EBay madness

Marcyg

11 hours ago, 40152 said:

Is it the silly season on tank wagons? Here’s an overpriced friend for your job lot…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265184679444?

Crikey; same seller, same model of tank wagon, half the price:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265322626120?hash=item3dc675fc48:g:OT4AAOSwv3FhSQ3u

Extensive market research gone on there, then 🙃

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm beginning to wonder if we can build some sort of trigger that's run whenever Gostude posts something new onto EBay, that automatically posts a link to this topic. Think of all the time and effort we'd save if we didn't have to link on here manually...

We could randomly add some "really at that price?" style comments and probably save ourselves a lot of effort in any given month.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

I'm beginning to wonder if we can build some sort of trigger that's run whenever Gostude posts something new onto EBay, that automatically posts a link to this topic. Think of all the time and effort we'd save if we didn't have to link on here manually...

We could randomly add some "really at that price?" style comments and probably save ourselves a lot of effort in any given month.

It would be better to have a subthread as a target for that sort of thing.  Anyone at a loose end could then cherrypick the stream of dross and bring the most egregrious to our attention here.

Having it all in one place would also reveal the few items that were inadvertently listed at actually reasonable prices. There have been some!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

There is a favourite sellers facility on e-bay but I only list traders who have good stuff at sensible prices such as groovychick80.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I have bought a fair bit from that seller too. Seems to get hold of some interesting and unusual items, doesn't charge a fortune and is very efficient with packaging and delivery.

Also had a few bits from her. Is that the one that sometimes includes a sweet? Not that I am influenced by that of course.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

30 minutes ago, 40152 said:

Tell me this isn’t a tenner for what is effectively a bit of ripped up scotchbrite pad…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393910399823?hash=item5bb6e3b34f:g:M94AAOSwvzZh-pNn

…or perhaps the perceived value comes from the thing on the top? 

Wow! Rocket railways have been skip diving again I see...

I'm left wondering if the conversion was done with a chainsaw or an IED ?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 40152 said:

Tell me this isn’t a tenner for what is effectively a bit of ripped up scotchbrite pad…

Of course I have no idea what is charged for 'services rendered'

but I would have thought a tenner for a scrubber is quite cheap. :)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 40152 said:

Ok, since modelling always needs some suspension of disbelief, I’ll happily tell you that this isn’t a tenner for what is effectively a bit of ripped up scotchbrite (we call it brillo here) pad, but I’ll have my fingers crossed behind my back.  I’ll also tell you that there will be peace in our time, that the fighting will be over by xmas, TOCs first priority is customer service, the cheque’s in the post, I’ll still respect you in the morning, and that there really is a Santa Claus.  All thise things are just as true as each other…

The wheels might sit on the track properly  if the coach is very heavily ballasted, but the pads will scratch your railheads and scratches attract crud, meaning that this ‘cleaner’ will actually make your track dirtier.   Don’t buy this carp!

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Seconded!

How about this carp?

BigCarp.jpg.75430b4b2d3e8daf7633a01d974fbc63.jpg

Sometimes some carp is better than other carp....

That would probably do as good a job; at least it would sit (ok, flop) on the track and is heavy enough to stay in plaice…

I’ll fetch my own coat….

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Earlier today I was looking at some clock parts on e-bay

One listing was for 6 fusee mechanisms for spares only.

It said "NO RESERVE" (in upper case)

Start price was listed as £100

How can that be? Surely no reserve means 1p will get it if nobody else bids?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

11 hours ago, melmerby said:

I presume it says 'best offers' and so I think  what 'no reserve' means is  that if you offered £10 the seller would consider it. Whereas if he had set a reserve of, let's say, £50, then the system would automatically reject it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, melmerby said:

A reserve in an auction means a minium price below which the item won't be sold - so you could list somethng at £10 start wit ha £100 reserve, and it won't sell unless it gets to £100. I don't undertand the point of them, as surely it's better, and clearer, to just set the start price to £100 (as this seller has done)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, melmerby said:

Nick C posted his response whilst I was typing but I'll post this anyway.

If the seller sets a Reserve price it will always be above the Start Price.  For example, an auction listing could start at £10 but the seller doesn't want to part with the item for less than £50 so they set a Reserve of £50.  In the example you quoted above there is an effective reserve of £100 but the seller hasn't paid an additional fee for a Reserve price.  You will not be able to bid 1p as the first bid has to be £100 or more.

On a Buy-It-Now or auction listing where there is the option of making a Best Offer the seller can also specify a price below which offers will not be accepted.  This minimum offer price is not visible to potential buyers (for obvious reasons) but saves the seller from dealing with offers that are too low and the system rejects these offers automatically.

The idea of a Reserve price seems a little dated these days but still crops up.  There is an extra fee for setting a Reserve price and the seller has to balance this additional cost against the higher fee for a higher start price.  I suppose it might draw some people into bidding for an item with, say, a 99p start price but there is little difference between a 99p start price with a £100 Reserve and an item with a £100 start price and no Reserve other than the fact that the Reserve is not known until someone puts in a bid that is higher.

Edited by teaky
  • Like 1

A low start with an undisclosed reserve price is generally used in live auctions to get the ball rolling. If the bidding doesn't quite meet the reserve the auctioneer can discuss with the seller and use his discretion to offer the item at or close to reserve to the highest bidder.

As there's no auctioneer on eBay, this isn't possible, so it's simpler to start bidding at your reserve price. The ability to set a reserve is, I think, a throwback to the early days of eBay that has been kept on to reassure new sellers that eBay is a real auction site. There may also be some legal requirement.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Also had a few bits from her. Is that the one that sometimes includes a sweet? Not that I am influenced by that of course.

I enjoyed a chocolate éclair sweet last week which is her trade mark, even sweeter was the batch of chassis I bought. Been using her (Glen?) for quite some time as she and her husband find some interesting kits and parts and start the lots at quite low prices. Often supplies items for my good buy's postings 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Hroth said:

Seconded!

How about this carp?

BigCarp.jpg.75430b4b2d3e8daf7633a01d974fbc63.jpg

Sometimes some carp is better than other carp....

No problems with that carp, a fine specimen.  The Squeeze is Polish, and has introduced me to carp for xmas dinner which is the custom in several central European countries.  The carp we have is imported frozen; they are farmed and cornfed, but the tradition that she grew up with was for a wild carp to be caught by her father, and kept in the bath for a week or so so that it could be cornfed for the taste, and taken out and killed on xmas morning.  It's then gutted, stuffed, and roasted.

It's not bad, and I'm not a big fan of turkey anyway, bit bland. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1