Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

Hi Colin

Why not? You must be lossing that fighting sprit as you get older. :)

It is strange how many experts there are out there on all types of things there are. Many are very helpful but some?????? I was in John Dutfield's shop a few years ago and thumbing through one of the latest comics and chatting with the other layabouts customers someone made a comment about the downpipes on a model building. This geezer started, basically it was all wrong according to him and he went into reams of what was wrong. When he left the shop another customer said "he was talking Bow Locks, I have been a builder all my life and that model doesn't look wrong to me".  :thankyou:

My Father was a Railway Civil Engineer all his working life, and had as a boy spent nearly all his time outside School around the railway, including stuff which would not be allowed today like driving the locomotive on an auto train to school and at the age of six or seven being given a packet of sandwiches and being sent off to spend the day "helping" at shunting round the local yard.  

He has an encyclopaedic knowledge of most of the GWR territory south of Birmingham.  This happens when someone has travelled over nearly all of it and worked on a substantial portion too.

I am very glad that Dad is essentially a placid and forgiving man.  He showed the patience of a saint at a local beer festival when a couple of railway enthusiasts of our acquaintance not only started talking absolute bobbins about (a) an engineering matter and (b) the closure of a certain route but also then quite vociferously disagreed with him when he suggested the correct information because they were the experts on these matters at their MRC ;)

• Like 1

"Thank you for that information. I will remember it for future builds" or similar may be better than "**** off"

Yes it may be the more polite reply but I know which is the more sincere!

Jim

Has anyone actually been lynched at a model railway show, or are we all worrying unnecessarily?

;)

We used to have a very convenient balcony at one of our previous venues............................ :girldevil:

On the German Drehscheibe forum, there is a question being asked about the correct scale size of household coal. Just think of the fun that could bring!

Mike

One could march up to any finescale GWR layout, look at the models for a moment or two and then say - preferably in a loud, penetrating, nasal monotone - "typical, just typical. It's clear that they don't know the difference between finest Welsh anthracite and the cheap bituminous crap from the midlands. You certainly couldn't steam a [name a GWR loco] with that crap in the tender/bunker. Just cos they got the rail spacing correct, doesn't mean they're TRUE finescale modellers"

iD

• Like 10

One for the organizers of an event:

Call it a model train show, then charge 1 pound for every person who says its a railway show, not a train show. Double charge for any American who says it's a railroad!

• Like 1

One could march up to any finescale GWR layout, look at the models for a moment or two and then say - preferably in a loud, penetrating, nasal monotone - "typical, just typical. It's clear that they don't know the difference between finest Welsh anthracite and the cheap bituminous crap from the midlands. You certainly couldn't steam a [name a GWR loco] with that crap in the tender/bunker. Just cos they got the rail spacing correct, doesn't mean they're TRUE finescale modellers"

iD

Not being a GWR afficionado, I had to check a couple of reference books before I got the subtlety of that. Now I can mutter with the rest: anthracite or steam coal?

• RMweb Premium

iD

If its post nationalisation anything but Welsh steam coal would be correct.

I don't know if a similar story has been posted before for elsewhere but I remember hearing one person at one of the Tonbridge exhibitions ask a layout why they weren't running any Southern Railway locomotives when they were exhibiting in a Southern Railway town, put it this way, I recall it being possibly an LNER or LMS layout, definitely of Northern origin, can't remember exactly, nor can I recall the name. However in this case it was a scenario of "If looks could kill" I remember it specifically because of the question more than anything.

I also got asked a similar sort of question with my layout Fiddlers End at the Tonbridge Exhibition in 2012, though it was to do with the fact I had been running GWR livery and Late Crest BR livery locomotives (I have at least two early crest locos as well), at the same time when that wouldn't have happened, to which I replied "If you read in the show guide, I think you will find it's a fictional preserved railway", to which the viewer shuffled off rather sheepishly (I of course said it in a most polite and diplomatic manner, It doesn't pay to be rude towards paying visitors, however much you feel like you want to chase after them with flaming torches and pitchforks for asking daft questions!). :D ^_^ :)

Edited by GWR-Fanatic
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I don't know if a similar story has been posted before for elsewhere but I remember hearing one person at one of the Tonbridge exhibitions ask a layout why they weren't running any Southern Railway locomotives when they were exhibiting in a Southern Railway town, put it this way, I recall it being possibly an LNER or LMS layout, definitely of Northern origin, can't remember exactly, nor can I recall the name. However in this case it was a scenario of "If looks could kill" I remember it specifically because of the question more than anything.

I also got asked a similar sort of question with my layout Fiddlers End at the Tonbridge Exhibition in 2012, though it was to do with the fact I had been running GWR livery and Late Crest BR livery locomotives (I have at least two early crest locos as well), at the same time when that wouldn't have happened, to which I replied "If you read in the show guide, I think you will find it's a fictional preserved railway", to which the viewer shuffled off rather sheepishly (I of course said it in a most polite and diplomatic manner, It doesn't pay to be rude towards paying visitors, however much you feel like you want to chase after them with flaming torches and pitchforks for asking daft questions!). :D ^_^ :)

Ahhh!!!! I like the idea of flaming torches and pitchforks as alternative or an addition to a simple lynching

:nono:

• Like 2

Ahhh!!!! I like the idea of flaming torches and pitchforks as alternative or an addition to a simple lynching

:nono:

Perhaps tarring and feathering or riding out of the hall on a rail for minor offences, or, for persistent offenders, a scold's bridle?

• Like 1

Perhaps tarring and feathering or riding out of the hall on a rail for minor offences, or, for persistent offenders, a scold's bridle?

Personally I'm not sure I'm in favour of punishment for stupid questions at least not if I'm still to visit exhibitions.Several years ago I was admiring  the most excellent layout Stainmore when into view came an exquisitely modelled J21.Immediately I fell in love with it, I needed to know if it was scratchbuilt or from a kit,if it was a kit I was going to get one.

So applying my recently acquired extensive knowledge of all things North Eastern I said to the operator,"Excuse me but that J21 is lovely is it a kit and if so who makes it?"

The operator replied,"It's not a J21 it's a J25,but it's from London Road Models"

I winced a little at this reply but when your in a hole you stop digging.Not if you're me you don't.So I said," I must say your dry stone walling is the best I've ever seen what are the stones made from?" The operator replied "Stone".

I then hurriedly retired to the toilets and had a little cry.

PS.I'm currently building my J25 kit now and if you fancy another laugh at my expense there's some pictures of the build in my link below.Come to think of it my over thick homemade splasher tops make my J25 look more reminiscent of a J21.

Edited by iainp

Matt you make the mistake in thinking people read the show guides.  The number of times I have had that we didn't realise there were other halls (or upstairs) when they walk round, despite numerous signs to indicate this, or stewards to ask.

Colin

• Like 1

Personally I'm not sure I'm in favour of punishment for stupid questions at least not if I'm still to visit exhibitions.Several years ago I was admiring  the most excellent layout Stainmore when into view came an exquisitely modelled J21.Immediately I fell in love with it, I needed to know if it was scratchbuilt or from a kit,if it was a kit I was going to get one.

So applying my recently acquired extensive knowledge of all things North Eastern I said to the operator,"Excuse me but that J21 is lovely is it a kit and if so who makes it?"

The operator replied,"It's not a J21 it's a J25,but it's from London Road Models"

I winced a little at this reply but when your in a hole you stop digging.Not if your me you don't.So I said," I must say your dry stone walling is the best I've ever seen what are the stones made from?" The operator replied "Stone".

PS.I'm currently building my J25 kit now and if you fancy another laugh at my expense there's some pictures of the build in my link below.Come to think of it my over thick homemade splasher tops make my J25 look more reminiscent of a J21.

And there's me thinking that all I was doing was suggesting a couple of merciful alternatives to capital punishment ...

It looks like the other chap wasn't too hard on you, though. Iain. I think most of us have innocently asked questions which show up our ignorance, then smiled self-deprecatingly at our own faux-pas and passed it off with a small joke at our own expense and a dignified word of thanks for the enlightenment. Then it's on to the next layout to start all over again ...

• Like 1

Remember, there's no such thing as stupid questions.......just stupid people ;) When on crane duty at shows I sometimes get asked if I'm operating the crane or whether it's automatic, to me it seems a bit af a stupid question but then I think maybe it's just a sign that other's reliance/belief on technology is better than mine. Aka I'm a technophobe.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I winced a little at this reply but when your in a hole you stop digging.Not if you're me you don't.So I said," I must say your dry stone walling is the best I've ever seen what are the stones made from?" The operator replied "Stone".

Is that known as a "self-lynching"?

Cheers,

Mick

Is that known as a "self-lynching"?

Cheers,

Mick

I don't know Mick, but it's a true story and it amused me at the time and I thought it might amuse other people now.The only part that isn't true is crying in the toilets I made that up for effect,(although I admit I did feel like doing so), I'm made of sterner stuff than that.Mind you when you make a fool of your self as often as I do you need to be.

• Like 1