EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

How about those jokers who state 'Make an offer' then clearly don't want anyone to actually make them an offer?

sometime I forget to turn it off and it automatically goes on the listing, other times I leave it on to see what chancers will offer me for an item!

I put a vintage t-shirt up for £5 the other week and was getting offers around 50p to £1, only one person offered above the £5 start bid (£7)  it eventually went for £18 

• Like 3

i put in what its worth to me, regardless of above or below what the seller wants, Some have been accepted for less than the asking price, but its that or stick out for what they want, there was a Ks grange on for 140, and i offered 70 i think, subsequently bought one for about 40. The original one is still available for 140!!!, Scrap Ks Mogul on for about 30 and bought for about a tenner so you takes your chance!

• Like 1

Often the make offer is just there because that's ebays default setting, and the buyer forgot to change it - I know I have! 

My rules of thumb:  is to make an offer over the starting price but one that is still a bargain to me. Sometimes it works as it saves the seller hassle. 

If there's a buy it now price that seems fair,  to get a bargain i make an offer about 50% of that in the expectation of a counter offer at 75% of the buy it now.

No. 1 rule is of course always be certain of whatever is you're buying and the bargain price you're prepared to pay. 

• Agree 3

That is what I do too and if I receive an offer like that I tend to accept. I've recently sent some motorcycle parts to Canada as a result of such a deal. I knew that they were extremely rare, but so are buyers with machines to fit them to, so I wasn't likely to find another buyer in a hurry. 

End result, all parties happy and a bit of history saved from the scrapheap.

BTW, long time no see Mr Giraffe, not since the highly amusing prison saga!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I recently placed a pair of Bachmann blue suburbans on eBay for auction, taking advantage of the 80% fee discount.   Within minutes I was messaged that if I would change to buy-it-now he would give me 30 pounds for it, plus postage.   I agreed to do so, but got clobbered for fees - the full fee based on his opening bid of 9.99 (discount forfeited for ending early) plus the full buy-it-now fee.   I held my nerve with the second coach.    There was again only one bidder, so it went for the start price of 9.99.  At least for this second coach sale eBay allowed my fee discount.

• Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Yep....

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

£86 if you buy it.

Mike.

Yep....  Plus delivery.

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

It looks a bit pricey to me.

Very, but it is antipodean.

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

And then confess to SWMBO!? 🙈

Good luck with that!

R4832 can be had from Hattons , brand new for £30 inc delivery. And they have "more than 10" in stock!*

Recalling that the first GWR autocoaches were repurposed steam railmotors, I've been toying with the idea of converting a couple of autocoaches into 2 car GWR DMUs as neverwazza companions for their other pre-war/post nationalisation diesel railcars...

* Hattons also have various examples of the pre-Hornby Airfix(GMR) version in various states of preservation and livery, ranging from £17 to £24, plus £5 delivery.

Edited by Hroth
Extra info
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

And then confess to SWMBO!? 🙈

I get away with an awful lot, but that's because I don't pay over the odds and buy her shiny things that she likes with the savings.

• Round of applause 2

Hornby don't have any GWR autocoaches other than the ex-Airfix moulding.

If you want a more "modern" attempt, the only offering is the Bachmann Hawksworth A38 Auto-trailer at £73 inc delivery.

Still cheaper than the ebay listing of the old Hornby example!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Foisted the Proton Persona on unsuspecting motorists for one....

I used to use a engine dyno near to the Lotus factory many years back - Dave did a lot of work for Lotus and was (probably still is) a very highly regarded tuner. Some time in the late 90s Proton bought Lotus. They then asked Lotus to evaluate their powertrains, so they gave one to Dave to see what he could get out of it. I can remember the pile of exploded scrap in the corner very well!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 3

Reading about Graham Farish 08s earlier reminded me I had stumbled upon some old GF OO gauge stuff the other day …

I didn’t realise that Graham Farish was “kit built”…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334323546955?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dUl0TI1oQ1m&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=e--l92_9TXi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

🙄

OMG - there’s more!! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363249795148?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dUl0TI1oQ1m&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=e--l92_9TXi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by SteveyDee68
Disbelief at a certain seller’s brazen faced item descriptions!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Reading about Graham Farish 08s earlier reminded me I had stumbled upon some old GF OO gauge stuff the other day …

I didn’t realise that Graham Farish was “kit built”…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334323546955?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dUl0TI1oQ1m&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=e--l92_9TXi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

🙄

OMG - there’s more!! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363249795148?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dUl0TI1oQ1m&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=e--l92_9TXi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Ebay call it keyword spamming - people searching for kits (which I do all the time) - yet I have reported countless ones and they've never done anything.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Ebay call it keyword spamming - people searching for kits (which I do all the time) - yet I have reported countless ones and they've never done anything.

Yep, the term is used randomly throughout the above named seller’s items.

The one that got me from the same list was this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334449911358?hash=item4ddec4a63e:g:EuUAAOSwPudiidDO

They are indeed kits, but still have the word ‘built’ in the description even though they clearly come in pieces which makes them ‘not yet built’ I would suggest. Unless they are a kit-built kit, of course. And even then not all of the pieces are there, apparently 😳

Edited by 40152
  • Like 3