Battersea Stewarts Lane - London

Shedmaster

Good Evening,

Just some more pictures from works progress today...

Firstly.......any idea's what this is ?

Well, it's actually a piece of railing, of the type included in the Hornby turntable...I have bought some in, as it is a perfect match for the roof mounted railings on the Electric Loco. Shed.

post-7088-0-55579600-1294959353_thumb.jpg

I have had to cut it to the specific layout and found the easiest way to do this was to use a Dremmel type tool, it also gave me a cleaner cut of the metal....

post-7088-0-41040700-1294959307_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-32487800-1294959327_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-95715400-1294959342_thumb.jpg

The pieces have been rubbed down smooth ready for attaching to the roof 'crawl boards'. Then, as single units they will be primed and painted, then fixed onto the roof.

I have found a working floodlight in the Viessmann range that I fancy for the end of the roof above the doors, unlike the prototype, these will be working !

Another small but important detail I've prepared for painting is the drain pipes........

post-7088-0-55140800-1294959298_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-04377000-1294959365_thumb.jpg

Finally........been looking at the glazing too, playing really, getting the fit right and working out the best way to colour and weather it....before I fit it and then try to work it out !

post-7088-0-47545800-1294959376_thumb.jpg

The side glazing will be done in the same way........test fitted and then pre coloured before fitting properly.

Thats all for now,

Dave

Hi guys,

Thanks for the votes of support.......I felt like I achieved something yesterday, but went out there today and just couldn't be bothered !

My next jobs are the roof mounted walkways and the roof spotlighting, for which I have found a fantastic product but I think it is just tooooooo big !

Still, I know the new paint is on it's way, so looking forward to getting this down and then having a right royal cleanup, before photting some 60's on shed.

More details to follow...........

Dave

Thanks Leon,

I'm very much enjoying your thread mate...........very 'specific' but including the variety, keep it coming !

Just been doing some research on the roof mounted lights I want to use.............called 'Lemax', the 'Viessmann' things would just be too small.

post-7088-0-34412700-1295049539_thumb.jpg

...I think for the money, I should just buy some of these in ( clear version, not blue ) and see how we get on. I would remove the base and just mount the light as required.....

If they are a little too big, there are things I can do to them !!!

Dave

Thanks Leon,

I'm very much enjoying your thread mate...........very 'specific' but including the variety, keep it coming !

Just been doing some research on the roof mounted lights I want to use.............called 'Lemax', the 'Viessmann' things would just be too small.

post-7088-0-34412700-1295049539_thumb.jpg

...I think for the money, I should just buy some of these in ( clear version, not blue ) and see how we get on. I would remove the base and just mount the light as required.....

If they are a little too big, there are things I can do to them !!!

Dave

Now Dave, if you can find some of those in 4mm scale - even without bulbs they could be made to accommodate a micro LED...

The shed is looking great :-)

Thomasrolleyes.gif

Good Evening,

Leon, thanks for the PM......I think it's just asking too much to have those 'Lemax' lights here.....they are too big as expected, your version would appear to be perfect as it is the hoods that are important here.

Thomas, thanks for the idea, however, I actually spent hours yesterday evening, hence my 00:01 posting, looking for a suitable floodlight with hood and that is how I found the excellent 'Lemax' things. They're intended application is for lighting things like Christmas displays on shelves etc, i.e ornamental lighting applications.....shame ! I really need some extra large things that I reckon are about 3ft x 3ft ! Nothing suitable found so far......unless CR Models can help, this is to be investigated.

This evening, I've been fitting the windows to the building and painting the drainpipes.

If you remember, the window 'framing' was provided as a 'sheet' of material.

Each framing sheet was provided with an equally sized piece of glazing.

Using 'spray mount' on the back of the framing part, I then stuck this to the glazing, being careful not to smudge or fingerprint / smear etc. I really don't like fingerprints on models - they ruin photo's !

With the now 'raised' window frames facing INWARDS, I measured and then fixed the large side panels, using PVA adhesive. This focuses the detail inside the building for the purposes of taking pictures.

The main weathering will be done on the outside as per the prototype.

The window frames on the ends of the building were coloured black with permanent marker pen to aid weathering later. The side frames were left as supplied and just glued to the glazing sheet.

post-7088-0-55774300-1295132501_thumb.jpg

The plan is to replace the four I-girders at the front of the building for brass components, in connection with the working doors, so the end glazing isn't 'fixed' just yet, just fitted to check sizes.

post-7088-0-03413500-1295132595_thumb.jpg

Inside the building, the windows will eventually be obscured by a plethora of shelves, crane supports, ladders, junk and detail. External weathering will be done on the flat outside of the glazing !

post-7088-0-48217800-1295132606_thumb.jpg

Inside the 'Electric Loco. Shed'.............maybe we'll see Loco's in here before the olympics eh ?

post-7088-0-08830300-1295132617_thumb.jpg

Thats all for now,

Dave

Hi,

Thought I'd include the main reference picture that I'm working from right now.

post-7088-0-37584600-1295173681_thumb.jpg

This shows the main components and their position, such as guttering downpipes, roof railings and floodlights.

I am also using this for colour reference, although the side and front windows are black in appearance, they are still see through, as you can see from the farthest side window.

You can also see from this picture that the window framing is not an entirely accurate copy as it should in reality be formed of various vertical panes, not the uniform three rows as depicted.

The various window apertures should also be in slightly different locations relative to each other, however, these are small compromises that I can live with.

Now, back to the web to find some suitable floodlighting.......

Dave

Good Evening,

Finally, I am able to report that an important milestone has been reached, here at Battersea Stewarts Lane.

The correct floor colour has now been found and applied.

post-7088-0-38467600-1295473228_thumb.jpg

yes, yes, calm down...........I KNOW it's PINK !

This paint has been properly colour matched to the worn floor colour at Stew. Lane and the only real technical fault is that my paint has a pearlescent shine to it.

When slightly distressed and weathered, this shine will dull down, leaving it exactly in the condition in the pictures.

post-7088-0-89519500-1295473476_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-04989300-1295473489_thumb.jpg

In some of my pics, there is a drinks vending machine located just outside the downstairs office as shown.

The real one is not there now, but I think my 4mm scale staff will need refreshments when the fleet starts to arrive later this year !!!

Thanks Mr Bachmann.......

post-7088-0-12608900-1295473500_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-68306500-1295473509_thumb.jpg

Talking of Bachmann.......what a distraction, their all new Class 03 179. Totally irrelevant for my needs but a fantastic little model that I have nicknamed 'The Clockworker', due to it's extra smooth clockwork like mechanism !

post-7088-0-20480400-1295473519_thumb.jpg

Well, that's all for now.

I have a big delivery due tommorrow...................the working roller shutter doors for the Electric Loco. Shed. :D :D :D

I expect you'll be hearing from me........

All the best,

Dave

Good Morning,

Well, Bruce, you can see some doors but they're not working just yet ! ;)

A knock from postie this morning resulted in these components arriving...........

This is the first of two large etches, comprising of three door frames for our working roller shutter doors ;

post-7088-0-43171400-1295511897_thumb.jpg

This is an even bigger etch, containing all of the individual slats for each of the three doors, which your's truly will get to know intimately during the soldering process ;

post-7088-0-88582500-1295511937_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-80418200-1295511952_thumb.jpg

Also in the package is the drive system, including three of these motors, one per door :

post-7088-0-63021300-1295511924_thumb.jpg

Each motor is located underneath the baseboard and works it's door via a long shaft and gearbox arrangement, which is itself located in the top of the door frame ;

post-7088-0-27240800-1295511911_thumb.jpg

This little lot will just be looked at in detail for now and then work will start later this year, after I have learnt and understood how to move forward with the project.

Thats all for now,

See you soon,

Dave

Looking good Dave, as you say once weathered it will tone down. Love the 60 on shed, quality!

I am really looking forward to seeing the shutter doors, very interested in that part of your project as I have been wondering what to do about the doors on Boxenby. I suppose I could just have the doors closed to stop any enthusiasts seeing what is inside the shed!

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

Glad to see that you sorted the colour for the floor, at least now you will be able to move on!

Those roller shutter doors look very interesting and look forward to seeing the assembly of these. Certainly something that I've not seen modelled before.

Thanks guys,

I was actually expecting an onslaught of "Oi! Shedmaster....Nooooooo more pink !!!" or "He's been at the pink stuff again" or comments to that effect, so have got away lightly methinks ! :P

Mmmm.....can get the yellow line pit borders done next I hope.......

These doors are gonna be one hell of a project......this is one job I WON'T be doing twice, like I have everything else so far ! :rolleyes:

Somehow, I expect we'll see an all new 'OO' gauge 67' before these are actually installed !!!

Dave

Dave,

Later this year sounds way too late to start the doors. I think I speak for most watchers on here when I say, please make these soon as I for one would like to see how they turn out.

Any chance we can have a couplof pictures showing how the project looks in your layout room (shed!!) from a distance please?

Keep up the good work as I think the whole project looks absolutely fantastic so far.

Regards

Jeff

Thanks guys,

I was actually expecting an onslaught of "Oi! Shedmaster....Nooooooo more pink !!!" or "He's been at the pink stuff again" or comments to that effect, so have got away lightly methinks ! :P

Mmmm.....can get the yellow line pit borders done next I hope.......

These doors are gonna be one hell of a project......this is one job I WON'T be doing twice, like I have everything else so far ! :rolleyes:

Somehow, I expect we'll see an all new 'OO' gauge 67' before these are actually installed !!!

Dave

looking forward to seeing the doors. Just make sure you dont drive a loco through one of them!!!! Never goes down well.

Dave,

Later this year sounds way too late to start the doors. I think I speak for most watchers on here when I say, please make these soon as I for one would like to see how they turn out.

Any chance we can have a couplof pictures showing how the project looks in your layout room (shed!!) from a distance please?

Keep up the good work as I think the whole project looks absolutely fantastic so far.

Regards

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

The truth is I will get on with the doors as soon as possible, however, they are a custom design and build specifically for this building. I'm going to have to be really careful with these, but I'm also thinking about things such as the best way to paint the logo's on them, before or after making etc. I'm still new to actually 'doing' my own modelling work and so am making sure that I can get these done without any of my usual mistakes. :rolleyes:

I managed to dig out this library pic for you for now, until I take a distance shot for you of the overall layout in the shed.

post-7088-0-09741000-1295598454_thumb.jpg

looking forward to seeing the doors. Just make sure you dont drive a loco through one of them!!!! Never goes down well.

roger440, I've seen this done at work quite a few times and you're right, it doesn't go down well ! I will hopefully add an interlock to my doors here, so that if any of the three are down, they short the rails and therefore the Dynamis controller. This is principally a good idea but if I then just raised the doors a little to release the short, I could still potentially crash into them !!!! :O

robgregson1, love your comments r.e the door motor, I saw this too and love the detail in there. I also thought the gearbox looked well made too, and to hold it in your hand and feel the quality was something else !

Hope to report some more progress soon.......

Thanks,

Dave

Jeff,

I forgot to mention, the layout is 12ft x 4ft in size, divisible into one 8ft x 4ft and one 4ft x 4ft section. The idea is that if we move house or anything, two men can shift the 8 x 4 relatively...........easily.

An 8ft x 4ft, 9mm plywood sheet sits on top of three 'Brilliant Baseboards' frames.

post-7088-0-34070600-1295654626_thumb.jpg

A 4ft x 4ft extension is planned at the left hand of the above shot, and this will form the headshunt & departure roads via the Carriage Washing Machine..................one day.

This evening, a workplan has started to come together regarding our working doors and the way forward................gonna be needing a few new tools methinks !

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

It is certainly coming together well now. I think you have got the colour spot on for your floor and like you say the weathering will take away the shine to it. Those doors however are going to be very impressive and whenever you do get around to them I shall certainly keep an eye out for your progress. They well be well worth taking a long time over to get them working as you plan. Very good attention to detail.

Keep up the good work,

Mark

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

After walking away and sulking because my floor wasn't going how I would have liked, I have now returned afresh.

I decided to try doing things another way, and discovered that I could buy an 8ft x 4ft sheet of plasticard and cut out the floor as a single sheet !

I spent an unhealthy length of time perfecting the sheet ready for cutting and can finally say I have done just the job.

The sheet was cut out to size and painted. The result of the painting was excellent this time, although I had to ask a friend for some help.

When dry and checked for faults ( there were none found ) I masked off and added the yellow lines around the pits.

The first under track uncoupling ramp has been buried in position, I'm just waiting to order two more when I can find a stockist.

Here area couple of progress shots......before I start to glue things down !

post-7088-0-66513800-1299258850_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-08543700-1299258861_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-33669100-1299258870_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-18316400-1299258880_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-24428100-1299258888_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-65022900-1299258898_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Dave

Archived