Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

I read the article and was surprised that the layout isn't bigger than it is. The sense of space is excellent.

One question - what did you use to make the lead work on the chimneys? Not sure if you have covered previously but 113 pages is a lot to search through...

Thanks

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jason.

Re the HMRS numbering. When making up a 6 digit number try placing the 1st,3rd and 5th numerals first and set them before adding the 2nd,4th and last.

It speeds things up a little and makes it easier to line them up.  

Unfortunately I'm a tight wad when it comes to spending my modeling budget on postage costs so don't subscribe to magazines but I'll get Hattons to send me one with my next order as it's a must have!

Regards Shaun 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the praise on the article and the layout folks, it means a lot that people have enjoyed my ramblings and Andy's fantastic photos. I got my paper copy yesterday (although I must admit to downloading a copy on Friday too :)) and it has come out even better than I expected.

I'll be available to do signed copies at Expo EM tomorrow :D

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, forgot to reply to Jeff's question on the lead flashing (and maybe other questions that I have missed too).

Like the slates, the lead flashing is made using 150 gsm paper, cut and folded to shape and then worked into position with PVA before being painted an appropriate colour. It is one of those things that to me is essential as leave it off and roofs will always look incomplete, even if you can't spot immediately what is missing.

Thanks for the praise on the article and the layout folks, it means a lot that people have enjoyed my ramblings and Andy's fantastic photos. I got my paper copy yesterday (although I must admit to downloading a copy on Friday too :)) and it has come out even better than I expected.

You can autograph mine when you come down, hahah

Bodge

I only wish the Expo was in Wakefield again and not Manchester!

I only wish the Expo was in Wakefield again and not Manchester!

Sorry Jason !

Warning OT

Gentlemen please feel free, volunteer to organise expoEM North in the future if you feel that strongly about it  !

I presume you attended every expoEM North every one of the 30+ Years that it was held in Yorkshire as we did from this side of the Pennines !

Edited by DerekEm8
  • Like 1

just picked up a copy of brm and came across your layout and I must say it is excellent the attention to detailing  just makes the layout so real. that run down look of the end of steam in the 1950s-60s as been well captured, regards john.

Sorry Jason !

Warning OT

Gentlemen please feel free, volunteer to organise expoEM North in the future if you feel that strongly about it  !

I presume you attended every expoEM North every one of the 30+ Years that it was held in Yorkshire as we did from this side of the Pennines !

I think Freebs was being a bit wistful, Derek. I was a little put out about the move at first, but as I'm not even a society member it wasn't my place to complain. I attended the first show at the George H Carnall Centre and it was excellent; I  gather that a few slight problems were sorted out last year - I didn't come because of health problems. I have to find my train fare now, but then I would have to stump up anyway because of the cuts in concessions for OAPs, and the East Midlands Train service from Sheffield to Manchester is quicker and more comfortable than the Northern one into the West Riding. In short, I've adjusted; Freebs must feel he's lost an established exhibition from his doorstep, but he's "only wishing", not necessarily feeling resentful.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jason

I finally got a copy of BRM yesterday, and spent a long long time looking at the article, and Andy's lovely photos. It is right up there with the very best mate. We may have just lost one truly inspirational modeller who could capture the true dereliction and grime of the railway in the last days of steam, but we have gained a worthy successor. I'm so glad that Dave saw photos of Bacup before he died. He loved it. When I said I felt it was fitting to be spoken of in the same breath as his work, typically he said it was better. The timing of its appearance in the magazine was perfect in my opinion, we have lost a great man, but as always life will, if we let it, quickly provide us with new joy and inspiration.

Not sure how I have missed this topic over the last couple of years, however it’s been my loss and I must say this is one fantastic layout that is right up there with the very best. Must get down to W H Smiffs  at 10.00am tomorrow to get a copy of BRM and have a read. I must say the boy washes up well as the wedding photos show, however if someone had shown me his avatar and asked me what his hobbies were I would never have gone for Railway Modelling, let alone one with  such a high level of skill. Possibly --Fishing.

Just shows how first impressions can be so wrong. No rudeness or offence  intended "Sandside" just such a surprise.

Good luck to you and Sofia for a long and happy married life together.

• Like 1

Great to read the well deserved plaudits you are receiving over the 'article' Jason. When I showed it to Joanna on Thursday, even she was impressed - you don't of course know how much that means, but if I tell you that she's never understood my love of railways, models and motorbikes, you'll realise what an impression your layout has made. Her exact words were, 'Gosh it looks real!'. Luckily there are lots of other things that we DO share, hence the 30-odd year relationship!

Well done once more,

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS Hope the show went well. J.

• Like 3

I think Freebs was being a bit wistful, Derek. I was a little put out about the move at first, but as I'm not even a society member it wasn't my place to complain. I attended the first show at the George H Carnall Centre and it was excellent; I  gather that a few slight problems were sorted out last year - I didn't come because of health problems. I have to find my train fare now, but then I would have to stump up anyway because of the cuts in concessions for OAPs, and the East Midlands Train service from Sheffield to Manchester is quicker and more comfortable than the Northern one into the West Riding. In short, I've adjusted; Freebs must feel he's lost an established exhibition from his doorstep, but he's "only wishing", not necessarily feeling resentful.

That's exactly it - not being political or otherwise - Wakefield is just a 10 minute hop over from where I am, as opposed to a hike over the pennines - sometimes when you've  hectic weekends ferrying kids to football, dance class etc, it's much easier to to nip away for an hour or two, rather than a whole day out. It was not a gripe at all, and I'm sorry if any offense was taken :)