Dapol working signals review

Andy Y

Hi everyone,

Just finalising the GWR round post signals in N and OO, and have had a brain F**t :scared: , silver or white finish posts? or both?

cheers

Dave

Further to Dave's query, I have looked through my Ian Allan colour albums and while most GWR round post signals seem to have been painted aluminium/silver, there were quite a lot painted in white in the late 1950s and 1960s when the pictures were mostly taken.  This includes one of the main platform starter signals at Dulverton in 1962, which is my particular interest.  So it is worth doing some in both colours, I would say.

Douglas

Referencing white or silver painted post. White was tried as a typical money reducer, but they soon showed to be a poor choice as the pigment broke down quickley and the post started to rust.

Alluminium oxide paint was re-introduced and is still used today.

• 2 weeks later...

I have wired my signals as instructed. the lights illuminate ok but the signal arms don't move when the switches are flicked. I have on-off-on (centre off) spring loaded toggle switches fitted. Is it the switches at fault?

Hi loco fan,

No it may not.

Here's a little tip that's 85% successful in the customers I tell it to.

It maybe that the gear has gone a little too far on the worm meaning that the motor operates but the signal doesn't.

Try operating the signal as normal via the switch. At the same time flick (yes flick) the top or bottom of the signal, depending on which way the arm will go if properly operating. Strangely enough this should re engage the gear with the arm, although you might have to flick a couple of times for success.

If that doesn't work it's back to the place of purchase for replacement.

Fingers crossed

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Guest oldlugger

Am I right in believing that UQ signal arms from the LMS, or complete LMS pattern signals were found on parts of the Southern Railway or later southern region? I'm sure I've seen photos of them, especially around the London area. If this is the case, why did it happen?

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Am I right in believing that UQ signal arms from the LMS, or complete LMS pattern signals were found on parts of the Southern Railway or later southern region? I'm sure I've seen photos of them, especially around the London area. If this is the case, why did it happen?

Simon

Basically 'yes' but technically they were - as far as I can tell - so called 'BR Standard' components as used on the LMR and other Regions so whether they were exactly the same as latter day LMS parts is something I'm not so sure about.  The other thing is the question of dates - I have  some pics of such a signal on the Southern (as was by then) in the early 1990s but I don't know when it was installed and I think it was in any case unique on that section of line.  I have always presumed that such signals were used by the Southern Region once their supplies of their own kit ran out - i.e. once they had no more rail built posts left in stock or had lost to 'rationalisation' the facility to make them.  Again that would suggest to me that the use of foreign posts and fittings would be fairly late in the date - ?post 1980s but I can't definitely date it.

As far as arms are concerned the running signal arms were standard for UQ signals and while there might possibly have been different manufacturers/stores number marks on them they were otherwise identical when it came to the flush front later design.  It is possible that the corrugated arms varied between the grouped Companies but I really don't know any more than that about them.  While they appear to have no longer been used in new work from a relatively early date on the Midland and Eastern etc Regions the Southern seem to have still been installing them later - maybe into the 1950s or later?  And they definitely had stocks of spares, I even came across a couple in the (WR S&T factory) stores at Reading c.1983/4 in brand spanking new condition and presumably taken into stock when a former Southern Signal Dept stores in the south-west had been taken over.

• Like 2

Guest oldlugger

Many thanks Mike for this information; most interesting. I don't suppose you could post the photo that you refer to, on here? I have seen LM type signals on the eastern side of Newport station (after the line crosses the river).

All the best

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Mike for this information; most interesting. I don't suppose you could post the photo that you refer to, on here? I have seen LM type signals on the eastern side of Newport station (after the line crosses the river).

All the best

Simon

I will try to delve out the pics Simon (only about a thousand to go through so not too bad to find them).  

If the Newport you are referring to is the one in South Wales you are no doubt on about the signals at East Usk where some passing signal engineering supervisor allegedly decided the existing arm fittings were in poor condition and duly replaced the proper Western lower quadrants with some upper quadrant tat which looks fairly out of place on Reading designed and built posts and bracket structures instead of getting hold of new parts to replace any considered to be life expired (quite how they'd become 'life expired' when they were well under 40 years old beats me but maybe there was something in the air from the nearby steelworks?).

• 4 weeks later...

I sure hope so - I'd be in the market for GNR somersault and LNER lattice type signals. It's the previous comment from Dapol Dave about lattice signals that stopped me getting some midland region ones

Simon

I think it's more the case that the LMS used the Westinghouse standard UQ arm and parts and this was also used by SR and LNER. 

Edited by asmay2002

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I take it from the lack of replys to this post that it's a no.

Southern Signals - both lattice and ladder - now showing on pre-order at Hatton's.

http://www.ehattons.com/62573/Dapol_4L_003_001_SR_lattice_signal_home/StockDetail.aspx

http://www.ehattons.com/62579/Dapol_4L_003_003_SR_ladder_signal_home/StockDetail.aspx

Any news on the junction signals?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Tearing my hair out here.....My PC is sooo slow that wading through this thread is a nightmare. So did anyone post pictures of the 4mm signals?

EDIT :- Just looked up Hattons and the 4mm scale GWR signals are pre-order.   Wow, it seems ages since they were announced and still nothing to buy.

Edited by coachmann

As a BR(LMR) 00 gauge modeller I am most impressed with these Dapol signals. On my layout I have a section signal (a home arm mounted above a distant arm). Can someone give me an idea how difficult it would be to replicate this signal using a single arm distant and single arm home (or are Dapol going to make one)? I appreciate that one of the operating mechanisms would have to be mounted separately to the post and linked by a connecting rod. That would be the easy part! Would it be too difficult to fit the LED and wires?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone wired up these signals using a Peco PL26 point lever, and if so, can you advise how.

Regards,

Brian

Yes. One yellow wire to the centre contact, the other yellow wire to both of the remaining contacts. Due to the construction of the Peco switch (passing contact effected on one side only  at a time for each throw), when the Peco switch is thrown, the contact is made once, hence changing the Dapol signal to "off". Throwing the Peco lever back makes one contact again, hence returning the signal to "on". I have found that throwing the Peco switch needs to be done slowly.

(another) Brian

• 1 month later...

Hi loco fan,

No it may not.

Here's a little tip that's 85% successful in the customers I tell it to.

It maybe that the gear has gone a little too far on the worm meaning that the motor operates but the signal doesn't.

Try operating the signal as normal via the switch. At the same time flick (yes flick) the top or bottom of the signal, depending on which way the arm will go if properly operating. Strangely enough this should re engage the gear with the arm, although you might have to flick a couple of times for success.

If that doesn't work it's back to the place of purchase for replacement.

Fingers crossed

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for this Davel, installed two "homes" this afternoon, both worked fine, then after a few changes, the motor turned but the arm didn't move on one of them. A few "flicks" seem to have done the trick. Fingers crossed this isn't a regular occurrence! :)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

At the weekend I picked up a lower quadrant round post N scale signal.

It has now been offered up to the boards on Banbury (2" x 1" timber frame and 12mm chipboard top) and it just fits in the depth of the boards so will get installed fairly soon. I ma now considering using the Traintech accessory decoder they do to control these Dapol signals.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse