EBay madness

Marcyg

On 02/08/2022 at 11:33, PeterStiles said:

I'm beginning to wonder if we can build some sort of trigger that's run whenever Gostude posts something new onto EBay, that automatically posts a link to this topic. Think of all the time and effort we'd save if we didn't have to link on here manually...

We could randomly add some "really at that price?" style comments and probably save ourselves a lot of effort in any given month.

If someone stupidly buys from them (I once bought an item which was miss described and finally got a full refund) is one thing, But what annoys me is when I search for say DJH kits, I get a whole host of items which are even not described as from DJH still appearing in the search, presumably as this and other names are included in the listing it annoys me.

I assume he is a trader and thus subject to trades description ? 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

19 hours ago, 40152 said:

Tell me this isn’t a tenner for what is effectively a bit of ripped up scotchbrite pad…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393910399823?hash=item5bb6e3b34f:g:M94AAOSwvzZh-pNn

…or perhaps the perceived value comes from the thing on the top? 

I got legitimately better stuff than in one of their (then) £8 mystery boxes. I find it both confusing and bonkers that they have this listed for a tenner.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

No problems with that carp, a fine specimen.  The Squeeze is Polish, and has introduced me to carp for xmas dinner which is the custom in several central European countries.  The carp we have is imported frozen; they are farmed and cornfed, but the tradition that she grew up with was for a wild carp to be caught by her father, and kept in the bath for a week or so so that it could be cornfed for the taste, and taken out and killed on xmas morning.  It's then gutted, stuffed, and roasted.

It's not bad, and I'm not a big fan of turkey anyway, bit bland. 

Christmas morning, rather than Christmas eve? maybe a regional variation, but where Mrs C comes from the main celebratory meal is eaten on the evening of the 24th. Which means we can combine the two, and have a Polish meal on the 24th and a British one on the 25th...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

And like both cultures, indigestion on the 26th?

Always dreaded the boxing day feeling! 

I remember visiting grandparents and elderly relatives as a child, which resulted in being full of Christmas pudding, English and German Christmas cake, you were bouncing off the ceiling by new year...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Hroth said:

Seconded!

How about this carp?

BigCarp.jpg.75430b4b2d3e8daf7633a01d974fbc63.jpg

Sometimes some carp is better than other carp....

Depends on the scale I suppose. :)

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, teaky said:

Nick C posted his response whilst I was typing but I'll post this anyway.

If the seller sets a Reserve price it will always be above the Start Price.  For example, an auction listing could start at £10 but the seller doesn't want to part with the item for less than £50 so they set a Reserve of £50.  In the example you quoted above there is an effective reserve of £100 but the seller hasn't paid an additional fee for a Reserve price.  You will not be able to bid 1p as the first bid has to be £100 or more.

On a Buy-It-Now or auction listing where there is the option of making a Best Offer the seller can also specify a price below which offers will not be accepted.  This minimum offer price is not visible to potential buyers (for obvious reasons) but saves the seller from dealing with offers that are too low and the system rejects these offers automatically.

The idea of a Reserve price seems a little dated these days but still crops up.  There is an extra fee for setting a Reserve price and the seller has to balance this additional cost against the higher fee for a higher start price.  I suppose it might draw some people into bidding for an item with, say, a 99p start price but there is little difference between a 99p start price with a £100 Reserve and an item with a £100 start price and no Reserve other than the fact that the Reserve is not known until someone puts in a bid that is higher.

At present, there is no longer a sliding scale of listing fees, dependant on the start price.

It was this way some years ago though. 🙂

The minimum reserve price that can be set with the paid for reserve is, I believe, still £50.00.

So, if you see a listing with a paid for reserve, the lowest price would be £50.00.

Anything less, will be below the reserve...🤷🏼‍♀️

🐉🙋🏼‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Nick C said:

Christmas morning, rather than Christmas eve? maybe a regional variation, but where Mrs C comes from the main celebratory meal is eaten on the evening of the 24th. Which means we can combine the two, and have a Polish meal on the 24th and a British one on the 25th...

Just asked her and that is what she used to do as well, xmas eve big carp meal followed by midnight mass.  We have it on xmas day apparently in respect for my traditions.  And we've missed the last 2 years, what with covid and all.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
On 03/08/2022 at 22:37, The Johnster said:

We have it on xmas day apparently in respect for my traditions.

My understanding is that in certain parts, if you are naughty, santa just leaves you a lump of coal instead of presents.

You might want to slip this into the conversation next time you need to model a load.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

My understanding is that in certain parts, if you are naughty, santa just leaves you a lump of coal instead of presents.

You might want to slip this into the conversation next time you need to model a load.

Good point - if every volunteer at a railway is naughty, they might get enough for a day worth of steaming?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I have very little faith in santa.  I'm still waiting for my Scalextric from 1966; I was good and everything, but it never turned up!

I'm ok for coal, Tomparryharry, who owns two Andrew Barclays at Blaenavon, gave me enough to last the rest of my modelling career a couple of years ago. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

We are approaching a time when the young folks will say: 'Coal? What is coal??'

I've had some experience of this, working on Steam Railways...

"Mummy, what's that?"

A small child in a family group seeing the coal fire in the booking hall...

"What's that?"

Older children on a school trip to the Railway, seeing us clearing up some spilled coal after a loco had had its bunker refilled...

They thought that we were winding them up, about "rock that burns"!

And  these were from literally years ago now.🤷🏼‍♀️

🐉🙋🏼‍♀️

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typi
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

They're the sort of bits left over if you are making buildings for a period layout, all that lower case signage is more typical of the 1970s and later. £14 seems a lot when you might only want one or two and I'm pretty sure that such things are available new for a lot less.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

They're the sort of bits left over if you are making buildings for a period layout, all that lower case signage is more typical of the 1970s and later. £14 seems a lot when you might only want one or two and I'm pretty sure that such things are available new for a lot less.

Agreed, plus with the easy availability of fonts and the most basic of word processing skills, just make your own?

• Agree 5

36 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

May have some signs of cosmetic wear…

Usual understatement from Rails’ describer of second hand items.

“Comprehensively broken” might be more apt.

Cheers

Darius

Very good boxed condition! (Box is actually a replacement)

Very good condition, apart from the smashed front bogie, driveshafts and missing wheels, or the scratched off decals, I've probably missed other bits.

An absolute bargain at a gnats under £100.

Are spares available? If so it's probably not an economic repair.

I'd like to know what if anything they paid for it!

PS, although a modeller of things Great Western, I'd quite like a Shay locomotive.

Just not that one.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Very good boxed condition! (Box is actually a replacement)

Very good condition, apart from the smashed front bogie, driveshafts and missing wheels, or the scratched off decals, I've probably missed other bits.

An absolute bargain at a gnats under £100.

Are spares available? If so it's probably not an economic repair.

I'd like to know what if anything they paid for it!

PS, although a modeller of things Great Western, I'd quite like a Shay locomotive.

Just not that one.

Sounds like the start of a joke: "My loco has no wheels! ..." 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Darius43 said:

May have some signs of cosmetic wear…

Usual understatement from Rails’ describer of second hand items.

“Comprehensively broken” might be more apt.

Cheers

Darius

That's a typical Bachmann Shay lunching it's own undergubbins after a few hours of running.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2