Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

• RMweb Premium

Returning to the topic of catering at the Saturday social.  This year we had a variation that went down very well with the majority. Just before we let members have access to the buffet the membership secretary remarked that there were members present who had not paid this years subs.  So we announced, "Only fully paid up members can now go through".

Jamie

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

One lucky person got away without being lynched thanks to my mate.

I was doing some running repairs to the layout, as you do at shows and was under the baseboards. My mate was driving trains on the little bit of layout that was working.

"Those Esso tank wagons have the wrong size badge". says the geezer.

My mate clamly replies "If they are wrong I am sure Clive knows there are wrong". :sarcastichand:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We nearly had several more lynchings thie weekend at Wakefield.   Several of our members were rung by the other halves.  The conversations went along these lines. 

Wife.  "Where are you"

Member  "Setting up the show of course"

Wife, "Are you sure because according to the local rag it's cancelled so do you wish to tell me where you really are or who with."

I think some of our more senior members were quite taken by the fact that their other half still thought they could be up to no good with another lady.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1

We nearly had several more lynchings thie weekend at Wakefield.   Several of our members were rung by the other halves.  The conversations went along these lines. 

Wife.  "Where are you"

Member  "Setting up the show of course"

Wife, "Are you sure because according to the local rag it's cancelled so do you wish to tell me where you really are or who with."

I think some of our more senior members were quite taken by the fact that their other half still thought they could be up to no good with another lady.

Jamie

Good job I don't waste my money on things only suitable to wrap fish and chips in...................................

• Like 1

Hmmm, layout in a shopping basket... simple roundy roundy in N, track halfway up the basket side, with a central area sunken for a lake or small village..... - I'm just off to Tesco, won't be long...

You could use the handles for a bridge and glue a little bus on them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You could use the handles for a bridge and glue a little bus on them.

Make it really portable by using a sshopping trolley instead then when you are placing it at a show you can get yourself lynched when it bangs into every other layout on the way to where you have been put due to the in built self steering qualities.

Jamie

Make it really portable by using a shopping trolley instead then when you are placing it at a show you can get yourself lynched when it bangs into every other layout on the way to where you have been put due to the in built self steering qualities.

Jamie

Actually Jamie the shopping trolley's  a brilliant idea.Somewhere to put all those vital bits and parts you've purchased,just think how many spare camera tripods etc you could get in a trolley and so much more convenient and useful than the 75 litre expedition rucksack I currently take to shows.Crikey  I could put the kids in the trolley,leave it in front of a layout and go and talk with me mates in front of another layout.Fantastic idea see you at Wakefield next year.

Edited by iainp

• RMweb Premium

I saw a chap go one better than a shopping trolley at Warely one year. His wife/girlfriend/partner was a wheelchair user. I don't think she could see many layouts as he had piled the goodies so high on her lap. :nono:

Thinking about the past when the kids were in pushchair size, I nearly always got a good view of the layouts at shows. There always seemed to be a group of people limping as they walked from the layouts I had just got the kids to see. :unsure:

OMG to add to the ruck-sacs / wheelchair and mobility scooters moaners at Warley next year we are going to have TROLLEY RAGE............its going to be like the local ASDA on a Christmas Eve........................Get me out of here I'm a modeller !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :jester:

• RMweb Premium

OMG to add to the ruck-sacs / wheelchair and mobility scooters moaners at Warley next year we are going to have TROLLEY RAGE............its going to be like the local ASDA on a Christmas Eve........................Get me out of here I'm a modeller !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :jester:

I can see a very simple answer that will allow the trolley user to deal with the rucsac/no personal hygene brigade, fit a tilting front to the trolley and just scoop them up then go to the side of the hall and dump them into one of the many skips.  (I'm sure that the exhibition manager could provide a convenient shute if asked).  This could be quite enjoyable and would clear the aisles, but only after they had paid for their tickets.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

I can see a very simple answer that will allow the trolley user to deal with the rucsac/no personal hygene brigade, fit a tilting front to the trolley and just scoop them up then go to the side of the hall and dump them into one of the many skips.  (I'm sure that the exhibition manager could provide a convenient shute if asked).  This could be quite enjoyable and would clear the aisles, but only after they had paid for their tickets.

Jamie

Look forward to seeing this at your show next year :mail:

Jamie you're a true visionary not only do you propose the use of trolleys at exhibitions, a stroke of genius I must say,but you have the foresight to grasp the possibilities and put forward Wakefield show as the first trolley friendly exhibition.Well done! So many in this hobby are slow to adapt to the future but not you.

With respect to next years show,obviously enthusiasts/visitors travelling by car will bring their own trolleys.But for visitors travelling by train I envisage that transporting a trolley by train,whilst not impossible, might  prove difficult.Any rail travellers however to Wakefield Westgate need not worry as there is a very conveniently situated retail park just on your left as you pass under the bridge and you can pick up a Wickes trolley there.

It only remains for me to wish you all the best with your next show which I'm sure will be unforgettable.

Edited by iainp

• RMweb Gold

Jamie you're a true visionary not only do you propose the use of trolleys at exhibitions, a stroke of genius I must say,but you have the foresight to grasp the possibilities and put forward Wakefield show as the first trolley friendly exhibition.Well done! So many in this hobby are slow to adapt to the future but not you.

With respect to next years show,obviously enthusiasts/visitors travelling by car will bring their own trolleys.But for visitors travelling by train I envisage that transporting a trolley by train,whilst not impossible, might  prove difficult.Any rail travellers however to Wakefield Westgate need not worry as there is a very conveniently situated retail park just on your left as you pass under the bridge and you can pick up a Wickes trolley there.

It only remains for me to wish you all the best with your next show which I'm sure will be unforgettable.

Surely visitors travelling by train will be able to collect luggage trollies at the station, thus using a far more suitable accessory for the model railway exhibition.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I must admit I like the idea of the Wickes trolleys, some of those are big enough to take a whole family group and even the mobility scooter at one go and already have a spring loaded base.  We will obviously have to enlarge the disposal shute.  

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

At the risk of being judged a black catter/two sheds/twelverife, I would be thinking more along these lines:

Scythed_chariot_by_da_Vinci.jpg

There's even a little runabout for the missus:

0075-British-War-Chariot-Shield-and-Spea

I like it a lot, someone has obviously got a sense of humour as evil as mine.   When i was at work I had a standing joke with one of the radio operators.  We devised a scheme to reopne the old Ferrybridge  power station and use it as a disposal facility for unwanted undesirables.   In slack times we would ahve given reduced rates for disposing of mother-in-laws.  After that whenever some member of the public failed the attitude test the comment "Another one for ferrybridge" would be heard.

Jamie

• Like 3

Your married to Boudica?

The Long Haired Controller makes Boudicca look like Nanny Cook in 101 Dalmatians, at least when anyone gets in her way.  I think it's because she's a no-nonsense New Zealander and while she swears she has no Maori blood she goes through crowds like an All Black with a glimpse of the try line.  

I should persuade her to come to exhibitions with me, she would beat your trolleys & rucksacks hands down ;)

• RMweb Premium

At the risk of being judged a black catter/two sheds/twelverife, I would be thinking more along these lines:

Scythed_chariot_by_da_Vinci.jpg

There's even a little runabout for the missus:

0075-British-War-Chariot-Shield-and-Spea

You go to all that effort and get to the front of the layout ....there it is, the hand of god, trying to persuade that old Tri-ang Princess to go across a wonderfully handbuilt double slip.....club layouts :declare:

• Like 1