Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

Hello all,

interesting that they've gone for that type of fixed bunker as that was the type that was removed and replaced with the rotating bunker. But it does make sense as the front and rear tanks are the same size, the same as the chimney and dome. As the early ones had smaller front tanks and shorter chimneys and domes among other things.

All in all it looks a nice model.

OzzyO.

They are doing both versions

True they are doing two types out of the three main types, so to sum up the types with the main differences listed in a rough date order.

1], square sided coal bunker (later fitted with a single coal rail, IIRC one had two fitted, 7 ton capacity), small front water tank, short chimney and dome, vac. brakes, screw couplings and brakes fitted to the pony trucks (latter removed approx the 1930s).

2], angled top to the coal bunker with a canvas cover (one had a coal pusher fitted), large front water tank, tall chimney and dome, three link couplings and brakes fitted to the pony trucks (latter removed approx the 1930s).

3], rotating coal bunker (9 ton capacity), large front water tank, tail chimney and dome, three link couplings and no brakes on the pony trucks.

There may have been more differences (probable were), IIRC the first three all kept the straight sided bunker and the vac. brakes until the end.

HTH

OzzyO.

PS. if you want to see a photo showing the difference in size between the two front tanks please drop me a PM until I can have a word with Bob about putting it up on here.

Edit; to change the coal capacity's.

Edited by ozzyo

Hello all,

a bit more on the Garratts. The liveries, with out going in to the types and styles of numbers and letters.

1], L.M.S. or B.R. black.

2], L.M.S. black only.

3], L.M.S. or B.R. black.

OzzyO.

True they are doing two types out of the three main types, so to sum up the types with the main differences listed in a rough date order.

1], square sided coal bunker (later fitted with a single coal rail, IIRC one had two fitted, 7 ton capacity), small front water tank, short chimney and dome, vac. brakes, screw couplings and brakes fitted to the pony trucks (latter removed approx the 1930s).

2], angled top to the coal bunker with a canvas cover (one had a coal pusher fitted), large front water tank, tall chimney and dome, three link couplings and brakes fitted to the pony trucks (latter removed approx the 1930s).

3], rotating coal bunker (9 ton capacity), large front water tank, tail chimney and dome, three link couplings and no brakes on the pony trucks.

There may have been more differences (probable were), IIRC the first three all kept the straight sided bunker and the vac. brakes until the end.

HTH

OzzyO.

PS. if you want to see a photo showing the difference in size between the two front tanks please drop me a PM until I can have a word with Bob about putting it up on here.

Edit; to change the coal capacity's.

Hi

According to my records, and using final numbering, only 47998 & 47999 retained the fixed bunker to the end. 47997 is marked as " Rebuilt with detail alterations, later fitted with revolving bunker ". Did the alterations & rebuilding involve replacing the original low front tank with the larger version? or are we left with a one off, revolving bunker and low front tank?

Roger

Hi

According to my records, and using final numbering, only 47998 & 47999 retained the fixed bunker to the end. 47997 is marked as " Rebuilt with detail alterations, later fitted with revolving bunker ". Did the alterations & rebuilding involve replacing the original low front tank with the larger version? or are we left with a one off, revolving bunker and low front tank?

Roger

Hello Roger, all,

that may have been the first loco to have been fitted with a rotating bunker (7 tons?) as I remember one of the bunkers was different to all the others. It's pointed out in one of the books on Garratts.

One of the locos (from the first three?) did have it's front tank enlarged, maybe the same loco? you can see that in any photo of the loco, as you can see the "patch" along the bottom of the front tank.

Looks like I may have to get my books out on the L.M.S. Garratts.

OzzyO.

Edit: just had a quick look in a book and it's 47997 that had the enlarged front tank, and rotating bunker..

Edited by ozzyo

Hello guys, I was just about to order the LMS 4970 version of the Beyer Garratt. However I have just thought how would the fixed bunker Garratts go around corners? Also the money for the pre-order wouldn't go out until the model had been released right? Sorry if this has been said before.

Many thanks!

Garethp8873.

Hello guys, I was just about to order the LMS 4970 version of the Beyer Garratt. However I have just thought how would the fixed bunker Garratts go around corners? Also the money for the pre-order wouldn't go out until the model had been released right? Sorry if this has been said before.

Many thanks!

Garethp8873.

You're misunderstanding what 'fixed bunker' means.

It doesn't mean that the rear section isn't articulated - it's the manner in which the fireman gets the coal.

Fixed bunker is just a normal coal bunker. Rotating bunker is a method of automatically feeding coal to the front of the bunker.

This model is going to require some very sophisticated packaging. There is no point forking out money on a model that gets damaged in transit.

Hattons appear to have very modest delivery costs on pre-orders. I think the pre-production pictures are excellent!

Anyone care to bet on whether the fixed bunker or rotary bunker will be first on the shelves? I have ordered two rotary versions, one heavily weathered, one lightly weathered, and wait expectantly.

Rob

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

One of the LYDCC members, Gordon Spencer, provided Hatton's with original drawings of the Garratt and they have been kind enough to let us preview the model at our small model railway show on 3rd/4th November in Bacup, Lancashire (Full Details are on the this thread)

All being well it will be running on Holcombe Brook, so if you want to see it in the flesh (or should that be plastic) come along.

Peter

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I see Hattons are now quoting Spring 2013 for the Garratt, guess there are a few glitches from the pre prod to sort out. On the plus side it will give them longer to perfect this loco, and for me to spread the cost of my orders!

• Like 2

How long will the scale Beyer-Garratt be? And is anything known about the way of packaging? Will it be in one part or in three or what else? Due to its length it will certainly burst the storage space in my cupboard if supplied in one piece.

Felix

How long will the scale Beyer-Garratt be? And is anything known about the way of packaging? Will it be in one part or in three or what else? Due to its length it will certainly burst the storage space in my cupboard if supplied in one piece.

Felix

Hello Felix,

the real one is a shade under 88' so the model should be approx. 352mm.

OzzyO.

• 4 weeks later...