to regular updates on progress seeing as you will be at home doing lots of modelling!

Talking of Dutch liveried Grids, this beast would look right at home at Battersea Stewarts Lane:

56048Nos.jpg

56048s.jpg

Dave

It looks very good don't forget that you still have to raise the bottom of the shed to rail top level, it's looking very neat.

How are you going to clean the track in the long shed or are you only going to fix the big shed building to base board?

Pete

Hi Pete,

I've managed to get the final pieces of floor in situ this evening, but walked away before final gluing, I just want to prove it is alright tommorrow with fresh eyes !

I am dreading the ramp / apron to be honest.....it's only 2mm high but a gradual slope which is very very smooth..........time for getting my thinking cap on.

All sheds will be removeable for track cleaning and setting up photo's, placing the camera etc.

The front of the shed ( with the working doors ) will be looked at in detail for it's planting arrangement.

Mr Grimley,

Thanks for the grid pics........a welcome post indeed although I'm currently working to a 'no playing trains' rule.........must concentrate on the main work first, that is, to get the major stages of building complete before fitting out/painting etc.

I was going to get my two 56's out for you and pose them for a picture but rejected the idea in favour of work on completing the floor.

The truth is that I'm being really finnicky about the floor, it just HAS to be right. I'm happy with the relaying now, it has gone very well. I have found one bit of plasticard that had a crooked edge by something like the width of a knife blade, so I simply scrapped it and cut a new piece.....much better !

I'm at the stage now where, unfortunately for me, I'm ready to address the apron and ramping at the front door end of the shed. This could be fun......:O

Dave

Hi All,

I can finally show you what's keeping me so busy at the mo......a house for my little girl........:

post-7088-006237900 1284811147_thumb.jpg

post-7088-083219300 1284812346_thumb.jpg

This has been a hell of a distraction from this building :

post-7088-013458900 1284811014_thumb.jpg

post-7088-076266200 1284811019_thumb.jpg

I forgot to mention previously, that the opportunity was taken to make the stub road pit longer and to the correct length, as I had missed this first time round and it was bugging me as I knew it was innacurate !

post-7088-016925900 1284811008_thumb.jpg

post-7088-048527700 1284811026_thumb.jpg

I think the attention to detail is definately paying off.

Dave

Okay, you got me there..........of course it's the railway room !

Not sure I like the attempt at the livery though, Intercity or one of the Trainload Sectors could have been interesting !

I did honestly look at the idea of a garden railway for littlun.............really like the G Scale stuff but wasnt brave enough to go for planning permission from swmbo !!!!

Dave

:rolleyes:

After seeing the house for your daughter, I am now totally convinced that Battersea Stewarts Lane is going to be completely correct. Great work Sir. I am surprised that you didn’t paint it in Construction sector livery!

The floor and pits are looking very good, I do really love that building, absolutely superb.

My Father always says “…..you get out what you put in…..†certainly has paid off, keep up the good work. You should hopefully have the depot ready for Father Christmas delivering a couple more 60s!

You never know Dave, Hornby might break into the G scale market with a 60!

Good Morning,

Well, it has just turned midnight here as I arrived indoors from the shed, working most of the day on my layout.

What have I achieved?............plenty I'm very pleased to say.

The floor sections have been primed grey, and adjusted on one road as it was not allowing the pit to sit right, resulting in three perfectly straight pits in perfect alignment :

post-7088-063969100 1285629338_thumb.jpg

The Peco pit modules have had all of the joins filled ( with Tippex ) and sanded smooth, before lengths of rail were added as required.

Getting rid of all these join lines was a time consuming, horrible job as I had to be really careful, but the end result was worth it. One day I'll learn how to use a camera properly and improve my pictures :rolleyes:

There are rail joins about half way down each long pit, that have a metal jumper soldered across them for electrical continuity from the main feed.

These will be covered by P4 cosmetic fishplates and are not noticeable as they are very well hidden.

post-7088-091649200 1285629352_thumb.jpg

post-7088-093799500 1285629323_thumb.jpg

After plenty of pre-checks, out came the white paint. This is Halfords white primer and will allow me to paint the rail sides as appropriate :

post-7088-059122200 1285629332_thumb.jpg

The overall look is coming together now, two main jobs in this area are the red floor and yellow border line, oh, and the special floor section by the main doors :

post-7088-010991800 1285629346_thumb.jpg

A test paint of the floor colour has been completed and looks good, although I will be covering with a satin type varnish to try to give it a prototypical shine.

Any observations would be welcome if you think I've missed anything ?

Thanks,

Dave

Wow you are certainly making progress now, it is quite amazing the difference a bit of paint can make. Now that the floor has been painted grey it makes a big change to the whole look of the model and you certainly can see just how good it will look once finished. In fact, I reckon that you might have it all finished by the end of the week!

The pits look really good, you have done a superb job and in the end worth all the effort. Once you have trains moving in and out you will look back and be glad that you did.

I look forward to some 60s photos later in the week!

Hi Dave,

This is looking great, I don't think you have missed anything, Seeing a loco in the shed really gives a good idea of how big the shed is, and the hight. B)

Cheers Peter.

Peter,

Thanks for posting on this. I'm trying to get it looking as if you were there yourself, walking around inside, so it should seem big and I'm very happy that I'm achieving this. :)

The real place seems quite small to me, but I think that's because you become accustomed to this stuff when you're around it all the time.

Non-railway people are always amazed ( as I once was ) at the size of trains, when they are stood right next to them at ground level.

Wow you are certainly making progress now, it is quite amazing the difference a bit of paint can make. Now that the floor has been painted grey it makes a big change to the whole look of the model and you certainly can see just how good it will look once finished. In fact, I reckon that you might have it all finished by the end of the week!

The pits look really good, you have done a superb job and in the end worth all the effort. Once you have trains moving in and out you will look back and be glad that you did.

I look forward to some 60s photos later in the week!

Mr Grimley,

If I had any time or know how, I'd have had these pictures in 'paint shop pro' and done a computer mock up to show off what bits will be what colour...........

I'm hoping to have the opening ceremony on Friday this week...........all Loco's welcome !.........LoL's.............:P

The idea of painting the floor grey was to show up any faults that weren't obvious. One came up, which was a kink in one of the pits and this was cured easily enough, otherwise.....a job well done!

( What can I find to do wrong next ? )

The no trains rule is still in force here at the mo.............except for necessary testing......which is why the RES 47 made it into the pictures, proving my electrical jumpers.

Is the 'Tippex' idea any use to you for your extensive pits ? It makes a brilliant filler for small cracks etc.......

P.S - I now know how to tackle the floor ramping at the main door end, but cannot attempt this until the working shed door sub-project has started as I need to route certain components accordingly !

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

One of our Australian readership was lucky enough to have a 'site visit' here today, the last day of a ten week visit to the UK, and so he was able to see progress in person after finally getting an invite !

Seeing as we're waiting parts right now to do the concrete apron, there was only one thing to do............PLAY !!!

After a good running session using the Bachmann 'Dynamis' control system, the following Loco's have been berthed overnight :

37 109 and 47 798 on No.3 road :

post-7088-094743000 1286572143_thumb.jpg

60 036 is on the stub road :

post-7088-072628200 1286572150_thumb.jpg

( 036' is the one that made an appearance on Channel 4 a few years ago, during an Andrew Gilligan programme...... )

and 33 109 is on 2, waiting for that NSE Inspection Saloon to arrive..........

post-7088-052635100 1286572156_thumb.jpg

The next job now is to finish the floor properly and then get painting, before movong onto painting the buildings and installing the three working shed doors !

Dave

Hi Dave,

Great pictures,B) I do like Crompton 109 I remember seeing her around Eastleigh a fair bit in that Liv. The white tyre slip marks on the wheels are a nice touch, how did you do them? I am working on a class 47 at the moment and was thinking of doing the same thing. I have tried it before with a white marker pen but it didn't look anything like how yours has turned out.

Cheers Peter.

hi dave,looking really good,how will you motorise the doors? ive got some faller door motors to do mine,be interested to see how you do it,regards,bob

Hi Bob,

The door project has been custom designed for this building, to have a motor driving each door via a shaft from underneath the baseboard, independently controlled. I will be posting plenty on this sub-project when it gets started and I also hope to be publishing the official CAD drawings here during the process, but I haven't asked for permission yet. I've had plenty of professional help here to make doors that work just like the real thing.........all I have to do is build them !

Hi Dave,

Great pictures,B) I do like Crompton 109 I remember seeing her around Eastleigh a fair bit in that Liv. The white tyre slip marks on the wheels are a nice touch, how did you do them? I am working on a class 47 at the moment and was thinking of doing the same thing. I have tried it before with a white marker pen but it didn't look anything like how yours has turned out.

Cheers Peter.

Peter,

Thanks for the interest in our 33 109, however, I did not produce these. I wonder if the appropriate friend reads this, that he might care to explain please ?

Meanwhile............I designed my own version of this :

post-7088-049576200 1286624606_thumb.jpg

in digital form using a spreadsheet, here is last nights version for example :

T & RS Allocation.pdf

All the best,

Dave

Archived