The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, jcredfer said:

I was in PE college round about then and they were called basketball boots, would that a Western side of the Pond expression?  We were down in the SW of England, so the bumper term might not have seeped down that far, by then.

Re the Teddy Boy shoes, I do also recall the term, too.

IIRC, basketball boots were so called because that was printed on the box if you had the "proper" Converse ones.

* I still have the box, which was sturdy and a useful size to be repurposed!

John

* Thinking about it, I rarely wore mine (they were bright red and really a bit too flash for me) and the boots might conceivably still be lurking in the back of a cupboard....

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

4 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

IIRC, basketball boots were so called because that was printed on the box if you had the "proper" Converse ones.

John

* Thinking about it, I rarely wore mine (they were bright red and really a bit too flash for me) and the boots might conceivably still be lurking in the back of a cupboard....

From my memory, basketball boots came from Woolworths, unboxed. Standard ‘leisure’ footwear for me from 1960s onwards for years. Still have a pair.

Trainers, in a similar role, didn’t appear until into the 1970s.

steve

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, steve1 said:

From my memory, basketball boots came from Woolworths, unboxed. Standard ‘leisure’ footwear for me from 1960s onwards for years. Still have a pair.

steve

Quite an aberration for me to go for the trendily branded item, I suspect a girl might have been involved in my purchasing decision.....😉

John

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

But they would have been proper basketball boots not just a "nickname".

Designed that way so that you don't get injuries as there is a lot of twisting in basketball and the high top prevents ankle injuries.

These things aren't just fashion statements, they are sports equipment!

And if they are genuine, still boxed and in very good condition they might be worth decent money. I've still got my Wally Waffles and I know they sell for well into three figures, if not four. 💲💲💲

Jason

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

But they would have been proper basketball boots not just a "nickname".

Designed that way so that you don't get injuries as there is a lot of twisting in basketball and the high top prevents ankle injuries.

These things aren't just fashion statements, they are sports equipment!

And if they are genuine, still boxed and in very good condition they might be worth decent money. I've still got my Wally Waffles and I know they sell for well into three figures, if not four. 💲💲💲

Jason

Perhaps, but it would have been in the interests of those selling the cheap lookalikes to retain the sporting cachet of the term.

Just as mass-market "trainers" nowadays ape the appearance of the famous brands as closely as potential copyright actions permit.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Green Flash daps were cheap until the 80s when they were 'discovered' by the middle classes and quadrupled in price/quartered in quality overnight.  The age of the cheao plastic trainer had arrived, and I hated them, gave me athlete's foot, the only athletic part of me, but the athlete's welcome to 'em; modern ones at least breathe a bit!  I preferred blue or black cheapo basketballs because they didn't fade to pink, but even cheapo have to be proper boot, with ankle support...  There is no excuse for pink except on a '57 Coupe de Ville, where it is compulsory.

• Like 4

On 01/01/2024 at 10:57, steve1 said:

steve

Had a pair of "Ripple" trainers for the school cross - country team in 1968, by Adidas

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, 62613 said:

Had a pair of "Ripple" trainers for the school cross - country team in 1968, by Adidas

I remember those coming out and one of our class ran for Devon (?? - memory thing) and bought them.  Very impressive the looked, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Chains rather than brains originally, I suspect....

More than likely, although if you had brains you’d not drive in such conditions anyway.

For many years I’d happily take to the road in the most extreme winter conditions in my landrover, content that the vehicle and my driving skills would keep me safe. However, regardless of chains and experience it is the idiot coming the other way who will loose control and take you out. I no longer drive in snow/ice.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

55 minutes ago, Deeps said:

More than likely, although if you had brains you’d not drive in such conditions anyway.

For many years I’d happily take to the road in the most extreme winter conditions in my landrover, content that the vehicle and my driving skills would keep me safe. However, regardless of chains and experience it is the idiot coming the other way who will loose control and take you out. I no longer drive in snow/ice.

Do not forget the other idiot following you, who is just as likely to totally misjudge / act incorrectly for the conditions, and ram you from behind. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Hroth said:

Like Banananas, a difficult word to stop spelling!

No wonder Trump had so much trouble with Canada!

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

she took her own car, a rather battered but game Hillman Imp, which didn't have a heater... I raised my eyebrows a bit but she told me she knew what she was doing.  We put chains on the wheel and set off.  A Hillman Imp has rear wheel drive with the engine mounted directly above the driven wheels, and what it is good at is traction. 

I used to have a '72 VW Beetle 1300 - a woeful 44h.p., 0-60mph on a calender, but put snow chains on the rear wheels & it could deal with real bad snow & ice. At one time Beetles & Imps were popular cars for competitions like off-road hill climbs due to their traction.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

I used to have a '72 VW Beetle 1300 - a woeful 44h.p., 0-60mph on a calender, but put snow chains on the rear wheels & it could deal with real bad snow & ice. At one time Beetles & Imps were popular cars for competitions like off-road hill climbs due to their traction.

Years ago, my late father worked with a guy who resided well away from most things that constitute "on grid" way out in the boondocks of East Devon. The unmetalled "lane" he lived down was utterly evil and had destroyed an, admittedly second-hand, and already quite old, Land Rover in about eight years. He reckoned snow improved matters!

His next car was a four-year-old Skoda Estelle, bought as a stop-gap "because it was there" and cheap. He was surprised to get three more out of it, so he bought another....

I think he took the hint and moved after that! 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 5