The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

What does 45 minutes, no return, 75 minutes mean?

You can park for up to 45 mins before getting a ticket issued, and once you leave you may not return to park there (The area the sign covers) for 75 mins.

• RMweb Premium

Over the entrance to one of the duty-free shops at Vancouver airport:

attachicon.gif1-IMG_3894.JPG

Is this an advertising slogan, or a warning about the prices inside the shop?

Yes. Duty free but definitely not profit free.

In the UK some of the duty free shops sell things at a higher price than you would pay outside!

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Duty free means the shop gets all of the money with nothing going to the state. The presumption that means lower price is not always valid.

Quite usual with airports I'm afraid, absolutely no competition. The airport if it does not run the shop itself probably asks for an enormous rent. The cross channel ferries are comparatively cheap because they have to compete not only with each other but with onshore traders as well.

• RMweb Premium

One hopes that odd and even numbers are the same in Wales as they are in England.....

What I don't get is why parking restrictions should have different times depending on if it's the 3rd or 4th day of the month rather than days of the week? Local authority pettyfogging?

• Like 1

What I don't get is why parking restrictions should have different times depending on if it's the 3rd or 4th day of the month rather than days of the week? Local authority pettyfogging?

It could be you can park on t'other side of road on odd days of the week.

I just posted a pic of the parking sign because it is whacky.

It's a big car parking area.

On the day I was there, a single car was parked in the middle.

There is no parking facility for odd dates.

However, there is ample free parking next to here with no restrictions at all.

• Like 1

Duty free means the shop gets all of the money with nothing going to the state. The presumption that means lower price is not always valid.

For genuine duty-free, try Andorra - as posted in ER, litre bottles of Laphroaig and Glenlivet for €30 and €20 respectively - also spotted a 1.75lt bottle of Grey Goose vodka with a "free" 37.5lt bottle attached for €30 (in other words 2.125lt for €30, or £24)

Mal

Guest CLARENCE

Any suggestions on where I could put this? Its a sticky label, came with a new bed which has a lift up mechanism for access to storage underneath. There must be some creative use for it!

post-283-0-48838400-1411217864_thumb.jpg

I'm open to suggestions!

Cheers

David

Edited by CLARENCE

There's a book on the way about funny signs apparently. I was sent this link last week, pre independence vote, showing a few from north of the border;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2758629/Away-rancour-little-gentle-joshing-Scottish-friends-new-book-reveals-unintentionally-hilarious-signs-spotted-north-border.html

• RMweb Premium

As I was going through Highbridge today,I noticed a launderette named 'Bay Wash'. Couldn't see if Pamela Anderson was there or if they had any large twin tubs.

What went through my mind when I read that I daren't say here. Better go and take a cold shower. :nono: