RMweb

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

A recent discovery amongst the flotsom and jetsom of life...

IMG_2831.JPG.13194f66448086e55f41c6eeb1bf79dd.JPG

Have you also got the accompanying curled processed cheese slice sandwich - worth a lot more to collectors as a pair?

CJI.

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

A recent discovery amongst the flotsom and jetsom of life...

IMG_2831.JPG.13194f66448086e55f41c6eeb1bf79dd.JPG

A well thought out design, easier to handle and stack than today's cardboard affairs, with a built in rim so your fingers don't get burnt.

Perhaps less environmentally friendly, being plastic, but I would think they would lend themselves to using recycled plastics. Unless recycled plastic can't be used for food grade products?

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

50 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I think the word 'Tea' did some pretty heavy lifting with whatever was actually contained in those cups!!!

A not uncommon wheeze amongst TF staff was to wipe the cups clean and fill them with supermarket tea/powdered milk and sell them to the customers multiple times to earn a little more money

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Hello and happy Christmas to everyone on here...

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but suppose it's a bit of a ghost. I found this LNER engine diagram booklet when I was helping my mum look for missing Christmas presents a few days ago. 

Mum is 75, and inherited this from her dad, who worked on the railways from LNER days through into BR (Scottish Region), and the early days of British Rail. He spent some of his time at Inverurie Works, where I guess this originates from. The offices are still there, now converted into flats. 

I'm not an expert, but I think all the types listed would have been used in and around Aberdeen in the 1930's and 1940's. 

Apologies for the doodling, I will blame some of my siblings for this... 

Thanks 

Ken 

20231226_144442.jpg

20231226_144451.jpg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

The Football club still exists in the Highland Football league.

Yes, the Locos have done pretty well considering its 50+ years since the works closed.

The original carriage shops are now also flats, retaining the original north light roof. As I mentioned the offices have mostly survived, but the locomotive shops were demolished to make way for Tesco Inverurie.

There are a couple of buildings left un-redeveloped, but I'm unsure of their original use. 

Thanks 

Edited by D6150
Bad maths
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

D9B03DF7-AB4B-4AE4-AFF9-8C71387E8973.jpeg

6859F4BB-5023-4394-BA6B-CCAFA6A83E75.jpeg

Hi Mark the 153s still have the embossed Leyland logo but Hunslet Barclay put a plastic patch over it. I've exposed a few in my time!  Shame they didn't get the plughole logo 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 26/12/2023 at 17:20, melmerby said:

The Football club still exists in the Highland Football league.

Yes. They are one of two "railway" sides in the League.

Forres Mechanics are the other.

Ian T

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

There's probably a lot more clubs formed from other company sides as well as railway companies.

I know of some in Europe

PSV Eindhoven is Philips Sports Club.

Lokomotiv Dresden was associated with Deutsche ReichesBahn

Dynamo Dresden were a DDR Police team.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

There's probably a lot more clubs formed from other company sides as well as railway companies.

I know of some in Europe

PSV Eindhoven is Philips Sports Club.

Lokomotiv Dresden was associated with Deutsche ReichesBahn

Dynamo Dresden were a DDR Police team.

KKS Lech Poznan (KKS = Kolej Klub Sportowy = Railway Sports Club)

Not unsurprisingly also known as Kolejosz, - The Railway Boys

Steam loco plinthed outside stadium on Ulica Bulgarska, Poznan and a train whistle is heard before kick off of every home game

Andy

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Makes you wonder how other football clubs got their nicknames. Ipswich Town for example are known as the Tractor boys. Although the town had an industrial history (Ransomes) they did not make tractors.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Also Leigh RMI (now Leigh Genisis). Was originally Horwich Works Railway Mechanics Institute I believe. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

Indeed, a short distance away:

image.png.017aebc35083bf45087195ad80031c61.png

Off topic, but you've answered a question that's been bugging me for years. About 40 years ago, when I was around 7, my family visited some relatives in Harrogate. I remember, one day my dad and uncle took me to see a steam train that was passing through Harrogate (I can't remember what it was, but it might have been a LMS Pacific). However, we also caught a train for a day out. That was a DMU of some sort (1st gen slam-door as I recall), which departed from a different station that I recalled as having a level crossing at one end. Looking at the map view, I think it must have been Starbeck. Although I have no idea where we went...

• Like 6