EBay madness

Marcyg

52 minutes ago, Gary H said:

The listing title seems to indicate that the DCC sound is "powerful"...

😄

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

"generally good" condition?  It looks pretty ratty to me, the sort of place with a piquant smell!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

The heat, the flies, the damned mosquitoes, and those incessant pounding native drums; it's the white man's grave I tell you Carruthers, the empire upon which the sun is always setting!  Get out while you still can, lad, too late for an old warhorse like me.  Punkah wallah, fetch me a chota peg and a fresh native girl...

And that's just Cardiff!

• Funny 8

Gad the heat! The memsahib's says it was cooler in Poonah !

We've been out, drinking with extra ice and listening to jaaaaazzz baby.....

But it made no difference.. Thinking of sleeping like Dracula in the cellar tonight. I've worked in much hotter places, but this is a different, sticky kind of heat.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The heat, the flies, the damned mosquitoes, and those incessant pounding native drums; it's the white man's grave I tell you Carruthers, the empire upon which the sun is always setting!  Get out while you still can, lad, too late for an old warhorse like me.  Punkah wallah, fetch me a chota peg and a fresh native girl...

And that's just Cardiff!

The Boy from Tiger Bay!?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

Are the holes at the top of the urinal walls designed to prevent or encourage p**sing contests?

As for the German nick ditty, I remember that from junior school, late 70s, the lad who knew all the words and started it off amongst our year was actually a from Trinidad. Maybe it's global? 🤔

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I have just stumbled across an eBay seller with a whole bunch of stuff I would readily part with my £££s with, from

locos to coaches to sets (locos and coaches!!)

However, in not one description does said seller describe the running qualities of the models. The most s/he says (in one or two listings only) is “untested” and in one particular listing “expect this not to work” - but hasn’t tested it, so maybe it will?!

Hardly inspires confidence to bid, does it?

I’ve written to the seller asking about running qualities of locos I am interested in - which is around a dozen - and asking why s/he is not testing them?

Why bother, cry the denizens of the madness thread? Simply avoid, unless you have the skills/knowledge to resurrect possibly dead/poor performing models!

But I find myself intrigued, because the same seller is also selling …

Wait for it …

A set of six rolling-road rollers …

You know…

Those things you can use to test the running qualities of a model!

I’ve said as much in my messages …

I’ll let you know what the seller’s answer - if any - is!

I’d not bother, but s/he does have one particular item that I’ve been looking out for, for a very long time!*

HOURS OF EBAY FUN!

* FYI - it’s not a Triang 4 wheel Continental balcony coach (not in this instance!)

• Like 4

Had a response (or two) …

First response -

“Hi, yes I have rollers. But no track or transformer!” 

WTF?! Suggested a small investment would put that to rights…

Then …

“I'm not reluctant to test, I simply don't have the facilities anymore (track or transformer etc).

If I mark a loco as "untested" then I am selling it on the basis that it may not work and it's priced accordingly.

If I don't mark a loco as "untested" then I fully expect it to work and will reimburse if that is not the case.“

Fair enough, but I’ve pointed out that even rudimentary testing/reporting with a D sized battery invokes confidence in a buyer that a seller is doing their best to properly describe the item they are selling.

Caveat emptor suggests that concerning yourself over the things that are not said is a wise course of action!

Steve S

POLL - Would YOU risk bidding on an item with this seller?!

32 items currently for sale

28 items sold

100% positive feedback

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Fair enough, but I’ve pointed out that even rudimentary testing/reporting with a D sized battery invokes confidence in a buyer that a seller is doing their best to properly describe the item they are selling.

A 9v PP3 battery is the one to go for for testing old OO locos. The terminals are ideally spaced for resting against the wheels to see if there's a spark of life.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

A 9v PP3 battery is the one to go for for testing old OO locos. The terminals are ideally spaced for resting against the wheels to see if there's a spark of life.

Oh crikey - quite right! I got my battery names mixed up!! 🙄

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2