Battersea Stewarts Lane - London

Shedmaster

Im sure the flash guards were covered in a railway modeller (I think) article a few years back - also covering the detail differences between the 73/0 and 73/1 bogies.

Oh , not seen that article.. might have been during the period of 'I'm bored of RM' which lasted quite a few years for me personally :unsure:

If the Hornby VEP frames arent available as spares , there still whitemetal ones available - which may even be an easier starting point to detail up correctly for a 73 -particularly modelling the fibreglass flash guards.

Who makes these still, Sothern Pride ??

Ive not seen the Replica MLV pipes - I take it they're good then - better than MJT ?

Nor have I Jon, they are one of the last pieces of the jigsaw for the MLV due soon I hope .. The chaps have said they will be better than MJT parts and I would expect them to be as good as ( or better than ) the very hard to get hold of Heljan 33/1 parts.

Mike

Who is the manufacture of them buildings??

By the way, excellent layout!!

Hiya,

Very pleased you like the layout..........The buildings were unique commissions manufactured by a company called 'York Modelmaking', working to photographs and technical data supplied by me.

Knowing how big model railway layouts can be, I thought I'd be clever and do a 'small' part of a real depot, but scaling down the prototype measurements from the real thing has still produced two massive buildings, although they are accurate replica's.

Please see my website www.manor-lane.co.uk for more details, which reminds me........must update that soon !

post-7088-127797162469_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Dave

Good Evening,

Sorry JackBlack, the cost of these buildings has been officially 'Classified', as information that sensitive in the public domain could be fatal.............for me, if the wife finds out !!!

However,

I have been making some small progress here and have installed the first length of 'inspection pit' in the Carriage & Wagon Repair Shed :

post-7088-127853705258_thumb.jpg

The Electric Loco Shed is currently not being worked on as I'm just taking each job on as I feel like it :

post-7088-127853702118_thumb.jpg

As regular followers will know, I've been drawing the site plan onto the baseboard, starting with the footprint of each of the buildings :

post-7088-127853707877_thumb.jpg

This has enabled me to position the main items inside the buildings such as the green storage containers at the rear of the building :

post-7088-127853747633_thumb.jpg

post-7088-12785370611_thumb.jpg

This is their position within our building, I do know there is a LOT of detail missing here with regards to the building, it is a long term project and hopefully it will be added later.

Inside this shed, the floor is concrete throughout, and is level to the top of the rails.

The green containers sit on top of this concrete floor and in fact on top of the rails, which continue right underneath the boxes to the back wall, this will also be modelled here when the time comes as both buildings need concrete floors internally !

post-7088-127853707135_thumb.jpg

post-7088-12785371253_thumb.jpg

Now, seeing as this project is very much about Pullman cars......here is our one :

post-7088-127853709251_thumb.jpg

Although you wouldn't see lifting jacks used here, in this shed, on a coach......I couldn't resist seeing how they look :

post-7088-127853710748_thumb.jpg

The tracks have been positioned in situ, to demonstrate the spacing, as it is not a cramped environment in this building and I am really hoping to have plenty of room to demonstrate this :

post-7088-127853709973_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127853711666_thumb.jpg

I think the camera angles will be okay later, but this will be a learning curve to get the good shots that I want, by positioning the camera inside the building, just as if you were standing there yourself as I was.....

The only problem in this respect seems to be the size of the blue side door :

post-7088-127853859903_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127853859186_thumb.jpg

It is difficult to 'look in' with my camera and so I'm looking to enlarge this maybe so that I can pan round a bit more :

post-7088-127853861108_thumb.jpg

Thats all for tonight.....

All the best,

Dave

Hi All,

It's been nice just to be able to get some of the stock onto the layout, even if it is just for getting a feel for the interior space.

Our 47 768 and some loose coaches have appeared this week and I'm finding it really helpful to position these and compare with my pictures, just to see how the layout is coming together.....

post-7088-127857458638_thumb.jpg

post-7088-12785745176_thumb.jpg

....and, 73 114 has now lost it's couplings as requested......

post-7088-127857450742_thumb.jpg

TTFN,

Dave

Hi Dave, wow it is really progressing well. I love the shot of the Pullman car and lifting jacks taken from the front of the shed, superb. That is brilliant, once the concrete floor is in and it is fully detailed inside I can imagine it will look just like the real thing.

Those buildings are seriously superb!

I look forward to seeing the rest of the inspection pits in place.

Hi again,

I forgot to add these pictures before, showing what you see in the real shed, looking towards the green boxes.......the blue and grey Mk1 thingy is sitting on the pit in the same position as our Pullman car.....

post-7088-127858044602_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127858058517_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127858059441_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127858060469_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127858062344_thumb.jpg

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Looking impressive. Good to see everything slowly coming together and following your thoughts as you start pulling everything together. Adding those details will take sometime! My only other observation being that once the builders are 'bedded-in' some of the details won't be seen (hence enlarging the doors I guess). You could do with small mirrors on stalks - such as those used by dentists - so that you / visitors can peer into the building.

Keep up the good work - following with interest.

I also like to loco jacks - I have a set myself - this look great.

Good Evening,

Thankyou all for your kind comments and support, decided to get back in the main Electric Loco. Shed building tonight and do some work......

Progress continues here with the cutting in of our 'stub road pit' :

post-7088-127896258537_thumb.jpg

With all the fannying around, it took me two hours just to achieve this ! ( and it's not even glued together as all of my Plastic Weld evaporated inside the bottle cos of the heat )

Our iconic kettle, 'Clan Line' was brought in to double check the new pit for size etc and I truly wish I'd never bothered......it just doesnt 'look right' to me in model form :

post-7088-127896275525_thumb.jpg

Soooooooo.........

Out came the Brush hardware for a little evaluation session instead......:

post-7088-12789628753_thumb.jpg

Overall, I can see that It's coming together as intended, so am happy for now.......smile.gif

All the best,

Dave

Dave

That looks great but don't forget that the bottom of the building still has to rest on a hardstanding which is at rail top level so it will be 4mm higher up than it is in you pictures.

Looks great Dave.

Pete

Dave

That looks great but don't forget that the bottom of the building still has to rest on a hardstanding which is at rail top level so it will be 4mm higher up than it is in you pictures.

Looks great Dave.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the tip, this is accounted for in the plan to lay the concrete floor.

The layout will be marked onto the wood baseboard in pencil and then a retaining border made as required. Inside this border I'm intending to smear my external polyfilla mix which when dry will look like concrete. I'm not sure how to make it look like this but for some daft reason I think I can by adjusting the bottom of the shed as you suggest, and being clever with the polyfilla :

post-7088-127896563975_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127896564894_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127896565572_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

It is looking good, even without all the finer details, you are really captureing the feel of the Depot

Can't wait until it's finished, the end result will be brillant!

Keep up the good work!

Simon

Hi Dave, any progress from your outstanding layout?

Hi JackBlack,

Well.......yes, but there has been an issue or two that I've had to address with my pits.

Yet again, I have nearly missed vital details and am very glad that I am double checking things here, I walked away the other day as it wasn't going my way......I drew so many lines on the baseboard that were wrong and had to establish why.

Because I'm making a model of a real location, I had to look again at the positioning of the track, because I originally drew the lines on the baseboard for the track to go through the front doors centrally, but this was only the case on the left hand door.

I hadnt realised that the centre and right hand roads were slewed to the left and right of the main door apertures :

post-7088-127940330463_thumb.jpg

This is CRITICALLY IMPORTANT.........because when I paint the floor, the yellow border line on the floor needs to align with the rear door, as in this picture :

post-7088-127940329313_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127940331301_thumb.jpg

I have now cut the holes for the centre and right hand pit roads, and am happy with the alignments, but had I got this wrong, it would not have been undo-able !

I am hoping to get some pics tommorrow as I managed to roll our Pullman car into the shed 'properly' to confirm the positioning, but I had to leave it again today to go to work......probably a good thing.

I have been pondering another thing today, that is my so called clever idea of using exterior pollyfilla for the floor.......WHY ?

I don't need the floor to look like concrete in here as I'll be painting it anyway, and I think that using plasticard would be better........

Dave

Hi all,

As promised, here are some pics of recent works at 'The Lane'..........firstly, two general shots of the pits in our shed.

These pits will be set absolutely straight, glued together and then bordered with 2mm plasticard sheet, which will form the internal floor of the building, thus looking as if the rails are fixed to the floor as per the real thing........

post-7088-127947713689_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127947714429_thumb.jpg

To achieve the concrete apron accross the front of the doors, I have added the rail supports from spare Peco pit sections, which will also be bordered with 2mm plasticard and then built up to rail height in the right places to get the effect I want.......

post-7088-127947712191_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127947713028_thumb.jpg

Not sure how to achieve the smooth ramp yet but I'll be thinking about that one for now........

See ya soon,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Dave,

Looking at the photos, it makes perfect sense to off-set the tracks to the doors, thus giving more working space between the two tracks - however, something that could easily have been missed. Keep up the good work!

Hi all,

I wonder if anybody can assist with something here ?

I have recently acquired this beasty for the layout and it seems to be upsetting the neighbours, yet I can't think why......I thought EVERYBODY loved Pink Floyd ???? tongue.gif

post-7088-128024723897_thumb.jpg

Seriously........this has become surplus indoors and as I can't bear stuff to be 'stored' in the loft, what was I to do ?

Work is progressing here slowly though.......this last week it has been a case of fixing the plywood sheet to the baseboard frames, after adding extra fixing supports either side of the holes for the pits.

I'll be making sure the pit shoulders are properly level and then using the 2mm 2ft x 1ft plasticard sheets to build up the internal flooring. Then.....I can start adding some colour.

post-7088-12802474592_thumb.jpg

p.s

NO B*** P*****N here please, just some shiny new Class 73's, ta

Dave

Good evening,

We've had some good progress today, managing to level and glue in, all of the pits for the Electric Loco. Shed.

My friends 4-CEP has been conveniently called back into works, as it has been waiting repairs to a damaged underframe........

post-7088-128033472598_thumb.jpg

....while the remaining trailer coaches have been borrowed to confirm the alignment and level of the newly installed pit modules...

post-7088-128033473388_thumb.jpg

Our resident 33 201 has also shown it's face.......in the new building that it will now call 'home'....

post-7088-128033479105_thumb.jpg

Because of the time and attention taken to getting the pits right, I am expecting to simply cut the pieces for the floor, and glue them into place..........well............we will have to see about that one, although initial checking has been very good.

Our very own 60 042 'Dunkery Beacon' was also seen on shed today, however, the picture is a little blurred due to naff photographer !

post-7088-128033521711_thumb.jpg

Hope you like......

Dave

Archived