EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Andy WD said:

Um....I'm pretty sure this shouldn't be allowed without a warning or note of some kind!

This kind of lack of knowledge can hurt people

https://www.rocketrailways.co.uk/online-store/OO-Gauge-Tyco-Pak-1-Power-Transformer-p206739070

Bl**dy hell. 

I have sent him a Facebook message via his FB page telling him what this item is and that it should *not* be plugged into the UK mains.  I have also said to him that from his listing he obviously doesn't understand what this item is, and that it should be removed from sale immediately before it causes harm to him or someone else (you can just see someone who "knows what they are doing" removing the US plug and wiring it to a UK plug). 

Rather exceeding my non-existent authority there as a private citizen, but as you said Andy, this isn't any longer just a matter of laughing at harmless ignorance.

The Rocket Railways Facebook page is also "interesting".

Richard

Edited by RichardT
Tidying up formatting
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That's some proper junk, voltage issues aside. Proof that a little knowledge is dangerous indeed. Love the "repainted Jintys", there's one titled repainted that actually isn't. Bright red with British Railways on the tanks. I had one when I was four or five. It's a "non runner" because they were never intended to be, just a push along toy! Clearly this seller either doesn't know his backside from ice cream or just doesn't care as long as he gets a sale. Knowing your subject isn't just good business practice, it's a safeguard not only for your customers but for yourself.

I have collected, bought sold and swapped all manner of things over the last 40 years, since I was at junior school and I learned early on that you never can be too careful in about the biggest way possible. I was about 19 and given a 3 foot long bomb of all things and told it was an old Royal Navy practice dummy. It turned out to be a WW1 anti personnel bomb containing 25 pounds of very unstable high explosive. We all make mistakes, but don't always get away with it. I hope that this guy does his homework from now on.

Edited by MrWolf
Reread the original post!
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I hope that this guy does his homework from now on.

I very much doubt that will happen.  The personnel photos look like the ones they show on TV programmes that expose rogue traders.  This outfit look like they should definitely be avoided.

Darius

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Andy WD said:

I'd just come across this woefully misdescribed remains of a Triang 3F and had come hot-foot to share it....  :jester:

The one description that IS mostly accurate is that its been "repainted".  Very badly...

Here's another of their offerings, a rather playworn "Hogwarts Castle" Castle in alleged 4/4* condition.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Hogwarts-Castle-Harry-Potter/114277352045?hash=item1a9b76026d:g:35cAAOSwjyhe9g~N

I rather like the creative arrangement of loco and tender...

* I shudder to think of what a 1/1 grading might look like!

Edited by Hroth
In addition...
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, RichardT said:

Here are the people behind the listings: https://www.rocketrailways.co.uk/about

2019 lockdown.

Did I miss something?

This scenario reminds of the dating sites who steal pictures from the internet and create "real" profiles to lure the gullible into parting with their cash.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

2019 lockdown.

Did I miss something?

This scenario reminds of the dating sites who steal pictures from the internet and create "real" profiles to lure the gullible into parting with their cash.

Mike.

The TV adverts for those dating sites make me laugh. Often an achingly pretty girl saying that she joined up to find someone.

AS IF she ever had trouble with getting a date.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_demotivation_us_Beautiful-smart-funny-already-has-a-boyfriend_133243843831.jpg

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The TV adverts for those dating sites make me laugh. Often an achingly pretty girl saying that she joined up to find someone.

AS IF she ever had trouble with getting a date.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_demotivation_us_Beautiful-smart-funny-already-has-a-boyfriend_133243843831.jpg

Yes, but serial killers need love too!

Mike.

• Funny 2

16 hours ago, petethemole said:

How about this tender, smashed to bits and then roughly propped together; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Black-Tender/114288243077?hash=item1a9c1c3185:g:8hoAAOSwkYle~0Sr

"Body Condition (1-5, 5 being the best):4

Running Condition (1-5, 5 being the best):0

Original Box:No

Any other details about the conditionOk Condition"

I'd hate to see a Condition 5!!

10 hours ago, RichardT said:

Here are the people behind the listings: https://www.rocketrailways.co.uk/about

Selected bits from their profiles

Paul doesn't mind the loco on the front, as long as he is sitting in the Pullman coach with a beer!
Ed is also a keen rugby player.
Jason Thickpenny ... His favorite train is the Mallard

Its no wonder that their descriptions and gradings are a bit awry!

To be fair, its a very small new company.  It must be a bit difficult to think up an engaging profile.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Andy WD said:

Yes, it's a poor representation of the Andy Capp special, no wonder you want to finsh the job properly :cray_mini:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well, amazingly I've had a response from Rocket Railways.  Two responses actually, both unsigned. 

The first queried my concerns because "it has been tested in house (like every controller is) and no issues have been reported to me (I own the business).  I am going to disable [sic] the item for now while I investigate further."

The second, an hour later, said "I've just been into the shop and you were absolutely spot on with your comments and I will be talking to our product lister accordingly."  (my emphasis)

Make of those what you will.  On the one hand, the potentially dangerous listing looks like it will be removed or amended (I hope).  On the other, if we take them at face value, it does look as if the owner might know a little, but that he is putting his business in the hands of a "product lister" who knows nothing!  Presumably this "product lister" is the genius responsible for all the ebay listings. Wonder which one of the three profiled on the website it is? 

The second message then ends "Long shot...but out of curiosity do you know what I mean when I talk about a mystery shopper?  This information is so valuable from auditing point of view."

Well, well.  Am I being asked if I'm a mystery shopper, or is he asking if I would like to be one because he's just suddenly got a faint idea that all might not be well with his business?

I am tempted to reply, and to suggest that a mystery shopper is the least of his problems! (Also, if he signed his messages that would be good).

Getting a faint whiff of DJ Models syndrome here....

Richard

Edited by RichardT
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Of course, we could all send them messages correcting their listings...

Wouldn't that be good...

I think that may just be what being a "mystery shopper" for Rocket Railways would entail.

Oh, and for no payment, of course?

;)

The "Returns Policy" is good though...

Returns policy

All items are guaranteed for 30 days, regardless of the reason for wanting to return your item.

We will be responsible for the postage cost as well.

Maybe not so good with listings as wide of the mark as theirs though.

In theory, there are a lot of items leaving RR wide open for claims on the eBay guarantee, as "not as described"! :dontknow:

Edited by Sarahagain
typo
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, RichardT said:

Presumably this "product lister" is the genius responsible for all the ebay listings. Wonder which one of the three profiled on the website it is? 

The "keen rugby player"?

He IS the Production Operative....

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sarahagain said:

In theory, there are a lot of items leaving RR wide open for claims on the eBay guarantee, as "not as described"!

I’ve often wondered about this - can claims be made if the description is wrong but photos are correct? E.g. an item in poor condition, listed as good condition but where the photos very clearly illustrate the actual condition?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just checking to see if he has removed the US voltage controller, I searched for "controller" on the site - which produced this page of horrors:

https://www.rocketrailways.co.uk/online-store/search%3Fkeyword%3Dcontroller

Would you plug any of those tatty units into the mains?!

I'm getting the impression that he's bought a pile of stuff from house clearances or junk shops, and hasn't any idea what he's dealing with.  In a sense this is moving OT as we're talking about the trader's website, but I'm sure he'll put this stuff on eBay at some point, so it's still eBay madness.

Frankly, I think I'll just walk away from this now, but I will send him a final message urging him to talk to someone who knows about model railways.  And, in fairness, I think I ought to mention to him that his listings are a standing joke on this forum, given that this is open to anyone to read.  What he does then is up to him. 

Let's be thankful for the many decent model railway traders we have out there, whose reputation isn't helped by these kind of cowboys.

Richard

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The rather tired Hornby ones with the wall plug power adaptors would probably be ok (for a given value of ok) as would the HM2000 units, but you'd want your head examining to want them.  I wouldn't touch any of the controllers with built in transformers with a double insulated bargepole, particularly the rusty ones!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

11 hours ago, RichardT said:

Just checking to see if he has removed the US voltage controller, I searched for "controller" on the site - which produced this page of horrors:

https://www.rocketrailways.co.uk/online-store/search%3Fkeyword%3Dcontroller

Would you plug any of those tatty units into the mains?!

I'm getting the impression that he's bought a pile of stuff from house clearances or junk shops, and hasn't any idea what he's dealing with.  In a sense this is moving OT as we're talking about the trader's website, but I'm sure he'll put this stuff on eBay at some point, so it's still eBay madness.

Frankly, I think I'll just walk away from this now, but I will send him a final message urging him to talk to someone who knows about model railways.  And, in fairness, I think I ought to mention to him that his listings are a standing joke on this forum, given that this is open to anyone to read.  What he does then is up to him. 

Let's be thankful for the many decent model railway traders we have out there, whose reputation isn't helped by these kind of cowboys.

Richard

Seeing as you have a channel open, and now appear to be their main business advisor this may be of some use!

https://www.hants.gov.uk/business/tradingstandards/businessadvice/safety/secondhandelectricals

Edited by Andy WD
Format
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, MartinWales said:

Indeed! Wonder if any of them are PAT tested?

If PAT stands for Pretty Awful Transformers

I'd say they all pass with no problem.

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

As a former PAT tester myself, a lot of those would not have even reached the testing stage with me, it would be straight to the red condemned sticker and the plug cut off...

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

48 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

As a former PAT tester myself, a lot of those would not have even reached the testing stage with me, it would be straight to the red condemned sticker and the plug cut off...

Better still, thrown in the bin!!

• Agree 2