EBay madness

Marcyg

Overpriced much? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMALL-LOT-OF-ENGINES-/161003468574?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item257c8df71e (Unless the Dublo coach is worth a fortune and I don't know it!) 

The "Duplo" coach is 'worth' about a tenner unboxed, if in reasonable condition (The later SD6 type are rarer and worth a bit more - £25 or so). The WELTROL (the other) about a fiver (I bought one for a £1 recently at a fair.)

The two locos about the same....

(Valuations are my opinion and not to be quoted. Anything is worth only what someone is prepared to pay for it.)

India became the Dominions of India and Pakistan in mid 1947 and it was intended to rename no. 11 Dominion of India and no. 20 Dominion of Pakistan. Plates were fitted to no.11 (temporarily while in Doncaster Works, but replaced before return to service) but not to no. 20.

Reference 'Locomotives in Detail 3 Gresley 4-6-2 A4 Class'  David Clarke

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It became the Dominion of Pakistan in mid 1947 and presumably the loco was renamed at the same time.

As it was (according to my info*) named by BR it couldn't be before 1/1/48

Keith

EDIT Clarification:

* "Locomotive Names An Illustrated Dictionary"

Re-Named by BR when 60020, 20 was renumbered 60020 10/48

Edited by melmerby

My 1961/2 edition says you're right. But when these were named, I think India and Pakistan may have been one place, so Empire of India covered all. Since ruby murray became the fave British nosh, Pakistan, where I believe many nosh-house proprietors originated, is obviously considered to deserve a mench!

I learnt something new today - Pakistan was a Dominion from independence in 1947 until 1956, when they declared a Republic. I'd always assumed they'd become a Republic straight away on independence.

Keith

EDIT Clarification:

I was told the plates were cast, but before fitting Pakistan declared war on India. They were the first (and so far only) Commonwealth nation to go to war with another. That's why they were never fitted, probably in the same private collection now as "British Enterprise" and "Pegasus".

Mike

Edited by durham light infantry

• RMweb Premium

A wonderful model for your collection.

I wonder why anyone would want this for their collection?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

A wonderful model for your collection.

I wonder why anyone would want this for their collection?

Cheers,

Mick

It is also an astonishingly poor photograph for a seller who clearly makes - or seeks to make - big bucks from his ebay sales. If you or I had posted that snap on RMweb, we'd be apologising.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That's why they were never fitted,

Mike

Interesting.

I have two books, by different authors/publishers etc. both of which say it was renamed "Dominion of Pakistan"!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Will probably be useful to anyone who wants to slip into an ExpoEM without paying the admission. On the other hand, they change colour code for every exhibition, so anyone buying this is going to be terribly disappointed! :jester:

• Like 2

Keith

EDIT Clarification:

Obviously got in before my edit. Any renaming in the early BR period presumably would have also received the 'E' prefix to the number. The renaming was proposed in 1947 (when India and Pakistan received independence) according to my reference. A photo would prove the loco carried the name. Incidentally the model box has dates for the name. (20/8/47 - 10/10/47.)

A very dodgy sale. I would say it belongs legally to the EMGS.

Edited by Il Grifone

Did K's ever make such a thing?

It's MTK, not K's.

It states both manufacturers in the title, which is er, odd

Paul A. 

• RMweb Gold

It's the colour wot does it! A totally authentic shade of that well known maroon-crimson we all adore.

There appears to be a conflict between the loco and the WC tender and since when did a Princess have blinkers?

Still at least she runs backwards and forwards................

• RMweb Gold

There appears to be a conflict between the loco and the WC tender and since when did a Princess have blinkers?

Still at least she runs backwards and forwards................

46202 Princess Anne had blinkers (not a Bulleid tender)  but needs the turbine tunnels added to the footplate?

46202 Princess Anne had blinkers (not a Bulleid tender)  but needs the turbine tunnels added to the footplate?

She became 'Princess Anne' when rebuilt as a conventional locomotive in 1952. Previously as the 'Turbomotive', she was hardly a typical 'Princess', but didn't have blinkers, (AFAIK there are some models so fitted on Google images?) see below

The turbines were removed during rebuilding,

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.themodelcentre.co.uk/images/uploads/Princess%2520Royal%2520Locmomitves/46202.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.themodelcentre.co.uk/46202/prod_469.html&h=276&w=500&sz=21&tbnid=OJkzEZxpreM7AM:&tbnh=68&tbnw=124&zoom=1&usg=__CKDUnqDK5SOTZEbVluFqXk2HM3A=&docid=ws-PDqOsooVN6M&hl=en&sa=X&ei=bPZiUdu1MMHP0AXvkoGIBg&ved=0CDUQ9QEwAQ&dur=3786

EDIT Just noticed there's a picture on my link in BR black - last minute mod.? (I don't know what Eva Herzigova in a bikini has to do with it however - not complaining....)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2