Dapol working signals review

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

If you are planning on having more than two signals the Signalist SC1+DP8 combination will save you money, and it can power the Dapol signals from the track supply to make wiring easier.

That does look like a good option. I presume that the two yellow wires from the Dapol signal go to the board and it can be configured to provide the pulse that these signals require and other outputs can be configured to work colour lights signals or would the colour lights need to be off a different circuit board?

Banbury has a mixture of signals.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

I have had a play with an SC1 + DP8 and it is possible to configure the SC1 + DP8 combination for four signals with any mix of 2-aspect colour lights and Dapol semaphores with a bit of imaginative wiring.

The SC1 keeps track of the synchronisation well and queues up commands if you send them too quickly for the mechanism. Synchronisation is maintained even during power off and a synch button is provided for emergencies. All the Dapol signal wiring goes to the DP8 adaptor where it provides the pulse on the yellow wires and the power too if you don't have 16V AC available (can be derived from the track or DC).

I have been looking out for these Dapol GWR round post signals and didn't realise they had been released.

Looking at pictures of these signals on the websites of online retailers it looks like the posts are shorter than in the GWR square post signals. Can anyone confirm if this is true please? I couldn't find the dimensions anywhere. They look more like starter signals as seen at the end of platforms.

Douglas

I have been looking out for these Dapol GWR round post signals and didn't realise they had been released.

Looking at pictures of these signals on the websites of online retailers it looks like the posts are shorter than in the GWR square post signals. Can anyone confirm if this is true please? I couldn't find the dimensions anywhere. They look more like starter signals as seen at the end of platforms.

Douglas

Check that you aren't looking at the N Gauge signals?

Hi Sarah,

It was the N gauge version I was meaning - it looks like the OO version has yet to be released.

While searching around I found a post (pun not intended) on RMWeb where ex-Dapol Dave was asking how tall the GWR round post signals were, and Stationmaster said they could be 17'6" or 12'6".  Maybe Dapol decided to do the shorter length.

Douglas

Edited by Douglas G
  • Like 1

I have seen one of these new N Gauge round post signals... It pains me grately to say that I too think they look too short, so I'm sticking with timber post jobbies. They might of been 12'.6 when sitting on a platform or something, but all the shots I've seen/own, have the signal post towering over the train, so the 17' 1/2 post sounds like it would of been a better option really...

I'm still hanging on for these GWR bracket signals anyway, still no news on those? Left or right hands etc?

Cheers.

I have seen one of these new N Gauge round post signals... It pains me grately to say that I too think they look too short, so I'm sticking with timber post jobbies. They might of been 12'.6 when sitting on a platform or something, but all the shots I've seen/own, have the signal post towering over the train, so the 17' 1/2 post sounds like it would of been a better option really...

I'm still hanging on for these GWR bracket signals anyway, still no news on those? Left or right hands etc?

Cheers.

Ironically, for my prototype of Dulverton I need a tall round post signal and also some short square post signals as starter signals...But I do also have a use for several of the tall square post signals, which I like very much.

I am wondering if I dare risk wasting £22 pounds or whatever in trying to shorten or replace the posts. I am guessing the main issue is going to be the wires for the lamp, which pass up the inside of the posts. I have even wondered if I could sand a square post to turn it into a round post.

Douglas

Edited by Douglas G

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the mechanism on the short round post signal I reckon that you can shorten a taller square post one as the operating wire is external above track level. The short round post is spot on for one of the signals I need to do but I do need some taller ones so might have to round off a square post one or even replace the post with brass rod/ tube between track level and just under the lamp bracket etc.

• RMweb Gold

I have had a closer look at the signal this evening. I reckon that the signal arm could be replaced but it would need a thick material around the pivot point to be reliable enough.

I have filed the end bottom and spectacle plate down a bit. It's still Too big but does look better. It could be filed down more but I didn't want to risk breaking it. Will post more on the Banbury topic

Ian

I have been looking at ways to shorten the square post GWR signal, and I think the easiest way might be to leave the post intact and to raise the ground level up with plastic sheet, wood or similar above the existing base and motor.  There would have to be a slot made to accommodate the signal operating rod. Shortening the ladder would be the easy part.

Douglas

• 1 month later...

Tonight I filed the post of a square post N scale lower quadrant signal to a round post. It seams to have gone will.

See the photo that I posted on the Banbury thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50172-banbury-in-n-scale/?p=1290250

That looks really good, and it is good to know it can be done.  It is such a risk to try with a signal costing over £20.

Douglas

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys

Apologies, but I have only scanned the topic.... I thought ages ago that Dapol (in the time of Dave possibly) spoke about bracket signals.

I've just been on their website and can not see any mention of them, did I imagine this?

• 2 weeks later...

Had anyone experienced any failure with the Dapol signals? Like not working after a few hours of low usage?

The only thing I can remember hearing about in this thread was the signal arm not moving and advice being given that flicking a part of the mechanism helped it to unstick.  It's somewhere in the previous 20 pages.

Had anyone experienced any failure with the Dapol signals? Like not working after a few hours of low usage?

Funnily enough my 'n' gauge home signal (LMS) has just become stuck - and nowt will make it work.

I can here it clicking in response to pressing the button...

Its lit up but no longer much fun...

I have hardly used it - probably less than 50 or so cycles.

Is there a cure other than buying a new one?

Edited by Bill

Funnily enough my 'n' gauge home signal (LMS) has just become stuck - and nowt will make it work.

I can here it clicking in response to pressing the button...

Its lit up but no longer much fun...

I have hardly used it - probably less than 50 or so cycles.

Is there a cure other than buying a new one?

Found DJMDave's post from 14th February 2013 that might be useful:

"Here's a little tip that's 85% successful in the customers I tell it to.

It maybe that the gear has gone a little too far on the worm meaning that the motor operates but the signal doesn't.

Try operating the signal as normal via the switch. At the same time flick (yes flick) the top or bottom of the signal, depending on which way the arm will go if properly operating. Strangely enough this should re engage the gear with the arm, although you might have to flick a couple of times for success.

If that doesn't work it's back to the place of purchase for replacement.

Fingers crossed

Cheers

Dave"

Edited by BR(S)

Thanks - that worked a treat - I just pushed the signal arm (sort of gently) up and it re-engaged - works a treat now - well sort of!

To explain the 'sort of' for the curious...

This is an LMS style N gauge home signal on an LNER wartime layout..

Push the button and the arm now goes from horizontal to up but the motor keeps making a noise.

A quick tickle of the button and it stops making a noise. 

The arm then stays up until the button is pressed a third time and down it comes - (just like the real thing...) 

So it is now functioning, but in its own idiosyncratic way...

As long as it keeps functioning, that is just dandy...

• RMweb Gold

Try changing the push button and see if that makes a difference. If it's the small cheap push button similar to those That I use for turnouts on non DCC layouts then they are prone to failure.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Thanks - that worked a treat - I just pushed the signal arm (sort of gently) up and it re-engaged - works a treat now - well sort of!

To explain the 'sort of' for the curious...

This is an LMS style N gauge home signal on an LNER wartime layout..

Push the button and the arm now goes from horizontal to up but the motor keeps making a noise.

I've found that the first time I use the signals, after switching the layout on, the motor keeps making a noise in both the up and down positions for a while, with the arm waggling, but on the second go it's all right. This happens every time if I haven't operated the signal for a day or two. Throughout the operating session, it seems to work properly although I've a feeling the motor is noisier than when I first installed the signal.