Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

I passed through Fenwicks today myself and had a quick look.

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much, those reduced loco's haven't changed in months. The only one I couldn't see that must have been sold was the O1, everything else looked much the same as last time I was in there.

I see they had P2's on display though. Nice to finally see it!

I'll keep an eye out when I'm passing, but point noted about not to expect further reductions.

Model Fair seems to have some keen prices at the moment. (I refrain from using the word "bargain" when talking about model railway prices nowadays, but they're significantly cheaper than other sellers.)

Bachmann MEAs for less than £10 (Hattons price £12.71), BAAs for around £16 (around £22 at all other retailers), Hornby KFA for under £26. All types of eras and stock available so definitely worth a look

Unfortunately the BAA's give a page not found error or similar, so I guess I'm too late.

I find my "bargains" in the local charity shops :no:  like Bachmann 47535 fitted with dcc sound,bought for the sum of £30 :senile:

How calm did you manage to remain between discovering it, paying for it and leaving the shop?! :mosking:

The people running the "shop" class model railways as "kids" Toys :scratchhead: so were priced as secondhand worn out toys to them...

Although, when I started the equivalent thread back on the old RMweb, I'd intended it to be a thread to share bargains that anyone else could share in, it's still good to hear of one-off outrageous bargains. However, I think I've just topped it today...

I like to browse in local charity shops, as I'm sure many of us do, on the lookout for interesting books, DVD, or indeed toys that might be useful in future modelling projects.This morning, in such a shop, my eye was drawn to a couple of boxes with pictures of vehicles on them, and "HO" prominently displayed. Looking closer, I was almost too astonished to know what to do. They were unopened Faller Car System starter packs! Clearly, the staff had treated them as if they were Revell kits or similar, based on the price. Not only that, but on the same shelf was an articulated truck, also Faller. The combined price tag was almost too low to tell you what I paid - a quick Google, after all, suggests that I've bought myself £300-worth of kit for very little at all.

On top of which, I picked up a decent-sized bag of Lego for a fiver, all of which was 30-year-old castle-themed stuff, including a dozen or more minifigures!

• RMweb Premium

Although, when I started the equivalent thread back on the old RMweb, I'd intended it to be a thread to share bargains that anyone else could share in, it's still good to hear of one-off outrageous bargains. However, I think I've just topped it today...

I like to browse in local charity shops, as I'm sure many of us do, on the lookout for interesting books, DVD, or indeed toys that might be useful in future modelling projects.This morning, in such a shop, my eye was drawn to a couple of boxes with pictures of vehicles on them, and "HO" prominently displayed. Looking closer, I was almost too astonished to know what to do. They were unopened Faller Car System starter packs! Clearly, the staff had treated them as if they were Revell kits or similar, based on the price. Not only that, but on the same shelf was an articulated truck, also Faller. The combined price tag was almost too low to tell you what I paid - a quick Google, after all, suggests that I've bought myself £300-worth of kit for very little at all.

On top of which, I picked up a decent-sized bag of Lego for a fiver, all of which was 30-year-old castle-themed stuff, including a dozen or more minifigures!

Where's the 'Green with envy' button when you need it?

Steve K: I agree with you, both that the intent of the thread should be for bargains everyone can take advantage of but also in telling us of such on-off bargains. The latter go to show that in our hunt for bargain buys, we could and should widen our scopes to include non-model shops, including the charity shops and other sometimes out of the way places. 

While the individual bargain may not be repeatable, the source of those bargains may well provide more, similar bargains in the future ... provided they don't read RMweb!

• RMweb Gold

Of course, as it was a charity shop and you knew the true worth, you gave them a fair price above what they were asking, you wouldn't want that on your conscience would you?

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure your comment is tongue in cheek Mike. I actually think its a win-win. There is no warranty or come-back with a charity shop so you are taking a bit of a risk if you buy something from them. They could wait forever to sell it for a market price, and they have had the item donated for nothing. They  get a decent sized sum for the charity and (provided all works as it should) the buyer gets a bargain. I'd have no concerns about buying at a bargain price from a charity shop, but if they asked for the full going rate, I'd buy it from a retailer who could test, guarantee and replace the item if necessary.

Of course, as it was a charity shop and you knew the true worth, you gave them a fair price above what they were asking, you wouldn't want that on your conscience would you?

Mike.

Well, I didn't try to haggle them down, let's put it that way.

I'm sure your comment is tongue in cheek Mike. I actually think its a win-win. There is no warranty or come-back with a charity shop so you are taking a bit of a risk if you buy something from them. They could wait forever to sell it for a market price, and they have had the item donated for nothing. They  get a decent sized sum for the charity and (provided all works as it should) the buyer gets a bargain. I'd have no concerns about buying at a bargain price from a charity shop, but if they asked for the full going rate, I'd buy it from a retailer who could test, guarantee and replace the item if necessary.

Colin, thank you for lightening my conscience a little with your reasoned reply! Rest assured that I visit this shop most weeks, and will continue to do so, but in the short term, I may be tempted to buy something a little overpriced from them, just to balance things out a bit.

Well, I didn't try to haggle them down, let's put it that way.

Colin, thank you for lightening my conscience a little with your reasoned reply! Rest assured that I visit this shop most weeks, and will continue to do so, but in the short term, I may be tempted to buy something a little overpriced from them, just to balance things out a bit.

Last year one of the local charity shops had a mixture of OO and TT,  all at very low prices - I bought what I wanted and doubled what they asked, then suggested more sensible values for the rest and watched in trepidation for a fortnight - but all were sold.

John

• RMweb Premium

are those the ones that are not exactly accurate in some (major) way?

I'm not aware of any major issues. Could be a good buy to put behind a 68 for the Mountsorrel-Crewe working. I guess the main problem is that they normally work in block trains, so you need to buy a few at once.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I'm not aware of any major issues. Could be a good buy to put behind a 68 for the Mountsorrel-Crewe working. I guess the main problem is that they normally work in block trains, so you need to buy a few at once.

Cheers,

Mick

its weird that i was looking at those on hattons about 10mins before you posted the link, was thinking about getting 4 or 5 of them

if i remember right they were selling their weathered ones a few months back for the same price

its weird that i was looking at those on hattons about 10mins before you posted the link, was thinking about getting 4 or 5 of them

if i remember right they were selling their weathered ones a few months back for the same price

Yes they was and the JNA was on sale at the same time.

It might be worth checking Dapol out at the next Warley show because they was selling them off for £10 each both the JNA and the IOA's when I went year before. 

Tesco are doing double up your Clubcard points. I got £80 worth of glasses for £40 worth of vouchers (which was all I had), so the glasses were effectively free. Result!

Not sure what other things you can spend them on, although the bloke in front of me bought a Hudl.

Ed

Good price on Hornby R6622 Trout wagon, postage £3.80: http://www.jotohobbies.com/zjo-trout-ballast-hopper-wagon-p-6160.html?manufacturers_id=6

Don't know how many they've got in stock, but they do reply to e-mail enquiries promptly.

I'd never heard of the shop before; came up in a Google search.

They seem to have some interesting looking metal kits from someone called Metal Earth, but their knowledge of railway terminology is a bit suspect:

"The Steam Locomotive is a train that produces its power from a steam engine. The train must carry its water either in the locomotive itself or in an attached car behind the locomotive. The steam is produced by burning coal, wood or oil. Steam engines dominated railway transportation from the early 19th century through the middle of the 20th century.

Metal kit with 2 sheets of pop out metal Parts. "

These are supposed to be 3D laser cut metal kits, and a Model T Ford looks particularly fine, for just £10, but there is no indication of scale - all the kits, including a Lancaster bomber are described as:

• Length: 0.19
  • Width: 0.13
  • Height: 0.05
  • Products Weight: 0.10

with no indication of what units are being invoked.

Archived