Railway footage in feature films and television...

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Yes Birmingham is built on a bumpy plateau, from memory about 300' above sea level. The canal network there is only beaten for height by the Trans Pennine canals.  I'll have a look at that clip I always liked Dexy's Midnight Runners. Wasn't it two tone records.

Jamie

The main canal level in Birmingham city centre is 453ft above sea level.

Adrian

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I've already mentioned 'The Sweeney' here a few times, well I've just found a couple of suitable screen grabs from one of my favourite episodes 'I Want The Man' from series 2 in 1975, where there's a well shot scene featuring a bit of fistycuffs at Chelsea Wharf Sidings, now the site of Imperial Wharf station on the West London line....

741012080_I20Want20The20Man20(40).jpg.458d6c067a16aaabfaedfa476203030a.jpg

1087053163_I20Want20The20Man20(41).jpg.f40c977bf9079e8c8a5ff9471e9a69a8.jpg

For context, this is the location as seen from the air with Lots Road power station dominating the scene - the yellow circle marks where the blaggers drive under the mainline to get to the sidings....

impwharf.jpg.1e3079663ee3021f2d94b9320eb6e329.jpg

And from another episode called 'Golden Boy' we have the LSWR mainline between Vauxhall and Queenstown Road stations....

1310187372_Golden20Boy20(2)VauxhallQueenstownRod.jpg.ca0182368bb17d6d3213348647ac0b91.jpg

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of interesting offerings on Talking Pictures TV.

A 1954 B&W movie called Suddenly. starring Sterling Hayden and a very young Frank Sinatra. The plot is that some paid assassins (led by Sinatra) invade a house overlooking the Suddenly (name of the town) Southern Pacific depot in order to shoot the President who's supposed to be leaving his special train there to visit a local resort. It's not the greatest movie but there's quite a lot around the depot where the telegraph brings news to the local sheriff that the President is coming (with Secret Service men arriving a few hours earlier) and you see the track display in the station master's office. The Wiki entry has a link to the entire movie.   

The other is a fascinating forty minute long B&W British Transport documentary from 1950 called Berth 24. It tells the story of the British Transport Docks through a medium sized cargo ship, the 1795 ton Hull registered SS Bravo,  arriving in Hull Alexandra Dock from Gothenberg on its regular scheduled run with a cargo of grain and timber , being unloaded and a few days later- probably five if my memory of cargo ship working in the 1960s is anything to go by- leaving with its 10-12 passengers (cargo ships were and probably still are permitted to carry up to twelve without being registered as passenger vessels) and a full cargo of Brtiish exports for Sweden including umpteen boxes, bales and barrels, loose vehicle wheels,  a certain amount of coal, a digger and a prize bull, as last minute addition to the cargo, for a Swede (actually an actor) who is supposed to have come over on the ship to collect the digger and, being a farmer as well as an engineer, decides to buy the prize bull from a British breeder as well. 

There's quite a lot of railway operation in it including a British Railways shunter pulling a load of timber carried on bolsters (presumably just within the docks ) and work involving the Docks and "Hull wagon control" to get the appropriate numbers of empty wagons into the dock for arriving cargo. 

The whole thing gives a pretty comprehensive picture of how docks were in those days long before containerisation and when most cargo still came and went by rail (and by inland waterways) . 

I can't find the complete film on line but I think Talking Pictures TV are showing it again on the 16th of this month. Well worth watching, particularly if you like "proper" ships as opposed to box carriers. It was apparently the first film made by BTF and does suffer a bit from their attempts at poetry- (WH Auden it ain't)

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I was watching the first part of The Secret Life of the Motorway on BBC4 last week; in the closing credits there is a 5-second clip of the M1 under construction at the point where the WCML Northampton loop crosses over.  I'm 99% certain the train crossing the bridge is hauled by 10000 or 10001.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

The other is a fascinating forty minute long B&W British Transport documentary from 1950 called Berth 24.

Berth 24 is one of those that seems to come up every few months.

Adrian

• Agree 1

Watched Miss Potter last night, Renee Zellwigger, aka Bridget Jones, as Beatrix Potter. I was amused by the scenes of her and her family getting the train to the Lake District. Shot I suspect at either Horsted Keynes or Sheffield Park it featured a loco that was clearly a Southern one - olive green with sunshine lettering. Only the directors clearly felt that even the most railway-ignorant viewers would figure out that the Southern was an unlikely company to be serving Windermere. So patches were applied to the tender replacing "SOU" with "NOR"

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Tonight's Call The Midwife, every train crash cliche in the book trotted out, the event being signposted way in advance.

The green syp class 20 nose first on Mk1's from Chelmsford to Poplar in November 1967 just about acceptable but the colliding train, BR blue TOPS number Class 08 on a 1980's Shell Oils TTA tank?  Nah...

And as for the signalling and safety systems, dear oh dear. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Tonight's Call The Midwife, every train crash cliche in the book trotted out, the event being signposted way in advance.

The green syp class 20 nose first on Mk1's from Chelmsford to Poplar in November 1967 just about acceptable but the colliding train, BR blue TOPS number Class 08 on a 1980's Shell Oils TTA tank?  Nah...

RMers are not the prime audience for CTM  unless they are fond of sobbing women giving birth with each episode in Poplar which is in the East End tended by a bunch of nuns and midwives.  We have yet to see this show in the US; can't wait!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brianusa said:

RMers are not the prime audience for CTM  unless they are fond of sobbing women giving birth with each episode in Poplar which is in the East End tended by a bunch of nuns and midwives.  We have yet to see this show in the US; can't wait!

FWIW, CTM has been on PBS in the US for ten years now.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Was filmed on the midhants last October. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Other than the railway inaccuracies (which are, I suppose the norm these days) being talked about all over the 'net this morning I was surprised that no-one on the train tried to help those in the other carriage. Considering most of them would have been brought up/around in the war years only twenty years before this is set and in a section of London which would be used to bombs and carnage I'd have thought there would be plenty of people around who'd have tried to "do their bit" by attempting to rescue people, rather than run away from the train? Or is this just yet another poor plot line?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I don't think that was too bad by TV drama standards... better than the last one I saw on Casualty last year shot on the Dean Forrest Railway, with high-speed BR green diesel shunters, even if the CTM scene with the speeded-up footage of the 08 Propelling the goods train was a bit St.Trinians Train Robbery ;)  Maybe if they'd done it as two combined, overlayed shots, with the 08 propelling at normal speed, and the footage of the 20 sped up, it wouldn't have looked as jarring.  But other than that, I'd say not too bad an effort.

From memory the best of these BBC Drama Train Crashes was the Casualty one shot in the 1990's.  Admittedly a 25 on a passenger train was unlikely for the time, but I think the fact it was all done with practical effects made it look sufficiently real to young me, and left an impression.

• Like 1

Think that the scenes were filmed very well apart from the class 20  and the shunter ,the actual scenes were worth watching and next weeks show will be interesting.Call The Midwife is one of the best dramas on tv its attention to detail is very good and as one who lived through the era they are spot on.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Usually they are quite accurate, aside from the cash register which was in decimal a few years back, it reappeared in the next series corrected to pounds/shillings/pence!

The thing I was trying to fathom out was why the two signals passed at danger after the driver had passed out actually changed from green to red as the train approached?  In theory they should either have been green for the passage of the passenger or already red for the protection of the shunt movement.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

Call The Midwife is one of the best dramas on tv its attention to detail is very good and as one who lived through the era they are spot on.

I thought much the same until last night!

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Good grief.

It's a drama not a railway documentary.:yes:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1