Dapol working signals review

Andy Y

has anyone had an issue of the signal changing by itself , over and over again between on and off with about 5 seconds between each move?

I have disconnected the push button switch so there is just the power supply connected and the signal just cycles continuously. If I time it right , it will respond to the instruction to change but then just keep on going

• 3 weeks later...

We have two of the LMS home signals on Kirkmellington and very nice they look too.

Sadly at our first show, RISEX, one of the signals gave up during final set up having been used less than 5 times. It is now on its way back to the retailer for exchange. The other signal worked perfectly throughout the show and gave us an added dimension to the operation of the layout.

• 2 months later...

I've just had a failure of one of these too - the signal has been switch about 10 times only and connected to power for maybe a couple of hours max. The LED is on, but very dim and the motor does not respond.

I presume something on the power circuitry has gone - it'll get sent back.

Cheers,
Alan

has anyone had an issue of the signal changing by itself , over and over again between on and off with about 5 seconds between each move?

I have disconnected the push button switch so there is just the power supply connected and the signal just cycles continuously. If I time it right , it will respond to the instruction to change but then just keep on going

I have had this kind of problem, but much more random times between switching.  I disconnected and reconnected all the wires allowing the wires from  the signal to hang as freely as possible without being tangled. . There was some strain on them before. This appeared to cure the problem and it has not happened for a long time. I have no idea why.  This signal also had the problem of the arm not moving  when the motor acts ,which was cured by flicking the arm as recommended by Dapol Dave. I have bought 3 signals since, which are much smoother and quieter than the problem one and have worked without trouble.  Maybe it was a rogue example or later batches are a better build. They are all  00 GW type. .    

• 7 months later...

I installed  a  couple  of  Dapol (4mm) signals  yesterday,  and  I  am  quite  impressed  with  them,  the  only  thing  I find a little negative  is  the  sound from the motor when they  work, however  I suppose  it  is  inevitable this will occur, I would  imagine  that  with  other  ' layout noise' in the  background it  wont  be  as  noticeable.

Unusually  for  me  I  wired  them analogue control ( push buttons) rather  than digitally,  this  is  just  my  personal preference  as I find  that  it  is   sometimes  better  to keep  the  signal man's  job  seperate from  the  loco crew!!

• Like 6

Yeah had the same problem with 2 signals on our layout, gave up with them in the end.

E

• 2 weeks later...

HI there - does anyone have any idea what the bracket signals will look like? I take it that there will be 2 home signals on one central pole for the BR version. Or will they be 'handed' as with the GWR version previously shown? My friend asked at Warley and Dapol said that they would be 'early next year'

HI there - does anyone have any idea what the bracket signals will look like? I take it that there will be 2 home signals on one central pole for the BR version. Or will they be 'handed' as with the GWR version previously shown? My friend asked at Warley and Dapol said that they would be 'early next year'

That's what they said last year...

Just  noticed  this  thread  again!  I commented on  the  noise  aspect  previously,  I have managed  to  reduce  this  quite  dramatically with  my  3,  simply  take  a  strip of  bubble wrap

approx 1.5"  wide  ( ie  the length of  the  motor  housing  under  the  baseboard) and  approx 10 to 12"  long,  wrap this  around  the  motor  housing  and  secure  with  sellotape, Job Done!

This  does  not  have  any  adverse  effect on the  signal  working,  and  it  obviously wont  cause overheating  as  the  motor  only  runs  for  a  short  time  & intemittently

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have bought some 00 gauge lower quadrant signals & none of them work. The lights work fine & I've opened them up & tested the motors, they work fine. I've tried that tapping thing but that doesn't work. Any ideas on how to fix them please

If yhou have opened up the mechanism I doubt that you can now take them back.

I suspect that they are the same mech as the N scale ones in which case you have to make sure that the screw bit of the mechanism is engaged a touch when you reassemble them (the tapping is what gets them engaged again but htey may be too fare dis-engaged for that to work). It took me a while to work that out when I cut the signal posts down to do the two new starters on Banbury. One however still doesnt work due to getting the activating rod too long when cutting it down.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

At the Warley show in November, I was told by the Dapol guy that the bracket signals would be out in early 2015. It's now nearly May so does anyone know what's happening?

I would say that they are working to standard manufactures times scales then, you know the ones based in fantasy land.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just spotted on Dapols Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1022308497786898.1073741855.214563285228094&type=1

CAD Images of the Southern lattice Signals 'In tooling now, Expected Late Summer'

EDIT: and the Rail Built Ones: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1022309361120145.1073741856.214563285228094&type=3

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

These images are on Model Railway Express this morning, where it mentions 'SR and LNER signals' - I wonder whether there will be other models which will more accurately represent LNER signals, or are they suggesting that the SR lattice post signal also represents an LNER signal?  For SR signals, they do appear to be nicely detailed models.

• RMweb Gold

Same as the Ratio 486 signal kit I assume, sold as LNER but stated as "also suitable for SR (LBSCR)": http://www.fishpond.com/Toys/Ratio-486-LNER-Latticed-Post-Signal-Kit-Ratio/5050881330609

Weird - the Brighton made very little use of lattice posts.  The SR constituent which was most fond of them, by a very big margin, was the L&SWR.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Isn't that the same prototype bracket signal that was shown two or three years back?

Yes, and with a stop signal on one doll and distant on the other it doesn't inspire confidence.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, and with a stop signal on one doll and distant on the other it doesn't inspire confidence.

Which could lead to two very worrying situations - the first being that they might make some like that.  

The second is even more worrying - someone might buy them :O  :scratchhead: