Kernow commission ex LSWR Gate Stock Pull Push Sets

Taz

This pair arrived early yesterday morning. Unfortunately, they had to be photographed in extremely intense, low sunlight and so appear rather bleached. Better photos will appear in coming days I'm sure but, in the meantime, these give a flavour of just how good these coaches are.

I have not commented on any inaccuracies present: I simply do not know enough about these exquisite models to share any wisdom [received or otherwise...]. There's plenty of cantankerous debate in another place for those who want it!!!

For comparison, the livery is a slightly more faded olive-green than the Hornby Maunsell corridor coaches. 

37802435814_7e72a1e251_z.jpg

24645651668_02231b8d15_z.jpg

37802436564_64fefc480e_z.jpg

37802435394_d21ee6e3d8_z.jpg

26742298469_4f19b521ef_z.jpg

24645653848_0ed1de6e43_z.jpg

24645650768_738c9b5d5a_z.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4526/38486226922_b2e5d85182_z.jpg[/img

38486226462_20a13275d2_z.jpg

38486225952_114ba49356_z.jpg

37631159655_6dafa8f4df_z.jpg

24645647068_a9df408659_z.jpg

38486226922_b2e5d85182_z.jpg

There is also a small packet of accessory parts [pipes, etc] which I've yet to explore and fit.

Tony

Edited by Prometheus
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good pictures of a magnificent piece of mass-produced coaching stock. It is no criticism whatsoever to say that the inner ends look plastic. By implication the rest does not and for those of us bold enough to do so a little judicious weathering will remove that “plastic look” too.

Roll on tomorrow.

• Like 3

Just thought i would try and see if these would be easily converted to P4, although i'm sure i read earlier in this thread that the bogie frames may be a bit narrow.

Popped out a wheel set easily enough but although the P4 wheels look as though they might just fit between the frames the frame would require considerably more springing to get them in that i am prepared to do.

Measuring across the pin points of the original wheel set gave approx 25mm as opposed to the more normal 26mm so i think its a none starter without a fare bit of fettling to get the bearings spaced out another mm.

Off to Warley next week so will pick up some compensated Bogie frames and cosmetic sides for a conversion.

• Like 2

Nice pics, Tony.

Why do manufacturers waste design time (= money) on underfloor planking and ribbing? What is the point?

Bit like being sure you putyour knickers on, in the morning  ...  you never know when you might get turned up-side down.   :jester: :jester:

Regards

Julian

Ok  ...   hat  ...   coat  ...  door  ........         ..........     ....    ..     .

Nice pics, Tony.

Why do manufacturers waste design time (= money) on underfloor planking and ribbing? What is the point?

Answer 1: in case you wish to run it around on its roof.

Answer 2: so I can pick that there is a nail missing from one plank and jump up and down about it. 3:)

:jester:

Nice pics, Tony.

In all seriousness, I find it satisfying to know its there, in the same way as I find cab detail impressive. It is also instructive. The experts here know a lot more than I shall ever know but the real thing is seldom seen inverted, especially undamaged. Years ago a Hornby wagon had moulded detail underneath showing exactly how the buffers and drawhooks were sprung. Fascinating! 

Edited by No Decorum
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

OK, I have a question concerning the Driving / Guards compartment of these sets. The interior moulding has two seats facing the middle of the coach - were these provided for the Guard or is it a mistake with the tooling (the driver i going to have a pretty stiff neck looking sideways all the time if they are intended for him)

Alternatively were drivers expected to stand while driving (much like GWR auto coaches).

Excellent photos, many thanks.

I initially thought ( from the images posted above ) that the droplights in the guards and driving compt.

appeared too small on the SR olive version. The close up photo shows that the wood effect on the droplights

has been printed on the glazing, not the droplight frame.

OK, I have a question concerning the Driving / Guards compartment of these sets. The interior moulding has two seats facing the middle of the coach - were these provided for the Guard or is it a mistake with the tooling (the driver i going to have a pretty stiff neck looking sideways all the time if they are intended for him)

Alternatively were drivers expected to stand while driving (much like GWR auto coaches).

The diagram in 'Illistrated History of Southern Pull-Push Stock' shows the drivers seats facing as discribed, so that end of the moulding appears correct, a stiff neck or sore feet looks like the order of the day. The incorrect bench seat across the connecting corridor doors has been mentioned before. Edited by tender

• RMweb Gold

Having the driver sit sideways is by no means unknown elsewhere - SNCF X3800 Picasso railcars and EMD Geeps come to mind - but in both cases the driver needs to be able to look aft as well as forward. The gate-stock does not readily demonstrate the same need!

Having the driver sit sideways is by no means unknown elsewhere - SNCF X3800 Picasso railcars and EMD Geeps come to mind - but in both cases the driver needs to be able to look aft as well as forward. The gate-stock does not readily demonstrate the same need!

And closer to home, some of the NCC railcars in Northern Island had that arrangement, as did plenty of narrow gauge diesel and petrol locos. 

• RMweb Premium

Set 373 arrived a few moments ago. Every bit as superb as the pictures, and my sighting of an EP on the shop display layout, have suggested.

In particular may I mention the complete absence of glue-bleed around what seems to be well-fixed glazing, the fact that no little bits were loose in the box nor has anything fallen off in the removal and initial inspection process and lastly that while the set is quite adequately packaged there is no excess of packing and no arguably wasteful lumps of polystyrene block.

I never saw the prototypes and have to defer to our experts for comment on the details but the rivets are well represented without being raised blobs and as many others have said the gates themselves are quite exquisite.

Many thanks to all involved. I look forward to enjoying this set in the near-enough future.

Now which box did I pack the O2 and M7 into when we moved?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

So while we're on the subject of the driver cab, does anybody know which side the driver would have been standing/sitting (before I superglue him in place)?

Given the SR was a 'left hand drive' railway, I imagine that the drivers position would be to the left side of the compartment (as seen from the drivers perspective - the right hand side when standing lineside watching it approch.

(I am glueing mine in place with PVA based Wood adhesive - takes longer to dry but easily removable in case its wrong)

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Premium

Given the SR was a 'left hand drive' railway, I imagine that the drivers position would be to the left side of the compartment (as seen from the drivers perspective - the right hand side when standing lineside watching it approch.

Ah... but was the LSWR?

• RMweb Premium

Ah... but was the LSWR?

I don't know - however the LSWR used some form of cable and pulley system for their 'pull - push' stock. Kernow's model represents the Gate Stock after this cable system ha been replaced by the SR who fitted their Westinghouse / Compressed air form of control - which also saw the end windows modified from the 'as built' configuration. As such even if the LSWR was a 'right hand drive' railway its quite likely that the arrangement would have been converted by the SR when they did the other mods.

Edited by phil-b259

(I am glueing mine in place with Wood adhesive - takes longer to dry but easily removable in case its wrong)

That makes sense, having just inspected the Windows the wiper is on the left. Doh.

FYI. I spoke to a very nice gentleman at Kernow about my order. Apparently they are overwhelmed by orders for the gate stock (and the Bullieds) and are having to hire new people to handle packing and posting the orders. This suggests that both items will be very successful and hopefully lead to more goodies!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

FYI. I spoke to a very nice gentleman at Kernow about my order. Apparently they are overwhelmed by orders for the gate stock (and the Bullieds) and are having to hire new people to handle packing and posting the orders. This suggests that both items will be very successful and hopefully lead to more goodies!

Not forgetting that there are five 600s coming soon enough, plus the occasional new announcement made at short notice (often commissioned liveries on mainstream releases) and who knows what might happen at Warley?

• Like 1