EBay madness

Marcyg

3 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

I don't think we've had this one before.  Just see what you can get for £3,249

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-Railway-Layout-OO-Gauge-6foot-6inch-x-4-foot/124292897606?hash=item1cf06f1b46:g:kBgAAOSw0mFe-aT1

I had a layout like that when I was about 12, even allowing for inflation in the last 35 years or so, it didn't cost anything like three and a half grand. Even back then I was also aware that steam era layouts are unlikely to have white lines on their model roads.;)

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-Railway-Layout-OO-Gauge-6foot-6inch-x-4-foot/124292897606?hash=item1cf06f1b46:g:kBgAAOSw0mFe-aT1

Ah, but it’s not your bog standard 6x4.  It’s 6ft6in by 4.

They say an extra six inches can make all the difference.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10

Silly price aside, it does take me back. I can still hear the roar of four worn out Triang clerestories and two Airfix B sets flying along behind a Hornby Brit. It was nearly as loud as the real thing and would have drowned out any DCC sound were it available back then! 

You might have noticed that although I was fussy about layout details even as a child, the rolling stock was a different matter altogether! :D

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 14/08/2020 at 13:28, Metr0Land said:

Probably some blokes wife selling his stuff after shes locked him in the attic,hes told her its worth that so it does not go eh..........

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Well, looking at the bids and the automatic bids made, it seems that the winning bid for this single coach was made hours before the end of the auction, but was pushed up at the end by a matching bid of £150 (the earlier bid of the same amount taking precedence). Considering the item started at just £0.99, the madness on view in this instance is that once the bid price reached over £40 is that somebody thought it worth bidding £150 in order to win it! (In fact it would appear two bidders thought so!) Is this coach really that rare?

My eBay madness was setting an alarm for five minutes before the end of an auction I was very interested in, and letting the dog out just before the alarm thereby missing my opportunity to bid! Perhaps not madness, but I wasn't half mad!!

Steve S

UPDATE

I posted this after the page was open some time, so the low starting bid was already commented upon - not to mention that some people really di have more money than sense!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Delayed posting

14 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Well, looking at the bids and the automatic bids made, it seems that the winning bid for this single coach was made hours before the end of the auction, but was pushed up at the end by a matching bid of £150 (the earlier bid of the same amount taking precedence). Considering the item started at just £0.99, the madness on view in this instance is that once the bid price reached over £40 is that somebody thought it worth bidding £150 in order to win it! (In fact it would appear two bidders thought so!) Is this coach really that rare?

My eBay madness was setting an alarm for five minutes before the end of an auction I was very interested in, and letting the dog out just before the alarm thereby missing my opportunity to bid! Perhaps not madness, but I wasn't half mad!!

Steve S

UPDATE

I posted this after the page was open some time, so the low starting bid was already commented upon - not to mention that some people really di have more money than sense!

Given that the bid matches exactly, should we be suspicious of shill bidding here? I may have misunderstood or be reading too much into it.

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Given that the bid matches exactly, should we be suspicious of shill bidding here? I may have misunderstood or be reading too much into it.

Given the top 2 bidders have scores of 550+ and 1600+ it doesn't look like shill bidding to me.  In my experience it's usually users with much lower scores that indulge in it, or maybe use the 'bidders idenitity hidden to protect buyers' option which always looks suspicious to me.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, John M Upton said:

What, dare I ask is Ebay Packlink when its at home?!?

It's their in-house courier arrangements. I used it once when they were offering free collection at the height of the lockdown.

Turned out they subbed it out to Hermes so I was rather nervous. It was collected a day later than scheduled was fine as things really were in a mess then, and it was delivered OK so in this instance my fears weren't realised. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Is this like the GSP but for domestic shipments?

I guess so - although (not that it matters) you put the end recipient address on the package whereas you send GSP packages to a central location that then gets relabelled and forwarded.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Bucoops said:

It's their in-house courier arrangements. I used it once when they were offering free collection at the height of the lockdown.

Turned out they subbed it out to Hermes so I was rather nervous. It was collected a day later than scheduled was fine as things really were in a mess then, and it was delivered OK so in this instance my fears weren't realised. 

Me too.    The first item I sold, the Hermes guy duly came and collected.   Item two and item three, Hermes never showed, despite reminders and getting eBay involved, and I ended up having to drive the parcels to Hermes' nearest collection point.  Went back to using Royal Mail, even if it entails queuing and then masking to enter the local post office.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Our local post office is about to close - not through lack of business itself but the newsagent it is within. Both local newsagents are closing. The nearest one got robbed quite frequently and was never busy, The place never felt welcoming so I rarely used it too.

• Friendly/supportive 4

On 11/08/2020 at 16:25, cessna152towser said:

I commented on this last night, but my post disappeared (we've been having internet issues, though)

My question was how much did this limited edition sell for originally, thinking that perhaps Hornby put a premium on it above the standard Railroad Class 66 price of £74.99. I stumbled across the relevant thread a few minutes ago, and discovered it sold for the same price as normal, with Hornby donating £40 from each sale to the NHS Charities.

On checking the link, I see that the seller had revised the price down to a mere £154.99, so is now only looking to make a mere 100% profit upon the original sale price.

I,  too, was disgusted at how she worded her advert. I checked to see if - just maybe - Hornby had been crass enough to use that advertising "slogan" but no - as I actually expected, Hornby produced the model out of gratitude and respect for both Sir Captain Tom Moore* and the NHS, and their entire copy was around both that, the donation to charity and the increase to 3,500 models (instead if the initial 500).

I will be messaging her via eBay, informing her of Hornby's £40 donation off every sale and asking her if she intends to do the same? If so, I will ask her to update her listing to say so. I shall also point out that many of us are disgusted at her choice of wording in her advert, and ask (nay demand) her to remove it out of respect for the thousands who have died.

Hours of Fun Indignation!

UPDATE

Maybe she reads this forum - on clicking the link to message her, I see that the listing has ended. Have edited out my suggestion for a mass messaging campaign!

Edited by SteveyDee68
LISTING ENDED!!!
  • Like 5