EBay madness

Marcyg

Me too - it's just that some people set their standards less lower than me others................

And to think, I factored in Lancastrians.....

I'm outta here, the 'pc' police are off an' runnin' after me :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And to think, I factored in Lancastrians.....

I'm outta here, the 'pc' police are off an' runnin' after me :D

Just don't go factoring with a Lancastrian................

• RMweb Premium

I do respect the fact he is showing all the bits separately and is refreshingly honest, but the price just made my eyes water. I suppose it sums up the lack of spares available from Hornby. I have seen West Country/Battle of Britain detail packs being sold on eBay for £15.00 !

I sold some Heljan 47 about a year ago. One had the dreaded bow, both ends split, clearly the chassis rot. I got £57 for that, was surprised and cheekily asked the buyer his plans. The motor was to be used in a Lima 47 and he said he would repair the body. The second was a virgin respray as 47750. Nothing wrong with this one, chassis was straight and true, no cracking at all, but I still listed as potentially having the mazk rot due to not knowing the full history and it fetched £116.

It really is amazing how much one person is prepared to pay for a model another person would consider massively over priced.

• RMweb Gold

Probably very rare and of value to kit collectors only. Definitely not a kit to be assembled.

Darius

Is the seller offering one or two coaches?

Darius

• RMweb Premium

I purchased a plastic kit of a German V2 rocket many years (30?) ago, IIRC from Beatties. The main attraction was that the kit was to 1/76 scale and contained several vehicles that could be used on a layout plus some other bits I put to good use. I saw another example of the kit, this time unmade at a swapmeet for £450! about 90 times what I paid for the kit.

I don't know if this jerk has been named and shamed but I feel like Gostude has inspired some other shylocks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAINLINE-GWR-57XX-PANNIER-TANK-LOCO-CHASSIS-ONLY-No-1/142598914271

Pretty much his entire "store" consists of mediocre 2nd hand locos that he pulls the shell off, and sells the shell and frame individually for more than a fair price for a complete locomotive! I see modelling blogs that mention getting old Mainline 57xx shells for a tenner and split chassis for less than twenty and then this guy keeps finding his way to the top of my search results and my blood boils.

I don't know if this jerk has been named and shamed but I feel like Gostude has inspired some other shylocks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAINLINE-GWR-57XX-PANNIER-TANK-LOCO-CHASSIS-ONLY-No-1/142598914271

Pretty much his entire "store" consists of mediocre 2nd hand locos that he pulls the shell off, and sells the shell and frame individually for more than a fair price for a complete locomotive! I see modelling blogs that mention getting old Mainline 57xx shells for a tenner and split chassis for less than twenty and then this guy keeps finding his way to the top of my search results and my blood boils.

Search by price and then they go to the bottom of the pile where they belong.  :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This dismantling of locomotives and the selling of parts for ridiculous amounts is beginning to get beyond a joke, it really winds me up.

It's a well known fact that breaking something for spares has far more value than trying to sell off the complete thing.

That's why car scrapyards exist - they make huge amounts from selling off the good bits from a scrapper or MOT failure.

There are those out there, that may have a damaged body or chassis - but not both - that want to repair their loco without going to the expense of buying a complete item. 

It is a free market after all and if one isn't happy with the price, then don't buy it and wait until the right item comes around - as undoubtedly it will.

If a dealer wants to take the risk of dismantling a complete loco to satisfy spares demand - then it's their choice.

Try buying all the parts from Bachmann to make your favourite loco - it won't be cheap.

Most of the time it's cheaper to buy a complete loco if you need a certain part. You can then sell the rest of it as separate spares and that will cover the cost of the part you needed in the first place. Depending what you mode,l you can acquire a large fleet for next to nothing.

People are searching for a certain part only and they either can't be bothered breaking and selling the rest of the model or there is some psychological fixation that they can only buy the part as a spare.

Search by price and then they go to the bottom of the pile where they belong.  :)

The problem is too many UK sellers only specify domestic shipping and say "Contact me for international shipping price", which banishes them to the bottom of the pile and gives priority to schmucks like this because they bothered plugging in some arbitrary parcel data into EBay's shipping quote system. Sorting by cheapest price (sans shipping) opens another can of worms that you're now dealing with "cheap" items with exorbitant shipping! That said it may still be preferable to sift through the results that way :good:

It's a well known fact that breaking something for spares has far more value than trying to sell off the complete thing.

That's why car scrapyards exist - they make huge amounts from selling off the good bits from a scrapper or MOT failure.

There are those out there, that may have a damaged body or chassis - but not both - that want to repair their loco without going to the expense of buying a complete item. 

It is a free market after all and if one isn't happy with the price, then don't buy it and wait until the right item comes around - as undoubtedly it will.

If a dealer wants to take the risk of dismantling a complete loco to satisfy spares demand - then it's their choice.

Try buying all the parts from Bachmann to make your favourite loco - it won't be cheap.

I would totally understand if it were a case of breaking down a damaged/faulty locomotive for parts or a shell that came off a defective mechanism, and there was a profit margin on the parts that made the sum price more than the whole, but in the case I posted they are literally taking a functional locomotive, popping the shell off and selling both parts with individual price tags greater than the reasonable price for a whole locomotive! £35 is pushing it for the price of a second hand Mainline/Replica 57xx, and he wants that much for just the chassis! By pure luck I stumbled across a bulk lot of 57xx chassis parts, with nearly ten locomotives' worth of spares that I can go completely buck wild with, but that took a lot of time and effort and patience to nab, and I was fortunate enough to have the money to fork out on bulk rather than wait around for a reasonable price for just one chassis.

It irritates me because 1) they have a multitude of spares they'd rather let rot on a shelf than budge on the price, which leads me back to going overbudget buying complete locomotives because they're still cheaper than the overpriced spares,

2) it encourages copycats and shylocks to raise their own prices regardless of what people are willing to pay, and inevitably some moron takes the bait and suddenly their greed is vindicated; "the market has spoken" they'll say with puffed chest.

What annoys me most is that it is apparently working as I'm seeing more and more listings with that hideous green curtain!

On the subject of dismantling perfectly good models and selling parts, there was a Dublo City of London on eBay recently that looked as if it were near mint but, if you wanted the whole loco, you would have to be the successful bidder on the body, and the chassis, and the tender....

It could backfire if it's an unusual item though.  there was a vendor on eBay a couple of years ago who did this with a Trix Twin Class 5 (or Class V as Trix called it).  The body and tender sold quickly, which left him with a chassis that took a few months to sell.

Edited by Wolseley

Nice coaches, but not 30 quid nice. I do note, though, it's in blue/grey livery, which seems to be the least available Mk1 colour scheme on the secondhand market (based on my own totally unscientific observations), so maybe there's some rarity value. At 30 quid though, it doesn't seem a big leap to stump up for something more modern and currently available new.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

More Thomas stuff going for ridiculous sums:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-00-GAUGE-THOMAS-R9684-MURDOCH-CLASS-9F-LOCOMOTIVE-BOXED/123034746565?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Diesel-D7101-Thomas-Range-R9097/142737002179?

I really don't understand this, they are both obscure characters made from very old toolings with a face bunged on the front.  Perhaps Hornby should run another batch off, seems it would make them a fortune!!