RMweb

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

(but of course, besides the pun on painting, we HAVE all realised that in the US, dates are the other way around, haven't we? 1-6 being Jan 6, and 4-5 being Mar 5)   :jester:

Really? Do they have their months in a different order, as well as mixing up dates? ;)

• RMweb Premium

Tell me about it... I work for an American company, under a European Headquarters, if the date is less than the 12th day you never know which format something has been sent in...

• RMweb Premium

Tell me about it... I work for an American company, under a European Headquarters, if the date is less than the 12th day you never know which format something has been sent in...

I may be imagining it, but I seem to recall that one of the forms you used to have to fill in on a flight to the US required the date in different formats in different places.

At least it made it clear in each case what it wanted.

• RMweb Gold

I may be imagining it, but I seem to recall that one of the forms you used to have to fill in on a flight to the US required the date in different formats in different places.

At least it made it clear in each case what it wanted.

The i94 or i95 immigration card, such a joy after 10+ hours in the air, I loved the question "Have you ever been convicted of Moral Turpitude"

• RMweb Premium

The i94 or i95 immigration card, such a joy after 10+ hours in the air, I loved the question "Have you ever been convicted of Moral Turpitude"

My wife once asked a flight attendant what it meant.

They didn't know either.

I liked the long one that finished something like "....or have you ever committed genocide"

Adam

The old H1B application form had a slew of great questions, including the 'moral turpitude' one. (Is that really still on an I94? That would surprise me.)

My favourite question from the old H1B application (from more than 30 years ago) was "Were you ever a member of the Nazi party?" One wonders who would answer in the affirmative. (Of course all such questions are there to establish grounds for deportation, not to establish the facts.)

I liked the long one that finished something like "....or have you ever committed genocide"

Makes me think of:

"... when I finally came to the see the last man, I walked in, walked in sat down after a whole big thing there, and I walked up and said, "What do you want?" He said, "Kid, we only got one question. Have you ever been arrested?"

It is a Thanksgiving tradition of mine to listen to a live version of Alice's Restaurant. It still holds up beautifully.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

(but of course, besides the pun on painting, we HAVE all realised that in the US, dates are the other way around, haven't we? 1-6 being Jan 6, and 4-5 being Mar 5)   :jester:

Isn't April the 4th month?

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Then again, those questions were simple compared to the extensive and invasive questions asked on the Citizenship forms AND interview.

Any one of them either answered in the affirmative - such as "...have you ever plotted to overthrow a government...***" - or (later) discovered to have been falsely answered result in denial of your application or revoking of your citizenship! Certainly no PC rules applied at that level   :jester:

Another "obvious" question that is asked "...have you EVER been a member of a terrorist organization..." - um, I'm sure those that are will definitely answer YES, right!! (The CAPITAL "EVER" is actually there on the form, in bold face type too!!)

*** My answer was "no", good job I don't have to answer it again after this last election, I may pause too long before answering! :O  :nono:

Cheers,

Mick

Definitely was/is on my US calendar ;)

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Cheers,

Mick

Haha yes, it was a mere slip of the tongue - maybe I was getting carried away, March 5 is my birthday  :jester:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Another "obvious" question that is asked "...have you EVER been a member of a terrorist organization..." - um, I'm sure those that are will definitely answer YES, right!! (The CAPITAL "EVER" is actually there on the form, in bold face type too!!)

That one was on the i94 as well.

I was so tempted to answer "not sure" but then I managed to wake up....

• RMweb Premium

Haha yes, it was a mere slip of the tongue - maybe I was getting carried away, March 5 is my birthday  :jester:

You must be confusing 30 with 40....

Oops - wrong thread.........

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

The old H1B application form had a slew of great questions, including the 'moral turpitude' one. (Is that really still on an I94? That would surprise me.)

I think last time I looked it was still on the ESTA web site (the modern equivalent of the green visa waiver card).

I presume most people work on the principle that if they don't know what it is, they can't have done it.

They also ask if you've been arrested but not if you were subsequently charged let alone convicted.

My favourite on the EST thingy was fill in your date of birth....then one of the questions was were you a member of the nazi party and took part in the war 1939 to 1945.... I giggled at that one being born in 1974! Ok this was or is a question about 7 years ago!

My favourite on the EST thingy was fill in your date of birth....then one of the questions was were you a member of the nazi party and took part in the war 1939 to 1945.... I giggled at that one being born in 1974! Ok this was or is a question about 7 years ago!

That's quite something, the USA admitting that WW2 started before Dec 1941 

• Like 2