Dapol working signals review

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

(Also, as an aside, what is the point of installing a signal on your layout in a position where you can't see it, & if this is the case, why would you care what aspect it was displaying?)

A very good point well made.

• RMweb Gold

"(Also, as an aside, what is the point of installing a signal on your layout in a position where you can't see it, & if this is the case, why would you care what aspect it was displaying?)"

Because if it's an exhibition layout, the viewers probably can...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Of course, what might happen is Bachmann or Hornby note the market for working signals that Dave has opened up and announce their own very much more detailed signals with all the perceived 'faults' ironed out of them. Folk with foresight are not always the ones that reap the benefits.

But if they do their prices are likely to be higher than Dapol's.

But if they do their prices are likely to be higher than Dapol's.

Perhaps, but if Dapol can do it for those prices why can't others?

Ok the Bachmann brass stuff was expensive as it was brass, and small runs - but I would guess that 'plastic injection moulding' costs are pretty much the same to most manufacturers, so it'll be the cost of the initial investment and how detailed (ie Railroad v Hornby standard range) the items are. Of course, in many cases the 'basic' models are good enough for most people and those that care about it can often spend a little extra money detailing rtr models to make them more acceptable so it's obviously going to be a difficult juggling act but let's hope Dapol have got it right at least - the worst thing they could do is end up producing to Lima 1970's standards, but I'm fairly confident that this is not going to be the case.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps, but if Dapol can do it for those prices why can't others?

Apologies if anyone else has brought attention to the planned Wizard Models (MSE) range of 'RTP' signals - http://www.wizardmodels.co.uk/FrameSetShop.php?DM=wizabout

£30 doesn't look too bad a price, knowing the quality that Andrew works to.

• Like 1

Apologies if anyone else has brought attention to the planned Wizard Models (MSE) range of 'RTP' signals - http://www.wizardmodels.co.uk/FrameSetShop.php?DM=wizabout

And do they come ready motorised for £30, as are the Dapol units.? For many, the Dapol units score as they are RTR.

Bob.

P.S. Captain.....has anyone asked you for an explanation of the passage about the Prussian Grenadiers...am I missing something here, is there a hidden message within that you are trying to convey to us. I have read it a number of times, and as it is BOLD typed, and such a lot of it...I thought, there has to be something of great wisdom or wit contained. Or maybe not.??

Just curious.

Bob.

Edited by 250BOB

• RMweb Gold

And do they come ready motorised for £30, as are the Dapol units.? For many, the Dapol units score as they are RTR.

Bob.

P.S. Captain.....has anyone asked you for an explanation of the passage about the Prussian Grenadiers...am I missing something here, is there a hidden message within that you are trying to convey to us. I have read it a number of times, and as it is BOLD typed, and such a lot of it...I thought, there has to be something of great wisdom or wit contained. Or maybe not.??

Just curious.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

The MSE ones aren't motorised, as far as I know, but they undoubtedly have a finesse that the Dapol signals (sadly, AFAIC) lack. Andrew Hartshorne is also producing a motorising unit, I believe though..

The reason for the Prussians goes back some way to the fact that there are various parties trying to track Lt. Cuthbertson down... ;)

• Like 2

Hi Bob,

The MSE ones aren't motorised, as far as I know, but they undoubtedly have a finesse that the Dapol signals (sadly, AFAIC) lack. Andrew Hartshorne is also producing a motorising unit, I believe though..

The reason for the Prussians goes back some way to the fact that there are various parties trying to track Lt. Cuthbertson down... ;)

Of course.......I should have realised.!!!

Excellent....if nothing else I have prompted you to give us more

:no:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The URL you quote is a general one for the whole site, which uses frames, so it doesn't show you the appropriate page. Try http://www.wizardmodels.co.uk/ProductsFound.php?pTXID=614093&pFirst=1&pPTy=SRP instead.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The URL you quote is a general one for the whole site, which uses frames, so it doesn't show you the appropriate page. Try http://www.wizardmod...irst=1&pPTy=SRP instead.

Thanks, but I just checked the link and it goes to the same page as my link - now confused!

Edited by Captain Kernow

Thanks, but I just checked the link and it goes to the same page as my link - now confused!

Yes, a strange artefact of how the site works (frames are one of the real horrors of HTML). Jane's link worked yesterday, but not today... :scratchhead:

Nick

Try this link and scroll down a bit..

I don't think the signal will be lit either but it will still look a little more "scale" than the Dapol one. Horses for courses and all that.

JF

Edit errr no it doesn't! sorry.

Edited by Jon Fitness

Just like the URL supplied earlier by Jane, this one1 contains a parameter "pTXID=xxx" which I strongly suspect is some sort of session or transaction ID. If so, it will timeout after a while and you'll just get to the site home page.

A guaranteed way of finding the signal is to go to the "Product Types" page (see buttons on left of home page) and click on the link "Ready to use signals (1 products.)"

Nick

1 the post referred to has since been removed

Edited by buffalo

See my comment no 338 here http://www.rmweb.co....325#entry725126 where I've listed a very simple alteration that makes them perfectly usable.

Andi

In this thread there are the odd useful bits of information, such as Andi's above.

A MERG member (on the MERG forums) has come up with an alternative method for fitting to DCC accessory decoders which deliver a pulse (typically for solenoid motors such as Peco or Seep). The earlier thread entries suggested a relay, which does work, but at modest cost for the relay. Like using a relay, this method does not invalidate the Dapol warranty by opening the signal, the electronics is simply closing the two switch contact wires, exactly as if wired for manual push button operation.

The alternative to a relay is an Opto-Isolator (also known as a "photo coupler"), which is a solid state device costing around 20p. Wire the Opto-Isolator and a 1kOhm resistor in series to the accessory decoder's outputs ( the resistor is important, the Opto-Isolator contains a couple of LEDs inside the package, and the resistor is needed to control the current in the LEDs, just like using LEDs for loco lights!).

The other two pins of the Opto-Isolator then connect to the control wires on the Dapol signal.

When the accessory decoder is operated (for a brief pulse, as set for operating solenoid motors), the Opto-Isolator "closes" the contacts on the signal, and thus moves the signal arm.

One suggested Opto-Isolator is a KB814, available from MERG (for its members) or from Rapid Electronics (mail order), and no doubt numerous other electronics suppliers. Ebay may be the cheapest place if just wanting one or two, rather than the fairly high minimum order and post charges from most commercial electronics suppliers.

Note, the Opto-Isolator solution does NOT fix the lack of deterministic movement in the Dapol signal; only a redesign by Dapol or opening the case and modifiying the circuit (as Andi suggested in the link above) will fix that design mistake.

- Nigel

Hi all

I'm building an early 1960s BR(SR) Branchline and I'm going to use the SR version when it appears. Its DCC and I'm wondering if I can use the AC output from my Lenz transformer to power the signals. It says 15 VAC on the transformer but according to my multi-meter it produces 16.8 VAC. Is this voltage OK to use with the signals?

TIA

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all

I'm building an early 1960s BR(SR) Branchline and I'm going to use the SR version when it appears. Its DCC and I'm wondering if I can use the AC output from my Lenz transformer to power the signals. It says 15 VAC on the transformer but according to my multi-meter it produces 16.8 VAC. Is this voltage OK to use with the signals?

TIA

I have searched throught this topic to see if i can run a bus from the power supply (16v ac) and then put droppers on, would some kind person please advise if this is ok to do. I cant seem to find anything.

In both these cases, it might be worth either PMing Dapol Dave, or contacting Dapol.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

I have searched throught this topic to see if i can run a bus from the power supply (16v ac) and then put droppers on, would some kind person please advise if this is ok to do. I cant seem to find anything.

The instructions say use a 16v ac power supply for the signal (and emphasise NOT 12v dc).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks stationmaster thats what i have done but only one signal in situ at the moment , if i run a bus round can i put all further signals on and conect with droppers.

I would presume so because (the LED apart) the signal will only be consuming power when it is motoring one way or the other and on most layouts it is highly unlikely that more than one signal, maybe two at a push, is likely to be motoring at any one time.

Edited by The Stationmaster

I don't think that's been mentioned on here before. According to the review in NGS Journal the mechanism would protrude slightly below a 2x1 frame (depending also on thickness of the top). This could also lead to damage if used with a non-permanent layout having similar frames.

• Like 1