The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

two_quarter_miles.jpg.a3a727d714d5d845d995e5b548821113.jpg

Are the signs actually correct? If so no problem, because you can go either way!

A street sign not far from me is called 'Progress Road'. Underneath it says 'No through road'!

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

10 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

two_quarter_miles.jpg.a3a727d714d5d845d995e5b548821113.jpg

Its Welsh, all distances are approximate.

( Two surveyors measured the distance, one thought it was one mile, the other decided on four.  The local council compromised on two...)

Edited by Hroth
removal of infelicitous repetition...
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I'd have been most tempted, were I Vale of Glamorgan Council Highways Dept, to assert that Llantwit Major was 2½ miles to the left while Llanilltud Fawr was 2½ miles to the right..  I like bilingual anomalies, something the seething metropolis of Aberystwyth is particularly good at.  Great Darkgate Street, which sounds like something from Ankh Morpork, translates as Stryd Fawr, the standard translation for High Street.  Better, on the seafront back in the 80s, there were signs indicating where you can walk dogs and where you can't, '< Dogs', and 'Dim Dogs >' a lovely bit of Wenglish.  Surely, it means that stupid dogs must be taken up this end so that they are not embarrassed by the clever ones, doesn't it?  What a kind thought!

Wenglish is the noble practice of structuring sentences in perfectly formed Welsh grammar, but using English words sprinked with a few Welsh as lubrication, the much mocked 'come from over by there to over by here now just' 'whose coat is that jacket' 'now in a minute' sort of thing that the diwy Saes think we are a bit twp(sin) for, and go all di-doreth, look you now, chwarae teg naw, innit.  Finish ewer popty ping nwdls up before the tacsi arrives, we've already missed the coetys back 'ome.  

diwyl Saes = Demon Saxons, English.  Saes is the welsh word for the Seax, the fearsome battle axe that the Saxons wielded so effectively in battle from behind their shield walls, a very effective way of dealing with Celts who just charged at you as individuals waving swords about.  We hadn't yet learned to rely on archery...

Twpsin = not quite right in the 'ed, sandwich short of a picnic, a stage more than stupid but not quite moronic, and not her fault, love her, she can't 'elp it, born like it, see, 'er mother was baad in bed under the doctor for 6 months, terrible delivery it was look you nawr.  (baad under the doctor means ill with a sick note, but it's much more fun if you don't explain this)

Di-doreth = a bit onomatopoeic, all a-dither, unsure, can't make your mind up.

Chwarae teg nawr - straight translation, fair play now.  Nawr for now is South Walian, and is for some odd reason reversed by Gogs (North Walians, Gogleddau) as  rwan.  

Ewer poptyping nwdls = Your (valleys accent pronounciation of English) microwave noodles, nwdls being noodles spelled in Welsh phonetics.  Popty Ping for microwave oven is well known, Popty being Welsh for oven and ping Welsh for, um, ping, but ffyrnws (furnace) can be used for oven as well,  Never for microwave oven though, that's poptyping.  Correct Welsh scan = nwdls poptyping.

Tacsi/Coetys = more phonetic Welsh, tacsi being fairly obvious but you might need to know Welsh phonetic pronunciation and dipthongs to decipher coetys; it's coaches, posh buses!

Words like nwdls, tacsi, coetys and so on are often cited as not real Welsh words, merely Cymrufication of English words.  But all words in all languages are adaptations of words from other languages, and all languages morph and develop over time; much academic debate takes place over this and is, IMHO, like a lot of this sort of debate, a waste of time beyond being fun for linguistics professors smoking dope in each others' flats late at night on taxpayers' money..

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

My MiL was Welsh speaking first, plus fluent in English. When I listened to her talking to her neighbours, she would quite happily converse in Welsh, up to an English word, switch to English to complete the sentence, then carry on in Welsh for the next sentence, all with out missing a beat.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

A lot of the mistakes seem to occur in areas that aren't naturally Welsh speaking. Yet have had the Welsh/English bilingual signs foisted upon them.

If the locals speak Welsh then they get noticed immediately. The classic....

spacer.png

'I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated...'

:laugh:

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

You get English words interspersed with Welsh language news, and it always raises a smile because of the smooth flow of well dictioned Welsh suddenly unable to cope, but the flow is uninterrupted.  

Yet, when French or Germans speak their own language and intersperse words in English (le Weekend, das Beatles etc) nobody comments, this seems to be reserved for Welsh.  It is a proper language, the oldest in Europe still in use, which seems to have been denied and objected to by the English since the Saxon invasions, not by all of them but by a significant and vociferous number, and touted by the Welsh, not by all of them but by a significant and vociferous number (and both of these respective significant numbers need a seeing too with a baseball bat IMHO, trouble makers the lot of 'em) as a measure of Welshness.  I'm not 'aving it;  I don't speak fluent Welsh, chwarae teg nawr innit, but I am Welsh all the same, and as proud of it as everyone should be of where they are from so long as they don't claim anyone else's origins are inferior to theirs.  

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nick C said:

It's certainly real, but Google reckons it's about 2.6 miles if you go left, and 4.6 if you go right!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4286902,-3.5286654,3a,75y,131.69h,65.82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srxEPMMcXEvvsERDPpAJRLw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

But Yr As Fawr as 1.5 miles from Monknash.  ;)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

You get English words interspersed with Welsh language news, and it always raises a smile because of the smooth flow of well dictioned Welsh suddenly unable to cope, but the flow is uninterrupted.  

Yet, when French or Germans speak their own language and intersperse words in English (le Weekend, das Beatles etc) nobody comments, this seems to be reserved for Welsh.  It is a proper language, the oldest in Europe still in use, which seems to have been denied and objected to by the English since the Saxon invasions, not by all of them but by a significant and vociferous number, and touted by the Welsh, not by all of them but by a significant and vociferous number (and both of these respective significant numbers need a seeing too with a baseball bat IMHO, trouble makers the lot of 'em) as a measure of Welshness.  I'm not 'aving it;  I don't speak fluent Welsh, chwarae teg nawr innit, but I am Welsh all the same, and as proud of it as everyone should be of where they are from so long as they don't claim anyone else's origins are inferior to theirs.  

The problem though is most of Wales don't speak Welsh. Until very recently it was only in certain parts such as Snowdonia. If you tried speaking Welsh in a pub in Wrexham they would think you were from Mars. But if you lived in the local farming areas it was much higher.

Notice it's mostly under 25s that can speak it. Only because they get taught it in school.

http://old.wrexham.gov.uk/assets/pdfs/welsh_language_standards/welsh_lang_in_wrexham_county_borough.pdf

All I can say is psygod wibblywobbly and leave this here....

spacer.png

:lol:

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

The problem though is most of Wales don't speak Welsh. Until very recently it was only in certain parts such as Snowdonia. If you tried speaking Welsh in a pub in Wrexham they would think you were from Mars. But if you lived in the local farming areas it was much higher.

Notice it's mostly under 25s that can speak it. Only because they get taught it in school.

http://old.wrexham.gov.uk/assets/pdfs/welsh_language_standards/welsh_lang_in_wrexham_county_borough.pdf

All I can say is psygod wibblywobbly and leave this here....

spacer.png

:lol:

You mean pysgod wibbli wobbli of course, but we'll let that one go...  The language is increasing as you say among the young, and never really died out on the farms where each farm has it's own little sub-language.  Some farms are said to preserve form of pre-Roman Brythoneg.  The highest proportion of Welsh learners are English incomers, and there are as many Welsh speakers in Cardiff as the rest of the country combined, though they are a smaller proportion of Cardiff's population than they are of wherever they came from.  Speaking Welsh was considered backward and parochial by my parents' generation; my Mother, a native speaker, refused to speak if because she said it made her sound stupid, but was a fluent and enthusiastic Wenglish speaker mainly to wind my dad up, which is where I picked that up from, that and the plethora of Valleys rellys.  Many monoglot English speaking Welsh people of my generation, and I am a classic example myself, were taught the language so outright badly in schools that our chances of learning are destroyed by the experience; I have attempted 3 courses during my lifetime and given up because it was just too hard; now I've got a Polish girlfriend and am just starting to realise what a hard-to-learn language is really like!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2