Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

There's been several variations of that, although the ones I've seen have been road vehicles - maybe for a quicker getaway??

Of course the correct thing to do if you see one on a layout is to state in a loud nerdy voice "Actually I think you'll find - that's the wrong colour for a Rivet Counter Detector Van"...... :D

Shortly followed by:

"Actually I am the second most pedantic person you have ever met"

Another suggestion for getting the wrong side of people at a show

the great gathering instead of the Hornby models turn up with repainted Brio engines of all 6!

I already have Mallard!

(Did I just admit that?  :no:  :locomotive:  :locomotive: )

• 2 weeks later...

Just been in a computer games store. I guess those of dubious personal hygiene hang out in these places when there's no model railway exhibition to go to?

Nah! Not at all Jenny. That's the staff! Be careful what you say about it though! That spotty eric you talk to could in reality be Thrud, The Mighty Barbarian Warrior fresh back from one of those dress-up weekend role playing sessions they're fond of!

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 1

I don't know about getting lynched, but one way of making yourself deeply unpopular with other exhibitors is to turn up with a small, nicely presented, layout - but one that has every model railway cliche in the book (house on fire, fire engines and police cars with blinking lights at an accident scene, a rocking caravan with "just married" on the outside, the improbable tunnel [the one where the track goes through the only rock on an otherwise completely flat flood-plain], the obligatory ruined castle, the wedding AND funeral at the church, unaltered RTP buildings, &tc., &tc.).

After setting up, and just as the show opens, put up a big poster that details - photographically - all the cliches on the layout, whilst underneath is emblazoned the legend "YOU'VE SEEN OUR CLICHES, NOW SEE HOW MANY YOU CAN SPOT ON THE OTHER LAYOUTS AT THIS SHOW", then hand out checklists for visitors to use...

Watching the expressions of fine scale layout operators as a 10 year old child says enthusiastically in a high, piping, carrying, voice "look, Daddy. This one has 5 of those cliche things" would be most droll....

iD

p.s. Another wizard wheeze would be to put two Hornby 72XXs on the track: one out-of-the-box, the other super detailed. Set them going at a reasonable clip on the track THEN put up a big sign: "£50 To anyone who can spot the one with the moulded handrails from behind the barrier", it is likely you'll have the £50 to spend at the end of the show...

OK, OK, I'll get me coat....

p.p.s. A Happy New Year To All

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

True story.....this bloke was very lucky the surprise and shock of the event had the better of me.

Exhibiting at the Woking show when this posh geezer, about 45ish, tweed jacket, old school tie and plumb in mouth was looking at Hanging Hill, "I say what is that?" Before any of us could see where he was indicating this hand reached at over the barrier and picked up a loco.....not any loco but one of my scratch built BTH type 1s (class 15 for the great unwashed). He flipped it over and starred at the undergubbins. "Oh it is not Hornby!!!!!" It is placed back on the layout as swiftly as it had been removed but not on the track. He then wanders off totally ignoring the gang of operators calling "Oi!! Mate come back 'ere." As I stood there open mouthed and muttering ".....not even back on the track....not even back on the track....not even back on the track ......not even back on the track....."

I was helped away and given a cup of tea and some abuse from the operators from Tonbridge West Yard to bring back to normality.

My mouth fell open when I read that.

Good thing I'd finished eating my lunch!

True story.....this bloke was very lucky the surprise and shock of the event had the better of me.

Exhibiting at the Woking show when this posh geezer, about 45ish, tweed jacket, old school tie and plumb in mouth was looking at Hanging Hill, "I say what is that?" Before any of us could see where he was indicating this hand reached at over the barrier and picked up a loco.....not any loco but one of my scratch built BTH type 1s (class 15 for the great unwashed). He flipped it over and starred at the undergubbins. "Oh it is not Hornby!!!!!" It is placed back on the layout as swiftly as it had been removed but not on the track. He then wanders off totally ignoring the gang of operators calling "Oi!! Mate come back 'ere." As I stood there open mouthed and muttering ".....not even back on the track....not even back on the track....not even back on the track ......not even back on the track....."

I was helped away and given a cup of tea and some abuse from the operators from Tonbridge West Yard to bring back to normality.

He probably didn't realise your colleagues were calling him when they said 'mate'...

My Greyhound was leaving the station hauling my Bulleid 57' set

Bill

That confused me, the previous post was about a real dog! Edited by Talltim

• RMweb Premium

A memory of one exhibition with South Pimlico....

My now-retired SR urban grot layout featured, at one end, a second-hand goods emporium complete with a pile of washing machines/cookers outside (sourced from old Linka detail packs). Some bloke (yes, he DID have a nerdy voice and no, he WASN'T joking) studied the shop scene for a while, then informed me loudly that as my layout was set in 1967, my washing machines were out of period as front-loaders weren't around in the 1960s.

It's not often I'm completely lost for words.........

Edited by Colin
  • Like 7

A memory of one exhibition with South Pimlico....

My now-retired SR urban grot layout featured, at one end, a second-hand goods emporium complete with a pile of washing machines/cookers outside (sourced from old Linka detail packs). Some bloke (yes, he DID have a nerdy voice and no, he WASN'T joking) studied the shop scene for a while, then informed me loudly that as my layout was set in 1967, my washing machines were out of period as front-loaders weren't around in the 1960s.

It's not often I'm completely lost for words.........

He was also not entirely correct. My parents had a Bendix Automatic front-loader which, I'm pretty sure, was bought when I was born (early in 1967). A bit young to be outside a secondhand shop before 1970 but extant nonetheless. Bloody thing was the size of a small house and weighed about half a ton too, although its massive construction didn't seem to translate into long term reliability as it seemed to go wrong an awful lot as it aged past its first decade.

• RMweb Premium

He was also not entirely correct. My parents had a Bendix Automatic front-loader which, I'm pretty sure, was bought when I was born (early in 1967). A bit young to be outside a secondhand shop before 1970 but extant nonetheless. Bloody thing was the size of a small house and weighed about half a ton too, although its massive construction didn't seem to translate into long term reliability as it seemed to go wrong an awful lot as it aged past its first decade.

You're quite right of course, I knew that the washing machine enthusiast was wrong - but there's just no way I was going to argue with him!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You're quite right of course, I knew that the washing machine enthusiast was wrong - but there's just no way I was going to argue with him!

Hi Colin

Why not? You must be lossing that fighting sprit as you get older. :)

It is strange how many experts there are out there on all types of things there are. Many are very helpful but some?????? I was in John Dutfield's shop a few years ago and thumbing through one of the latest comics and chatting with the other layabouts customers someone made a comment about the downpipes on a model building. This geezer started, basically it was all wrong according to him and he went into reams of what was wrong. When he left the shop another customer said "he was talking Bow Locks, I have been a builder all my life and that model doesn't look wrong to me".  :thankyou: 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Colin

Why not? You must be lossing that fighting sprit as you get older. :)

It is strange how many experts there are out there on all types of things there are. Many are very helpful but some?????? I was in John Dutfield's shop a few years ago and thumbing through one of the latest comics and chatting with the other layabouts customers someone made a comment about the downpipes on a model building. This geezer started, basically it was all wrong according to him and he went into reams of what was wrong. When he left the shop another customer said "he was talking Bow Locks, I have been a builder all my life and that model doesn't look wrong to me".  :thankyou:

Clive,  I learnt a long time ago that it's never a good idea to pick an argument with a fanatic or obsessive of any kind.

In any case, I had a layout to operate and was more than glad to get away from the bloke (it was somewhat ironic that a chap who knew so much about laundry equipment apparently never used it himself :heat:  :bad: ).

Edited by Colin

• RMweb Premium

Clive,  I learnt a long time ago that it's never a good idea to pick an argument with a fanatic or obsessive of any kind.

In any case, I had a layout to operate and was more than glad to get away from the bloke (it was somewhat ironic that a chap who knew so much about laundry equipment apparently never used it himself :heat:  :bad: ).

Agreed Colin,

I think that's one scenario where the phrase " Life's Too Short" should be upmost in the mind - alongside the nasal senses !

Regards,

John

• RMweb Premium

On the German Drehscheibe forum, there is a question being asked about the correct scale size of household coal. Just think of the fun that could bring!

Mike

The Germans are famous for their attention to detail but.... 

That is the sort of fantastic, cutting, withering response you always think of about two hours too late... :D

• Like 1