Kernow commission ex LSWR Gate Stock Pull Push Sets

Taz

My three LSWR gate stock sets arrived this morning. I ordered them on 12 January 2012 so they took 5 years 10 months and 11 days to arrive. During this time my credit card details and email addresses have changed. Last Monday I heard from Kernow that DPD were going to deliver them on Tuesday after 11:00 so I stayed in during the morning only to find that Kernow had not given the sets to DPD so I had to arrange an alternative date to make sure I was in.

This time I was able to track the parcel's progress from Cornwall to Ferndown and I was able to track Rich, the DPD driver's progress to my flat and he came at 11:35 right at the beginning of the time slot. The gate stock sets have already travelled from China to Southampton and then on to Cornwall so they have had an eventful life before going on the club layout.

I am very pleased with the models and my Maunsell green and cycling lion M7s now have something to haul. The next step will be to take them to the barn at Godlingston Manor, Swanage for a running session.

I hope anyone who is still waiting for the gate stock sets gets them soon.

post-17621-0-82866200-1511450543_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Interesting comparison with Hornby Maunsells.

attachicon.gifDSCN2654 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifimageedit_9_3832850169.jpg

Shows how far carriage design advanced in a quarter of a century.

It's roughly equivalent to comparing the Maunsell with a BR Mk1.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Shows how far carriage design advanced in a quarter of a century.

It's roughly equivalent to comparing the Maunsell with a BR Mk1.

John

but the LSWR originals are far more beautiful....

please sir, can we have some more ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

but the LSWR originals are far more beautiful....

please sir, can we have some more ;)

Let's be fair - these coaches were intended for very different markets. The vestibule or gate stock was designed for gentle branchline use, while the Maunsells specifically took on front-line duty on Southern's best express trains in the 20s and 30s. I am very pleased with my Kernow set, but continue to buy Maunsells as seems appropriate. .

• RMweb Gold

Let's be fair - these coaches were intended for very different markets. The vestibule or gate stock was designed for gentle branchline use, while the Maunsells specifically took on front-line duty on Southern's best express trains in the 20s and 30s. I am very pleased with my Kernow set, but continue to buy Maunsells as seems appropriate. .

I certainly wouldn't have fancied travelling from Waterloo to Exeter in coaches of the kind represented by the gate stock, whereas, air conditioning aside, I'd be quite happy to do the Honiton-Basingstoke portion (and more than happy for the Basingstoke-BHI bit) of tomorrow's trip to the NEC in Maunsell stock.

John

PS. Just had the email; mine are on their way.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

I received my Southern versions today. Like I said with the Hornby SR Cattle wagons last year, they're minature works of art almost...!! Absolutely stunning and Kernow should be proud of these. Well worth the wait...!! :)

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Seeing as they state they have despatched all paid for by 30 Sept might be worth contacting them. Have you checked your emails spam folder or have you changed your email address since the original order?

Mine was paid on October 2nd - so it could have more to do with what has been unpacked first. I didn't get any notification email either, however that could down to Kernow being very busy dispatching orders. 

• RMweb Gold

I have mine. Arrived today.

Here they are pressed into service on the Lamb Regis branch entering Mutton from the Lamb Regis direction.

Rob.

post-14122-0-79371800-1511553665_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Mine was paid on October 2nd - so it could have more to do with what has been unpacked first. I didn't get any notification email either, however that could down to Kernow being very busy dispatching orders.

I got notification when they sent it. Ordered back in 2011, paid for in July.

I have mine. Arrived today.

Here they are pressed into service on the Lamb Regis branch entering Mutton from the Lamb Regis direction.

Rob.

Maybe they should be in mint green for your line?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived this morning and I've already taken the BR green set in hand.

Couplings were easily sorted; Kadee #19s at the ends with bits of thin card to take up the slack in the pockets; Hornby R.8220s in the middle.

I decided I don't much like the look of the wheels (very flat-faced, rather like the ones on Hornby's Thompson non-corridors, which I also got rid of) so I have changed them for Gibsons. This required quite a bit of work with my Truck Tuner / Ed's Tool as the wheels provided are on shorter-than-normal axles. I've used "steel" ones rather than Mansell pattern as the only 1950s photo I've found so far that shows a wheel with much clarity suggests their presence.

Due to my ham-fistedness, I will be replacing the guard irons and sand pipes in metal, but I'm very pleased with the appearance.

Incidentally, doing it as I have, there appears to be ample room for EM wheelsets.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

I've used the ROCO type couplings for both between coaches and the loco. As the loco and gate stock will remain as a set on Camel Quay I don't see the need for kadee's which is my usual coupling. Removing the uncoupling hoop from the ROCO couplings and turning them upside down brings them close under the buffer beam making them less noticeable.