rails of sheffield

david heath

• 6 months later...
Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Yesterday,  Linda placed an order for a pre-owned Kibri kit. The Rails representative was both patient and exceptionally helpful offering both a discount and an upgrade to next day delivery for a minuscule additional amount.

An hour ago, the parcel arrived, perfectly packed. I call that very good service.

We have already sent an email to Rails thanking them and wishing them a merry Christmas.

Tim and Linda

Well, I have received, on time, everything sent to me by traders via Royal Mail, despite apparent industrial action.

The only order I haven't received is my Rails of Sheffield order, entrusted to DPD. Marked on the Rails website on 8 December as "fulfilled", this order is still missing in action.

Every day DPD sends me a text giving me a time when it will be delivered. Every day they fail and send a text promising it for tomorrow.

Well, in DPD world it seems tomorrow never comes.

Grrrrrrr!

A DPD chat-bot asked how it could help with my parcel, I replied "by delivering the bloody thing!"

If this is what we have to look forward to on the eventual demise of Royal Mail ...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

I believe couriers including DPD are struggling with the volume of parcels that they are dealing with as a result of the Royal Mail strikes. RM service is very dependent on where you live and how the mail is routed. Here in South London it is desperately bad, Special Delivery and Tracked 24 generally come through OK, Tracked 48 has become Tracked Eventually and as for packets or letters with a stamp on them, well a month seems good going and the service has all but collapsed (which is I guess what they want, but if you are small trader you are now just collateral damage).

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

I have had no trouble with the couriers, everything seems to be travelling at least as fast as normal, albeit that's slower than the Post Office. 

Royal Mail are still delivering letters (some days) and supposedly giving priority to medical supplies, but I have now run out of some of my meds even though were ordered earlier than usual.  Fortunately the ones I'm short of are only those to keep my cholesterol OK.  So I'm not going to waste an hour trying to get through on the phone to my GP for an emergency prescription as I've got about a months stockpile of the ones that do matter.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered 'Nesta' from Rails on the afternoon of 22 December and it arrived on 23 December (strike day) via Royal Mail.  Excellent service from both Rails and RM.🙂

Unfortunately I wasn't expecting such prompt service and was out at the time the parcel was being delivered so will have to wait until 28 December for it to be redelivered.😥 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Quick question if anyone can help please. I am trying to make sure my bank details are up to date on my Rails account (Accurascale 37 on pre-order and hopefully here soon). I can't find anywhere in my account to check or add card details, am I missing something or looking in the wrong place? I can ring when they are back open from xmas if needs be but just wondering if there's something obvious? 

Many Thanks

6 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

If you search for your order confirmation in your email they charge a card as you preorder ( well they have for me anyway ) it shows on there for me. 

I had a similar problem with Rails a few months ago.  I couldn't work out to change my contact details on their website, so I phoned them.  A very nice lady said that was correct and that she would have to do it for me.  Apparently their newly introduced software is great for them to process orders within the shop but is less than helpful externally for customers. I think they are seriously missing a trick here as far as customer convenience goes.  Hopefully they have updated it by now.

Peterfgf

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, SHerr said:

Quick question if anyone can help please. I am trying to make sure my bank details are up to date on my Rails account (Accurascale 37 on pre-order and hopefully here soon). I can't find anywhere in my account to check or add card details, am I missing something or looking in the wrong place? I can ring when they are back open from xmas if needs be but just wondering if there's something obvious? 

Many Thanks

I've been in this position too, and there's nowhere I can find to check or alter your payment details. I ended up having to phone them as the card I used to pre-order the Bulleid coaches had expired. Furthermore, even though these coaches have been successfully delivered, it now says I have no order history. 

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, RFS said:

I've been in this position too, and there's nowhere I can find to check or alter your payment details. I ended up having to phone them as the card I used to pre-order the Bulleid coaches had expired. Furthermore, even though these coaches have been successfully delivered, it now says I have no order history. 

Thanks, at least it’s not me! My cards expired hence trying to update. I will give them a bell.

• 9 months later...
18 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Well,maybe.But I wonder how some of the smaller retailers view this. Also,does this mark a sea change

( once again ) in Hornby’s retail distribution policy and are we seeing the dismantling of their current system ?

As a small retailer, l welcome this news. Shouldn’t have happened in the first place, down to one person’s ego. 

Can only hope that the current system is not so much dismantled, more like demolished.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

As a small retailer, l welcome this news. Shouldn’t have happened in the first place, down to one person’s ego. 

Can only hope that the current system is not so much dismantled, more like demolished.

Is it the end of Tiers ?  I hope so 

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

The very small model shop I semi-regularly visit in rural Sussex is run by a lovely couple. They were explaining SK came in & his management team changed the system with the tier policy.

Things like withholding certain new releases for no reason, taking over 2 weeks to reply to stock requests, being refused allocations or only given ONE example of a model leading to very disappointed regular customers. Mention was made of him leaving & the couple hoping that new management, financial control & leadership would try to get smaller retailers back on side & not alienate them.

Edited by Rich_F
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

So we can probably expect a similar Hattons announcement in due course if they are allowed to pre-order and not just get the left overs

Think thats already happened . But open to correction 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 11/02/2019 at 20:38, royaloak said:

Do you honestly expect them to check every loco works as it should before posting it out?

As John McEnroe famously said 'you cannot be serious'.

That loco is obviously defective from manufacture so not the distributors fault!

Sale of goods act - supplier is responsible not the manufacturer…….

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

So we can probably expect a similar Hattons announcement in due course if they are allowed to pre-order and not just get the left overs

Are you perhaps confusing this with Bachmann’s current embargo on Hattons ?I don’t believe Hornby acted in quite such a draconian fashion. True that there were certain differences of opinion but they weren’t completely struck off.

7 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Are you perhaps confusing this with Bachmann’s current embargo on Hattons ?I don’t believe Hornby acted in quite such a draconian fashion. True that there were certain differences of opinion but they weren’t completely struck off.

They were dumped into Tier 4 for a time only able to purchase the stuff that was for the bargain bin.

• Informative/Useful 1