EBay madness

Marcyg

Guest Half-full
17 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Don’t buy this

First time I’ve seen this on eBay - item for sale that’s already been sold so don’t buy it - says the seller.

Is this to avoid some eBay de-listing fee?

Darius

The seller has had an 85 on with the same sold not since at least January this year

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Half-full said:

The seller has had an 85 on with the same sold not since at least January this year

The seller seems to have a lot of sold or withdrawn from sale items listed.  Strange way to operate.

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

Same bidders as the other crazy lots recently.  I bet the sellers will be glad when the schools go back.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I was reserving judgment, but on reflection....

Some people clearly have far too much money, or really need to get out more.

I reckon there are some sad, bored people out there who bid up items to ridiculous levels and then don't complete the sale just to mess the seller about.

Mike.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, 73c said:

Just clicked on this and it's coming up at £44 and 7 bids

One of the people doing all the crazy bidding is no longer registered and bid cancelled.  No doubt he'll be back in another guise?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 73c said:

There's a bid retraction:

b***i(16feedback score: 16)Not a registered user    
Cancelled:£888.00    
Bid:5 Jul 2020 at 10:21:19PM BST
Cancelled:9 Jul 2020 at 3:44:58PM BST

Smells of shill bidding. Interestng that the user shows as no longer registered...

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 73c said:

That's what I found too.

I was wondering what all the fuss was about.

At that price it would have gone on my watch list,

except it doesn't fit my modelling era.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 73c said:

Well it was £980 and 10 bidders earlier on.  I guess the mad bidders have retracted in some way

Guest Half-full
1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

There's a bid retraction:

b***i(16feedback score: 16)Not a registered user    
Cancelled:£888.00    
Bid:5 Jul 2020 at 10:21:19PM BST
Cancelled:9 Jul 2020 at 3:44:58PM BST

Smells of shill bidding. Interestng that the user shows as no longer registered...

Seems that bidder had bid on a few items in my watch list - noticed the price dropping earlier, including the 600 quid 170!

• RMweb Premium
On 08/07/2020 at 08:34, Sarahagain said:

Now it could be as simple as the seller not knowing how to remove a listing?

Never ascribe to malice, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately that remnants of an old Mini has the log book and VIN plates so what you have there is a ringing kit, someone with an identical model in good condition may find it missing at some point whereupon this one magically returns to the road phoenix like....  

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Unfortunately that remnants of an old Mini has the log book and VIN plates so what you have there is a ringing kit, someone with an identical model in good condition may find it missing at some point whereupon this one magically returns to the road phoenix like....  

Would there be a point to this? Possibly insurance fraud/cloning but it seems over-complicated.

23 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Would there be a point to this? Possibly insurance fraud/cloning but it seems over-complicated.

It's actually very simple, which is why vehicle manufacturers made ever more complex methods of vehicle identification. Although it has died down with the introduction of the new style registration numbers, during the craze for "cherished registrations" or "Ego plates" as we called them, unscrupulous dealers, of which there were many, would simply swap the valuable plates and VIN tags from a junker, onto a similar vehicle and take it for an MOT, after which they could sell the number. The donor vehicle would then receive an age related registration. More often than not they were scrapped, hundreds of classic cars which were eminently saveable were lost that way.

In the case of Minis and a number of other popular classic cars, you can simply fit as much or as little of the original car as you want quite legally to a reproduction "Heritage" bodyshell. Or if you're handy with a welder, replace virtually everything below the roof line.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

It’ll more likely be bought by an enthusiast or classic restorer and be built up from the ground as with you say a “heritage” shell, it’ll get more publicity and money that way......I’ll guarantee the Mini classic geeks are already all over the advert and are looking for progress on the build already :lol:  and unscrupulous souls with ideas about ringing will be very quickly found out when the “new Cooper 997” is for sale and it has an old factory shell rather than a restored version.

I would think a new to the market 997 would fetch upwards of £30K nowadays.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Informative/Useful 1

58 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

It is to put a legitimate new identity on a stolen car. Straight out of the original "Gone in Sixty seconds" film and the reason why desirable classics are regularly stolen to order.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

You can actually get classic mini shells, so if you fancied a real old mini, without the aggro of welding up a completely shot original, you can buy an appropriate shell, transfer all the mechanical bits from the rustbucket you just bought from ebay and bingo!

http://www.bmh-ltd.com/minishell.htm

Just spotted the comments above.  :senile:

Edited by Hroth
Must remember to read previous posts...
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1