The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JZ said:

Love to know the story behind this.

425413803_10160094659403691_8420307590956842409_n.jpg.95ce6ecf7b0ab598470f1716949a7a34.jpg

Apparently '"Penguins" is a recent slang term for those saggy or baggy or "falling down" pants'.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

11 hours ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

The "rules of the road" do - the Highway Code applies to all road users, including pedestrians - but speed limits apply only to motor vehicles, not to cyclists or horse-drwn vehicles.

Around the time I was leaving school in 1964 we used to tailgate the local buses, even lightly touch the rear with the front wheel. One conductor reported one of my mates, and subsequently he was later clocked by the Police at well over 30 mph within the city speed limit (he had a racing style bike).He was fined for speeding. (Not for riding dangerously or whatever).

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Buhar said:

In an Edinburgh establishment Jobby Catchers (loose trousers with elasticated ankles) are banned.

images.jpeg.20cb59df215ff6dccbd6fae0ebb3d5a2.jpeg

Tracksuits/joggers I can understand. But what's wrong with turn ups!?

Not a style I would go for myself, but you don't seem to see "dodgy" people wearing them. Smug hipsters maybe! But they're usually harmless.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Around the time I was leaving school in 1964 we used to tailgate the local buses, even lightly touch the rear with the front wheel. One conductor reported one of my mates, and subsequently he was later clocked by the Police at well over 30 mph within the city speed limit (he had a racing style bike).He was fined for speeding. (Not for riding dangerously or whatever).

Were they riding in a royal park? All royal parks have speed limits: 10 mph as a general rule, but some parks have 15 mph or 20 mph speed limits, and some did use to have a 30 mph limit, but I think the only 30 mph limits have now been reduced to 20 mph. Also local councils might be able to set speed limits for cyclists in their byelaws (but perhaps not on ordinary public roads open to all traffic - the example usually cited is 10 mph on Bournemouth promenade).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buhar said:

In an Edinburgh establishment Jobby Catchers (loose trousers with elasticated ankles) are banned.

images.jpeg.20cb59df215ff6dccbd6fae0ebb3d5a2.jpeg

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Tracksuits/joggers I can understand. But what's wrong with turn ups!?

Not a style I would go for myself, but you don't seem to see "dodgy" people wearing them. Smug hipsters maybe! But they're usually harmless.

I'm surprised they didn't have a down on manbags too!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

Were they riding in a royal park? All royal parks have speed limits: 10 mph as a general rule, but some parks have 15 mph or 20 mph speed limits, and some did use to have a 30 mph limit, but I think the only 30 mph limits have now been reduced to 20 mph. Also local councils might be able to set speed limits for cyclists in their byelaws (but perhaps not on ordinary public roads open to all traffic - the example usually cited is 10 mph on Bournemouth promenade).

Cambridge. 30mph limit on Victoria Avenue(?) alongside Midsummer Common. Coming down the slope off the bridge and then maintaining the speed towards the city Centre.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Cambridge. 30mph limit on Victoria Avenue(?) alongside Midsummer Common. Coming down the slope off the bridge and then maintaining the speed towards the city Centre.

I wonder what they were prosecuted under, then. The 30 mph limit in the Road Traffic Act 1934 is very clear in applying only to motor vehicles.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Re speeding on a pushbike, a copper in Barry once pulled me at the bottom of Gladstone Road hill, the Cadoxton end, and reckoned he'd clocked me at 44 mph on this 30mph road, not improbable.  He had his notepad out ready to book me, and when I apologised for the excess speed and explained I had no speedometer and hence no idea what speed I was doing, his little piggy eyes (sorry, but they really were piggy little eyes) lit up and I could see him thinking he was going to have me for no speedo as well.

I told him I was more than happy to go and explain the situation to Barry magistrates, as there is no law against exceeding motor vehicle speed limits on a bicycle, or any legal requirement for a speedo.  The requirements were BSI-approved front and rear reflectors (pedal reflectors were not required in those days), 'audible means of warning of approach' (bell), and BSI-approved lights at night, all of which I had, as well as correctly inflated tyres and working brakes; the bike was legal.  I suggested he may want to let me go, unless he wanted to be embarrassed in court.  He told me to f*ck off.

The laws applying to pedal cycles can be confusing and contradictory, and few cyclists and fewer traffic cops have much of a handle on them.  For example, if the bike cannot be ridden, e.g, a puncture, the law against it being ridden on a pavement or footway by an adult requires it to be pushed on the road; no thanks!  Cycles must be pushed and not ridden, however, on pavements or public footpaths (not that they ever are); that said, a child's toy bicycle must not be ridden on a road and can only be used on a pavement or footpath.  There is, of course, no legal definition of a child's toy bicycle, or of a child for cycling purposes. 

Another anomaly is that, where a cycle lane is provided, there is no obligation on a cyclist to use it, and he/she is perfectly within his/her right to ride on the roadway.  Stupid, arguably, but within their rights.  There are of course laws against riding dangerously, and, famously, byelaws in some places prohibiting 'riding furiously', but these are difficult to enforce, or to mount defence against if booked, as there is no precise legal definition of 'dangerous' or 'furious'.  Again, if booked, I would insist on my day in court and defend myself vigorously by challenging the definitions and the booking officer's opinion, because that is all it is, of them; he's entitled to it but I'm just as entitled to mine. 

I don't ride bikes in order to kill myself, and I obey traffic laws, even obeying traffic lights.  My lights are not BS-approved, though, as there is no way I will risk riding with such feeble protection, stuff the law I want to get home alive.  I will also take postition in advance of stop lines, where I can be clearly seen, for the same reasons.

Cycle lanes marked by broken white lines are 'advisory' and can be used at will by motor vehicles and for parking of same; they are, in fact, meaningless council tickboxes that enable said council to claim they are providing cycling facilities; they're not!  Where the lane is marked by a solid white line it is prohibited to motor vehicles, and will usually be further delineated by a kerb and street furniture.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

I remember when they first brought in radar speed traps they nicked this bloke who worked at Jodrell Bank.  So he challenged it in court, calling himself as an expert witness.  Said they'd set it up wrongly, being opposite a corrugated iron fence that would reflect the beam all over the place.  It might therefore have picked up anything in the area such as a passing bird, and the machine didn't prove it was actually him that was speeding.  They police of course didn't have a better expert so the magistrates had to let him get off.  The old bill left court as a laughing stock, so their new-fangled toy wasn't seen on the local streets again for quuite some time.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Judging by the number of people they catch going too fast, they seem to work!

They work on people that AREN'T travelling too fast as well!

Yesterday I was travelling along an 80kmh section of road, behind someone else who was also doing 80kmh. Suddenly, they braked hard to 60kmh, fortunately I had left sufficient gap, that I was able to not rear end them!

From the location, I knew why they braked there, but not WHY they needed to. Yes, it's a regular location for a speed camera and as I said, the speed is 80kmh.

So why the need to significantly slow down, well below the speed limit, I'll never understand. Makes me think that there were other reasons, to not get caught, perhaps unlicenced or unregistered?

Speed camera vehicles can't detect those, but Highway Patrol ones, certainly can!

Edited by kevinlms
More info
  • Like 1