Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

• RMweb Gold

My local model shop has just stopped stocking paint because of the cost of shipping

Does anyone know any good places online to purchase paints - mainly humbrol / phoenix / railmatch?

Cheers

Google is your friend :-)

Back to bargains.....hopefully !

is there really any need for this? Its a genuine question

I am sorry if I have offended you in some way, although I am struggling to see how I may have managed this

Hi,

You haven't offended but this is a thread for listing found bargains not asking where one might find them - a lot of people have this thread on notifications so don't want to be informed of stuff that isn't a bargain.

If the thread meanders (as it does) off topic then you usually see posts reminding you.

For questions just raise a topic in an appropriate forum and someone will help.

• RMweb Premium

I have renamed the thread to "Post a Bargain! (No discussions / questions)"

Before you post your Bargain find, please consider the following:

A) Is it an actual bargain? (yes I know this is subjective), to me a £200 item being sold for £190 isn't but if it had a price tag around the £130-40 mark then worthy of inclusion.

B) Is it available to all? Is there more than one available? This can include specific locations (e.g. Ian Allen in Birmingham that appears quite regularly in this thread). Yes if they really want the "Bargain" people will have to travel.

C) is it current? No posts of the "xxxx was selling a Hornby King for £50 at last weeks exhibition at yyyy" type.

If someone posts a Bargain find in good faith, please don't shoot them down just because it's available for £10 cheaper in a little known shop with no internet presence. Please just post it up as a Bargain with some details about the shop e.g. Opening hours and a good contact number.

Thanks to all those that have been posting the bargains, let's keep them coming!

• RMweb Gold

I have renamed the thread to "Post a Bargain! (No discussions / questions)"

Before you post your Bargain find, please consider the following:

A) Is it an actual bargain? (yes I know this is subjective), to me a £200 item being sold for £190 isn't but if it had a price tag around the £130-40 mark then worthy of inclusion.

B) Is it available to all? Is there more than one available? This can include specific locations (e.g. Ian Allen in Birmingham that appears quite regularly in this thread). Yes if they really want the "Bargain" people will have to travel.

C) is it current? No posts of the "xxxx was selling a Hornby King for £50 at last weeks exhibition at yyyy" type.

If someone posts a Bargain find in good faith, please don't shoot them down just because it's available for £10 cheaper in a little known shop with no internet presence. Please just post it up as a Bargain with some details about the shop e.g. Opening hours and a good contact number.

Thanks to all those that have been posting the bargains, let's keep them coming!

Does it have to be railway stuff as I have food bargains occasionally. :jester: 

For those who don't want to spend that sort of money - https://www.banggood.com/Soldering-Iron-Kit-Gun-Variable-Temperature-Solder-Iron-Solder-Lead-Wire-p-1038641.html?rmmds=search - available with UK or EU plug - £8.02 and no postage . Been using a similar one for 6 months+ now with no problems or complaints

Important though.

It only goes down to 200 deg.

you'll get the topic name changed again!!! (no discussions / comments / questions) ... because some folk are incapable of scrolling past anything other than 'bargains'

Am I to take it that the member who starts a topic can dictate what is, and what is not, subsequently posted therein?

Surely the object of a discussion group is to discuss - not just be a source of cheapo products?

IMHO, if a thread throws up a discussion related to a bargain that has been posted, then the forum is serving its wider function.

Perhaps we should preface posts that actually contain bargains with BARGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   so that those who are only interested in discounts can find them?

Just an idea ............. :nono:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

There is such a thing as online etiquette that was honed on precurssors to forums such as this (long before rmweb came along). It's called Netiquette. You can read about it here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquette_in_technology

Please pay particular attention to the sections about topic hijack and going off topic.

Now let's get back to bargains please?

• RMweb Premium

I won't bother posting any more notifications about bargains I have seen on here as the subsequent discussions/questions on said bargains have offended some and have been ruled offside..

As far as I am concerned many of the questions/queries/comments are legitimate as part of the bargain finding process.

A forum is by definition a place to discuss and IMHO if there are comments/discussions/questions about a bargain it is hardly "off topic" or "topic hijack"

Keith

There is such a thing as online etiquette that was honed on precurssors to forums such as this (long before rmweb came along). It's called Netiquette. You can read about it here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquette_in_technology

Please pay particular attention to the sections about topic hijack and going off topic.

Now let's get back to bargains please?

It maybe worth looking up the definition of Forum.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/forum

A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

A website or web page where users can post comments about a particular issue or topic and reply to other users' postings.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

I won't bother posting any more notifications about bargains I have seen on here as the subsequent discussions/questions on said bargains have offended some and have been ruled offside..

As far as I am concerned many of the questions/queries/comments are legitimate as part of the bargain finding process.

A forum is by definition a place to discuss and IMHO if there are comments/discussions/questions about a bargain it is hardly "off topic" or "topic hijack"

Keith

I don't think anyone's saying discussion can't continue on a bargain, but this thread isn't the place for it. Start a new thread, and you may get others interested who wouldn't necessarily watch bargain hunters. They may give you info' you wouldn't have otherwise have got.

Rob

Edit: An important ' & t missing, sorry.

I don't think anyone's saying discussion can continue on a bargain, but this thread isn't the place for it. Start a new thread, and you may get others interested who wouldn't necessarily watch bargain hunters. They may give you info' you wouldn't have otherwise have got.

Rob

Well you have me buggered with this response!!!!!!!

Khris

• RMweb Gold

You can't stop posting, you are my eyes on the ground for Ian Allen in Birmingham.

I have actually changed my travel plans through the midlands when you have posted about something I've been looking for so I could call in and buy it!!

• RMweb Gold

Bargain 20 at Rails https://beta.railsofsheffield.com/class-20-141-br-green-with-full-yellow-ends-weathered-diesel-locomotive-JJJA27621?utm_source=Mailing+List&utm_campaign=bf3601fd4c-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_05_09&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_74d01bc2ed-bf3601fd4c-5304393

Sorry if my bargain post offends the discussion junkies :-)

This might be my last bargain posting as im sick of my mailbox being filled with topic irrelevant updates.

• RMweb Gold

Bargain 20 at Rails https://beta.railsofsheffield.com/class-20-141-br-green-with-full-yellow-ends-weathered-diesel-locomotive-JJJA27621?utm_source=Mailing+List&utm_campaign=bf3601fd4c-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_05_09&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_74d01bc2ed-bf3601fd4c-5304393

Sorry if my bargain post offends the discussion junkies :-)

This might be my last bargain posting as im sick of my mailbox being filled with topic irrelevant updates.

Don't stop posting bargains, Just switch the updates off and check in when you see there is a new post in "my content" that's what I do

Sorry to fill your inbox futher!

Archived