EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

Well it can't be easy, dealing with questions as per the Q&A.

I know it must be annoying as a seller, but I had to chuckle when I read that.

One question, what happened to all those code 3 paint jobs? I haven't seen one for ages!

• RMweb Gold

Cheers, sometimes I need to do the obvious. Sorry about that!

Is code 3 some sort of official term, and are there codes 1 and 2? Or is it just an ebay thing like the overuse of the word "rare"?

• RMweb Premium

Code 1, 2, 3 are/were codes in wide circulation with the model car/bus fraternity.  'Some people' have started using them for trains......  The terms pre-date ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Code-3-Diecast-Explained/10000000003582172/g.html

It seems to me and maybe others that Code 3, when applied to trains, = dodgy repaint! :scratchhead:

Keith

• Like 2

Code 1, 2, 3 are/were codes in wide circulation with the model car/bus fraternity.  'Some people' have started using them for trains......  The terms pre-date ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Code-3-Diecast-Explained/10000000003582172/g.html

So, by using the Code 3 description, I can sell my old Flying Scotsman loco, with a mix of SR Maunsell & LMS Stanier coaches and a GWR toad brake van as a 'Code 3 Special' !!     :derisive:

Cheers, Gary.

ps., Forgot to add that I'll paint it all Royal Blue...

• RMweb Gold

21 locos.

1240 of your Earth pounds.

One photo. Of some of the locos. And some others which aren't in the listing.

Form an orderly queue, ladies and gentlemen.

"Any reasonable offer might be accepted."  but no facility to make a reasonable offer, other than by message, which would take the offer outside of E Bay rules.

• RMweb Gold

Message from the seller

"I just took a random photo ,the ones for sale are the ones listed."

Cheers,

Mick

What a great idea.  When it comes time to sell my car I'll just pop down to the main road and take a general pic of the traffic.

I was browsing the buy-it-nows this lunchtime, and came across this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-32-218-Class-57xx-Pannier-Tank-8709-GWR-Green-/190870818468?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2c70c98ea4

Is this really the price of new Bachmann Pannier's, or is it just this seller? As a relatively small loco, I would have thought they would suit as the ideal 'jump' from, say, a Railroad model or the Bachmann equivalent. I remember them being about £45 recently, and I thought that was a bit steep but still accessible. However I cant help feeling some people will be put off from the hobby altogether when even relatively small models are now being priced in excess of £70.

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-32-218-Class-57xx-Pannier-Tank-8709-GWR-Green-/190870818468?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2c70c98ea4

Is this really the price of new Bachmann Pannier's, or is it just this seller? As a relatively small loco, I would have thought they would suit as the ideal 'jump' from, say, a Railroad model or the Bachmann equivalent. I remember them being about £45 recently, and I thought that was a bit steep but still accessible. However I cant help feeling some people will be put off from the hobby altogether when even relatively small models are now being priced in excess of £70.

Their price of £73.95 is simply Bachmann's RRP, so not unreasonable in my view.  Hatton's and Kernow both have it for sale at just under £63.

RFS: Having done a quick search, I agree with what you say. However, my point still stands - £73.95 for a Pannier tank??? Despite being in a sale, I bought a Commonwealth of Australia recently for less than that! Also, i'm pretty sure I bought both the Southern and SECR liveried C Classes for inside that as well. I certainly take nothing away from the model itself - I have a number in my collection, and all are superb - just that I certainly couldnt justify such an amount for the size of loco that is on offer. Even at £60+, it still seems steep to me. Also, its not like they are exactly 'new' - I cant remember off the top of my head when they were released, but the 8750's must have been out for getting on 10 years now (poss. more), and the 5700's around 5 (at a guess). Is it really costing this much to produce a loco of this size in order to turn around a respectable profit?

Edited by 84A

• RMweb Gold

The rrp of the 'dirtied' BR black version is a whisper over £80 - but then the cost of factory dirtying has gone up quite sharply so perhaps not surprising (although it surprised me when I saw it!)

• RMweb Gold

RFS: Having done a quick search, I agree with what you say. However, my point still stands - £73.95 for a Pannier tank??? Despite being in a sale, I bought a Commonwealth of Australia recently for less than that! Also, i'm pretty sure I bought both the Southern and SECR liveried C Classes for inside that as well. I certainly take nothing away from the model itself - I have a number in my collection, and all are superb - just that I certainly couldnt justify such an amount for the size of loco that is on offer. Even at £60+, it still seems steep to me. Also, its not like they are exactly 'new' - I cant remember off the top of my head when they were released, but the 8750's must have been out for getting on 10 years now (poss. more), and the 5700's around 5 (at a guess). Is it really costing this much to produce a loco of this size in order to turn around a respectable profit?

The price is about 50% (at RRP) of some of Bachmann's 8 coupled locos so it doesn't sound too much out of step to be honest.  Maybe we've all got far too used to having cheap models and as prices rise to take account of increased costs it is coming as a shock?  Simple situation is that if you want a decent looking r-t-r 57XX or 8750 these are the only kids on the block in 4mm scale.

• RMweb Premium

The rrp of the 'dirtied' BR black version is a whisper over £80 - but then the cost of factory dirtying has gone up quite sharply so perhaps not surprising (although it surprised me when I saw it!)

The RRP of a (economy) sound Pannier is only £132.........

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I think it's just the prices these days - not really "Ebay madness".  I model the Southern Region and a basic M7 - even with Hatton's discount - is £104! 

• RMweb Gold

So, by using the Code 3 description, I can sell my old Flying Scotsman loco, with a mix of SR Maunsell & LMS Stanier coaches and a GWR toad brake van as a 'Code 3 Special' !!     :derisive:

Cheers, Gary.

ps., Forgot to add that I'll paint it all Royal Blue...

Paint it yellow. You will treble the price.

• RMweb Gold

I think it's just the prices these days - not really "Ebay madness".  I model the Southern Region and a basic M7 - even with Hatton's discount - is £104! 

Shop around a little more, and RRR Models have M7s in both Southern Railway liveries, one at £90 and the other a little less.

• RMweb Gold

Have you ever seen a cliff-face that looked like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-backscene-cliff-face-backdrop-suits-00-n-Hornby-lima-Dapol-Bachmann-warhammer-/290945889729?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item43bdb9f5c1

My feeling is that cliffs weather slowly over the centuries, so all those sharp edges imply a newly exposed area.

• RMweb Premium

Have you ever seen a cliff-face that looked like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-backscene-cliff-face-backdrop-suits-00-n-Hornby-lima-Dapol-Bachmann-warhammer-/290945889729?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item43bdb9f5c1

My feeling is that cliffs weather slowly over the centuries, so all those sharp edges imply a newly exposed area.

Are those mint/boxed/unused cliffs??

Cheers,

Mick