EBay madness

Marcyg

There's even a rubber on top of the "horny transformer" for added joy.

Can anyone decipher the last part of this sentence?

The cottages are all hand made by myself and are sold elsewhere ranging in prices from £250-£500 each that are in need of way as nice 

I wondered about that myself !?  I think it means that other buildings are available that aren't as good. (?)

I'll refrain from further comment....

Perhaps I'll try one of these myself - the raw materials are cheap enough. However, if the coaches are genuine prewar Trix*, it might have been better to leave them alone. The Trix tender is from their model of an A1 (later A10) and I would have thought that the Dublo tender would have matched better.

I assume this is a mistake - "Hornby Duchess Class Loco Body 2512 named Silver Fox".

EDIT.

If anyone is tempted to buy, this will only run on Trix (or other make) universal pointwork.

* Probably not as they have post war couplings.

Edited by Il Grifone

The Trix coaches are actually Stanier coaches (though there was a version in LNER teak livery with a domed roof in Gresley style) and pre war were available in LMS (faux panelled) livery and streamlined livery (as sent over to the States just before the war together with 6229 masquerading as 6220). Post 1948 they were available in BR livery (crimson and cream, maroon and chocolate and cream (!). Being made in Trix's compromise 1:80 scale, they are noticeably narrower than the locomotive (the A1 (Scotsman) is nearer 4mm scale* - the tender matches Dublo's A4 in size). There is a lighting unit, but, as it uses two 14V/75mA bulbs (per coach), a train can take more current than the locomotive....

Other prewar Trix Pacifics were a 'Princess' (similar in size to Tri-ang's) and the above streamlined 'Coronation'. Both are considerably underlength and neither was reissued post war. All ran on chassis made in Germany by Trix Express and designed for their DRG class 01. All are prone to suffer from the dreaded 'zinc pest'....

As a train for running on Trix (or Dublo if rewheeled) layouts it is quite reasonable, but whether it is worth the price requested is another matter.

• RMweb Premium

But it IS the bargain of this particular batch of layouts! Doesn't say much for the others. Certainly more track than the other.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Class-150-DMU-set-/252496347373

Ever since the new spec Bachmann C150 came out everyone seems to think that the old one is worth magically the same as the new one! Really annoys me. Why should models with massive differents of detailing cost about the same price? 

My personal valuation of Bachmann 150s

Old Spec:

£60-90

New Spec:

£120-150

(all 2nd hand prices - based on none limited edition/special realise models.)

I think my valuations are sensible but am happy to be challenged

Those controllers could be a bit dodgy.

I like the wording on the Marshall "Earthing not required" But hasn't it got a metal case?

Keith

Simply having a metal case does noy automatically mean its "unsafe" - depends if the transformer and mains wiring generally is double insulated, and the method of construction generally. I dont know the Marshall personally so the above comment is a general comment and not a specific comment about any electrical item.

• RMweb Premium

This seems to have come from Frankenstein's laboratory as depicted by Hammer Horror circa 1959...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Model-railway-controller-serial-number-1-spares-or-repair-/371708315185?hash=item568b8ac631:g:VkMAAOSwNphWZv9r

Too good for landfill! There's some good stuff there that I could batter into something useful, but I'd rather pay 75p for it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This seems to have come from Frankenstein's laboratory as depicted by Hammer Horror circa 1959...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Model-railway-controller-serial-number-1-spares-or-repair-/371708315185?hash=item568b8ac631:g:VkMAAOSwNphWZv9r

It's been up before has that thing.

Edited by 96701

Those controllers could be a bit dodgy.

I like the wording on the Marshall "Earthing not required" But hasn't it got a metal case?

Keith

The Marshall II units are double insulated and at the time exceeded safety standards. The mains lead is twin core (red and black as was the practice at the time) and the case is sealed with rivets to prevent tampering. They are variable transformers, so give good control, but only in switched steps in this model (the larger Marshall III unit is continuously variable).

That said, it is around sixty years old, so some care should be exercised. The cable is PVC so it should still be OK, but having it checked out by someone competent is advisable. The plug should go in the bin as not meeting today's safety regulations. (The pins are not shrouded so the careless could actually touch them while plugging in (you only do this once*) - of course this should only be done with the mains switched off, but not all sockets have switches.)

* The shock is unlikely to be fatal, unless you are also touching something earthed, but it will be strong enough to ensure more care is taken next time!

(Double insulated or not, I still connect the layout common return to earth.)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

"A perfect addition to your collection."

Not to mine!  Things like this are usually to be found in a box 'under the table' marked "50p".

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

Amazing how they even take the trouble to take so many photos of such a worthless item. The chance of it selling at that price, must be zilch, even to a misguided child.

It's been up before has that thing.    http://www.ebay.co.u...kMAAOSwNphWZv9r

It just looks like a controller built in the 1950/60's from a radio spares shop in Lisle Street or Edgware road, like Smiths or Lasky, or from Proops in Tottenham court Road, a mixture of ex-service junk parts put together, but £999, .............If anybody wants a pretty close duplicate I will knock you up one for £250, now I can't say fairer than that......I would need more to make it working order though..........

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog
  • Like 1

Where Cooper Craft in business in 1970?.........the load in the wagon looks like something the cat brought up.........

I'm pretty sure they weren't. I started my first serious layout in 1975, and think it was some time later that I got excited about this new range of wagons that were ideal for it.