Railex 2012

David Bigcheeseplant

We do try our best to get people parked, and all our car park stewards have radios so if they do see a space becoming avalible then they will do the best to direct you to it, some drivers on the other hand do ignore instructions and do there own thing, also there are the swim school and gym users who seem to think they own the space outside the front door as they always park there.

We could always not man the car park at all and let it become a free for all, but it is our aim is to get people parked either in the main car park the area to the side of the runnnig track or direct people to our car park in the hospital grounds. If our stewards are a bit grumpy it may be that they have had a verbal from a previous car.

Normally our stewards are a cheerful group and the show really would not happen without them, If you are polite to them I am sure they will respond in the same manner. This weekend looks like it will be fine weather although in the past we have had heavy rain, and our lads and ladies in the car park have been really soaked, when I am sure they would have prefered to be dry and inside the show rather than outside directing traffic.

We have always been open with the information in getting to Railex, we would love more on-site parking but that is something out of our control as when its full its full. You can park in the hospital pay and display, on Elm Farm Road close to our Railex bus stop. or get our free vintage bus or a service bus from the town centre.

All the people involved with Railex give up there spare time to make it happen, we have tried to ensure everything we do will make the visit to Railex enjoyable, next year there will be new chalanges when the new roadway opens.

David

David - Yes you do get people parked but and it is not an easy job however stewards in the car park giving conflicting instructions and then being annoyed with a customer of you Show in totally unacceptable. Yes some that visit drivers I am sure some drivers are difficult however to portray your car park stewards as faultless is hard to swallow! Mine was not an isolated incident and the stewards antics in your car park at your shows are widely talked about by various people whenever Railex is mentioned!

For some car park stewarding appears to be their moment of power, rather than helping your visitors and club. That said I look forward to attending your show again this year and I hope it is a successful one.

Nigel

Just been informed by SWMBO that w're not going for a day out with the kids tomorrow, she wants to stay at home to tidy up etc... and then added... so you can go to the show. Woohooo, but I'm sure it'll cost in brownie points later on.

see you there!

Being polite to the car park guys (they are not paid and don't have to do it) is likely to achieve a more favourable response. Rudeness is likely to mirror a similar response for what I imagine can be a tricky job at times with so many people coming and going. If I came across a stroppy motorist, my evil streak would be to park them somewhere where they get blocked in, luckily for these guys I'm not on the gate.

Moving on; really looking forward to this weekend! Just about to pack the stock and weather a couple of new wagons before loading up. This will be the first time I've done the Sat evening bash so I've been to the chemist today for Sunday morning after hangover medications!

Cheers!

Chris

• RMweb Premium

... This will be the first time I've done the Sat evening bash so I've been to the chemist today for Sunday morning after hangover medications!

If it's the same pub as previous years then with the large range of real ales you will need medication for Sunday morning! Move slowly if you need to duck down below the baseboards.

Hopefully will see all you good folks (suffering hangovers) on Sunday.

Cheers

Dave

I've been to the chemist today for Sunday morning after hangover medications!

When you asked the young lady behind the counter for the morning after pill did you encounter any strange looks?

Being polite to the car park guys (they are not paid and don't have to do it) is likely to achieve a more favourable response. Rudeness is likely to mirror a similar response for what I imagine can be a tricky job at times with so many people coming and going. If I came across a stroppy motorist, my evil streak would be to park them somewhere where they get blocked in, luckily for these guys I'm not on the gate.

Moving on; really looking forward to this weekend! Just about to pack the stock and weather a couple of new wagons before loading up. This will be the first time I've done the Sat evening bash so I've been to the chemist today for Sunday morning after hangover medications!

Cheers!

Chris

Sorry Chris you made a wrong assumption in that the motorist is the villan I am always polite and those who know me will confirm that however on 2 occasions it was the stewards that were rude.

Nigel

Hi,

Well, as one of the car park stewards on duty tomorrow, I want to say that we try and do our best at getting people spaces near the building, but due to the vast volume of traffic for both the show and the centre as general this isn't always possible.

If you do stuck waiting tomorrow, do as Ian G says and bear with us, we will be as polite as possible!

Chris

Chris, I do get the odd person for the show that is rude to me and I try to be as polite and helpful as I can, but 90% of people for the show are perfectly cheery, it's the mums and others going to the gym who are the rudest!

Anyway, we're going abit off topic, see you tomorrow!

Simon

Hi,

Well, as one of the car park stewards on duty tomorrow, I want to say that we try and do our best at getting people spaces near the building, but due to the vast volume of traffic for both the show and the centre as general this isn't always possible.

If you do stuck waiting tomorrow, do as Ian G says and bear with us, we will be as polite as possible!

Chris, I do get the odd person for the show that is rude to me and I try to be as polite and helpful as I can, but 90% of people for the show are perfectly cheery, it's the mums and others going to the gym who are the rudest!

Anyway, we're going abit off topic, see you tomorrow!

Simon

So Simon from a 4mm yard and depot of Aylesbury to a full size yard full of cars :locomotive: I makesure Graham. who will be driving tomorrow calls you sir when we arrive. :laugh_mini: :laugh_mini:

Nigel

Great show as very high standard of layouts and traders, thanks must go to both the exhibitors and organizers. It would be unfair to single out any one layout .

As said lovely to see Len of Exactoscale looking so well and spent most of my money with him, hopefully he will be trading normally very soon.

Dont let the weather be an excuse to miss the show, you will regret it.

Very good show; one of the best I've ever been to. Really good to see so many faces and chat. Got there early so parkign was no problem... very accomodating attendants; bacon butties very good before the show... and got a good overview of the exhib from he balcony... joined the back of the very long queue and then was pleased to see the doors next to us to let us in.... showed my ticket - pink 118 - got my number ;-) a nice chat with Brian (EE) and then Ian Penberth for the sprung diesel bogies... very interesting. Not sure I'll be able to manage these but I'm going to give these a go if I can. Nice to see Simon and Terry B and Danny on the S4 stand, the St Blazey chaps... isn't that dutchy layout nice! Met Graham Muz helping Chris N... very nice brewery quay; Jim S-W on Moor St.... and Ivan (HT) towards the end when chatting with Brian again.... and I was nearly swayed by the 2mm stand (no my eyesight isn't up to it - tempting though it might have been). Just came away with a Iain Rice book and the new MRJ and a three point track guage... but with many many ideas. Burntisland is superb... just love the shaving foam shipping wake.... This is a great show; yes it was warm, but the warm weather's here for a while so don't let the sunshine put you off attending.

Jon

joined the back of the very long queue and then was pleased to see the doors next to us to let us in....

Jon you must have been standing right next to me and didn't know it :) I think I was 3rd through that door and very pleased at the steward who let us through.

I was also 2nd into the hospital car park - excellent - I actually remembered where it was this year.

A big thank you to David and his team - we are all getting used to the high quality and variety of layouts and trade at Railex it is becoming a level of expectation. Difficult to better each year?

Didn't get much time to chat as I was under orders to get back home by mid afternoon. I did get the impression the numbers were down a bit this year? either that or there seemed to be more space, no real pushing to get to the front of layouts and I past a few traders who were looking rather forlorn without much customer activity. I hope this was not the case.

Well done everyone - enjoy your pint.

Hello All

I spent most of today and no doubt tomorrow on the Club's Secondhand stall.

During a brief escape I got a couple of shots from the balcony.

post-7053-0-23652800-1338063179_thumb.jpg

post-7053-0-05589200-1338063199_thumb.jpg

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

Excellent day out!

Parked in the usual place - the bit of scrubbly ground by the tall chimney, directed there by the usual friendly stewards. In the hall by 10:35am and a great selection of layouts. As usual with Railex there were no duffers, and it was Clarendon that appealed the most. What I liked was that it seemed to be a true exhibition layout - something always moving (and frequently more than one), high standard of modelling throughout, great buildings, street scenes, a screen showing what movements were taking place, and particularly innovative was the idea of having shelves in the fiddleyard where stock was placed, and then back these with perspex so that viewers can take a good look at the rolling stock without having to peer over the top of the fiddleyard backscene/view block. One of those 'why don't they all do that?' ideas.

Special mentions also to Diesels in the Duchy, Canada Road, Albion Yard, Brewhouse Quay... oh and the rest. Frankly, it was all excellent.

By 2:30 it had started to get pretty hot in there (I was just in shorts and t-shirt - one bloke was carrying a duffle coat!), so I called it a day. Spots: Chris Nevard, Captain Kernow, some young lady building stuff on the 2mm stand... :)

See you in 2013.

I went to the show today with Jim Connor. Nice to bump into the Captain and all the other usual rmweb suspects. Spent too much money as per usual and left with a bag full of goodies (not the 70's TV show variety). I was thoroughly impressed with this year's show and the usual high standard of the layouts.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Flying Pig & I went today and thoroughly enjoyed the show. We had been wondering about going as the number of layouts seemed down this year and there were one or two 'old friends' in the selection. However we were generally impressed with the standard of the layouts. Had a nice chat with, amongst others, Alan Whitehouse of Mini MSW. We found most people friendly including the car park attendants (stirling work there in the heat of the day!). We didn't arrive till about 11.30 but got parked OK by the running track, which was a nice spot for lunch later watching red kites and sundry aircraft.

Ralph

Lambton 58

Preproduction 56xx chassis from High Level was beautiful and we've been running it on Brinkley so far this weekend :).

post-174-0-54464700-1338078369_thumb.jpg

post-174-0-52006400-1338078416_thumb.jpg

post-174-0-49103500-1338078445_thumb.jpg

An interesting modification to normal beam compensation to allow the swing of the radial truck while it carries some weight.

I had a rather enjoyable day at Railex as well, seeing as i don't live to far away.

As per normal the layouts there are what i come to expect from this exhibition with the quality being extremely high! I was suprised it wasn't as busy as I had expected, easy to move around not to crowded round the layouts which is good, so well done to the organisers, good show as always.

I have also made a small video from today...hopefully its ok and all correct, as it was about 1:30 am when i finished it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJk15bVk46I

• RMweb Premium

Should be fairly empty tomorrow judging by the above posts :O but certainly sounds as if it will be worth the cost of the diesel and I've got an advance ticket (001 as it happens :sungum:) so looking forward to a good day out.

Be sure to say hello to the Diesels in the Duchy (and now Black Country Blues) mob Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Had an enjoyable time, the emphasis appeared to be on fine scale modelling and it was not a disappointment in that respect. Good mix of trade and layouts, friendly atmosphere. It was interesting to see so many layouts that that were pre grouping or private owner themes which was a nice change. I would have liked to see a couple more contemporary and BR layouts, that is not a complaint just an observation. My personal favourite was 'Diesels in the Duchy' because of my family ties with St.Blazey, I also really enjoyed 'Burntisland'. Congratulations to all involved in putting on another excellent show.

Back to the stadium for Railex day two in a bit,

After some very late changes on Frioday night and Sturday morning Len Newman has a smaller than normal Exactoscale stand.

I had to leave the Saturday night bash before the end to go to a frends 30th birthay bash, we had our own barrel of real ale in the marquee that we drank dry, the land lady said she didn't expect us to drink so much, so had to provide jugs of beers from the main bar.

Anyway it was rather nice sitting in the garden in the evening sun.

It was hot in the stadium but even hotter when I went outside, and a welcome sight when an ice cream van turned up

David

• RMweb Gold

I hope that your head isn't too thick this morning David!

Thanks for an excellent show. Good as ever. All the quality trade that I needed & some top layouts. My personal favourite was Albion Yard, beautifully observed and presented. I was particularly taken with the innovative 'photographic vinyl printed' continuous backscene. A very effective solution to a perenial problem and a totally new (to me) idea.

The DRAG lot (including CK, 10800, Taz & Brinkly) had a real fun time out. We got back rather late after a good supper in a pub near Bath and I'm waiting to hear if one of our party managed to get the last ferry across the river, to avoid a 30 mile detour!

Archived