Bachmann announce L&Y 2-4-2T

Andy Y

Rivets varied. Bunkers tended to rot and were given new platework, sometimes with pop head rivets and sometimes countersunk in which case they didnt show. The preserved L&Y version wouldn't have visible rivets so maybe this will be reflected on all the variants...?  Rivets is where the after-market people used to jump in with thin etched overlays, although it is not as prevalent there days. The problem is if one etches overlays on a thin brass such as 8thou, the rivets wlll be 4thou and hardly visible unless they are done slightly overscale. I have 'Perseverance' etches on my Fowler 2-6-4T and they barely show. Another problem is the Evostick has dried out over the years and the different expansion rates of brass and plastic has led the etches to come unstuck.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The fact that we are to get a plastic RTR Lancashire & Yorkshire 2-4-2T is quite amazing in itself. This loco is a gamble and if it turns out to sell like the proverbial hot cakes then I am sure Bachmann will be looking to produce another variant. In this regard sales must have to be pretty high as it is worth noting that apart from a GWR variant, the GCR/LNER 04 2-8-0 has not been expanded on into more LNER/BR variants as yet.

The L&Y tank is about as wide-of-scheme for any of my usual activities as it's possible to get - but I've pre-ordered one anyway! 

John

I ordered my model on Thursday, thanks for the heads up.

However, having 'Registered an Interest' for one of these on the Locomotion site a few months ago, I actually found out from this topic that I could pre-order the model a few days back. I've received nothing from Locomotion Models to tell me the model was now available to order.

What was the point of registering an interest if they weren't going to bother telling you when they wanted your money?

And the page where you fill in all your contact details on their site still isn't encrypted, even if the payment page is. Please see post 140 onwards in this topic. This needs to be dealt with properly.

I'm sure the model will be superb, but if I'm paying a premium for it, I'd expect the retailer to be a little more on the ball than they seem to be at the moment.

• RMweb Gold

However, having 'Registered an Interest' for one of these on the Locomotion site a few months ago, I actually found out from this topic that I could pre-order the model a few days back. I've received nothing from Locomotion Models to tell me the model was now available to order.

What was the point of registering an interest if they weren't going to bother telling you when they wanted your money?

And the page where you fill in all your contact details on their site still isn't encrypted, even if the payment page is. Please see post 140 onwards in this topic. This needs to be dealt with properly.

I'm sure the model will be superb, but if I'm paying a premium for it, I'd expect the retailer to be a little more on the ball than they seem to be at the moment.

If you are seriously concerned,you should contact Locomotion directly.They will respond....they DO read this forum.....and are sensitive to criticism of a constructive nature.This is not a large outfit and what it does,it does well.Yes,I did read your previous postings on the subject. You might,of course,consider a telephone order.

• RMweb Gold

....and by coincidence,I have only just received a flyer from Locomotion,by e-mail,about the L & Y tank.....£95+p&p....card debited with order.....mmm.....tempting but then,so much is atm.I can see all the new releases arriving in a cluster.BUT if this one goes the same way as the Wainwrght 'C' last year......who knows ?

Edited by Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

....and by coincidence,I have only just received a flyer from Locomotion,by e-mail,about the L & Y tank.....£95+p&p....card debited with order.....mmm.....tempting but then,so much is atm.I can see al the new releases arriving in a cluster.BUT if this one goes the same way as the Wainwrght 'C' last year......who knows ?

s'not fair, I haven't received my letter yet (and I usually seem to get one from them nowadays - maybe I should have bought a Deltic after all?)

And yes Ian, I fear they will all come in a lump, a bl**dy expensive lump - ah well there's still time to get the printing press rolling  :jester: 

• RMweb Gold

I have a gut feeling that this e-mail arrived because somebody on this forum complained yesterday that it was up on Locomotion's website......and that they knew nothing about it as a recent customer ( as is yours truly ----Deltic and Prince William )

Now for a wrestle with my conscience. The model is.of course,going to be a stunner....in a more restrained way than the 'C'.Black is beautiful too..especially lined...and it's pre-grouping,again.Suitable rolling stock,anyone......? The word 'investment' springs to the front of my mind ....not the e-bay,fast-buck,variety.

Then there is the accounting of what's promised to consider......Star,10000,J 11, DOG...rumours abound of Collectors Club GC-liveried J11,then Cock of the North.....as Semele sings.... 'Endless Pleasure' ...apologies to the late George Frederick. ps...totally forgot Dukedog!

Insolvency looms.. The Great Train Robbery ?

• RMweb Gold

I have a gut feeling that this e-mail arrived because somebody on this forum complained yesterday that it was up on Locomotion's website......and that they knew nothing about it as a recent customer ( as is yours truly ----Deltic and Prince William )

Now for a wrestle with my conscience. The model is.of course,going to be a stunner....in a more restrained way than the 'C'.Black is beautiful too..especially lined...and it's pre-grouping,again.Suitable rolling stock,anyone......? The word 'investment' springs to the front of my mind ....not the e-bay,fast-buck,variety.

Then there is the accounting of what's promised to consider......Star,10000,J 11, DOG...rumours abound of Collectors Club GC-liveried J11,then Cock of the North.....as Semele sings.... 'Endless Pleasure' ...apologies to the late George Frederick. ps...totally forgot Dukedog!

Insolvency looms.. The Great Train Robbery ?

I must admit to 'collcecting' the NRM locos although I've only gone for one issue of the 'Deltic' (but both Truros of course!) and they, or some of them, can be used for 'railtours'  But what I'm also doing is gradually putting together a suitable train of P.O. wagons to go with the GC 8K when I find any going cheap(ish) although it's going to need a brakevan one day.  Thus the L&Y 2-4-2T will fit in with my hobby as would a GC liveried J11.  The ;Star' is an obvious one for me of course and I could do a bit of history bending for railtour purposes with that (very fictional indeed of course).

But fortunately many other forthcoming offerings don't interest me at all so no 'Duke', no 'Cock Of The North', no 10000 and so on - I'm saving up for all those yet to be announced (if they ever are??) Western tank engines  :jester:  (and some suitable coaching stock!!!!)

• Like 1

Regarding L&Y coaches, there are a few etched brass kits around but I would say one needs a little experience, as some of the brake ended vehicles with tapered-in sides are tricky to say the least. Then of course one needs to be something of a painter to tackle L&Y tan & plum unless going for a simplified version of the livery. Memory is vague but I think there are Methfix transfers available, or were.

Another option that would produce coaches of roughly L&Y outline and windows would be to build BSL/Phoenix aluminium LSWR 'Ironcad' corridor coaches. These can be asembled using Evostik.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Thanks,Larry......this weak-willed mortal has just relieved Locomotion of one less Aspinall. This does look to be a very special model. So,Mike,something 's got to give from the 'list'. Maybe trundling an L& Y brakevan....hmm.. Wait for that Bachmann  GW auto train,then,Mike. Hope operation tank is going well..cheers....Ian The Weak-Willed !

Regarding L&Y coaches, there are a few etched brass kits around but I would say one needs a little experience, as some of the brake ended vehicles with tapered-in sides are tricky to say the least. Then of course one needs to be something of a painter to tackle L&Y tan & plum unless going for a simplified version of the livery. Memory is vague but I think there are Methfix transfers available, or were.

Another option that would produce coaches of roughly L&Y outline and windows would be to build BSL/Phoenix aluminium LSWR 'Ironcad' corridor coaches. These can be asembled using Evostik.

There are several bogie coach kits available from Wizard Models/MSE and six wheel coach kits from London Road Models.

At the risk of saying the wrong thing, this means making models from kits, something in which many of the "one off" RTR model buyers probably aren't interested.

Jol

Guest spet0114

I must admit to 'collcecting' the NRM locos...

Just for once Mike, we agree on something!  My little collection has swelled somewhat this summer with a DP1, Prince William and now a L+Y tank. However, rather than attempt to find matching stock for each, as each new one is announced, the temptation to create a model version of the NRM grows and grows. I've even gotten as far as sketching out a track plan of the great hall.....

Incidentally, we know that the NRM exclusives generate money for the NRM, but both Bachmann (G2a, 63601, 92220) and Hornby (M7, 4472, 2BIL) have 'NRM Heritage' type ranges which are not exclusive. Does anyone know if the NRM gets any cash when one of these is purchased?

Cheers

Adrian

Edited by spet0114

• RMweb Gold

Thanks,Larry......this weak-willed mortal has just relieved Locomotion of one less Aspinall. This does look to be a very special model. So,Mike,something 's got to give from the 'list'. Maybe trundling an L& Y brakevan....hmm.. Wait for that Bachmann  GW auto train,then,Mike. Hope operation tank is going well..cheers....Ian The Weak-Willed !

D*mmit, just missed them today - my note from the NRM was waiting when I got back from the Didcot show - so I'll be on the 'phone to them next opportunity.   This is another one that could stretch credulity a little to appear on specials (a Coal Tank would be even better if you're listening Mr Bachmann) but as for L&Y coaches I believe some (dunno what sort) might have been in use in South Wales in the post-war/early nationalised period and they would I think be more useful to me than anything in earlier livery.

Just for once Mike, we agree on something!  My little collection has swelled somewhat this summer with a DP1, Prince William and now a L+Y tank. However, rather than attempt to find matching stock for each, as each new one is announced, the temptation to create a model version of the NRM grows and grows. I've even gotten as far as sketching out a track plan of the great hall.....

Incidentally, we know that the NRM exclusives generate money for the NRM, but both Bachmann (G2a, 63601, 92220) and Hornby (M7, 4472, 2BIL) have 'NRM Heritage' type ranges which are not exclusive. Does anyone know if the NRM gets any cash when one of these is purchased?

Cheers

Adrian

I think they might Ian but more as a sort of licence fee for the use of their name.  With the Bachmann 'specials' the arrangement is different as the NRM has paid for the development in some cases and has exclusive rights  (but not on all) or has a limited period agreement before Bachmann can use the model although this has changed a bit with more recent offerings with the variants issued alongside the main Bachmann output.  However it is interesting that Bachmann are still happy to do runs of 500 for the NRM which suggests a close commercial relationship.

• RMweb Gold

Mike.....you are really on the money here...A Webb coal tank...oh yes,please. Abergavenny to Dowlais Top......banking duties at Abercynon (mid 50's),Tredegar,Swansea Valley. Antique little gems !

By the way,you CAN order the Aspinall from the Locomotion website .I did this morning..L& Y in S.Wales ? Miners trains....perhaps.Pigeon lofts...maybe. I remember there was a beautiful L& Y layout at this year's Derby Show.

• RMweb Gold

Mike.....you are really on the money here...A Webb coal tank...oh yes,please. Abergavenny to Dowlais Top......banking duties at Abercynon (mid 50's),Tredegar,Swansea Valley. Antique little gems !

By the way,you CAN order the Aspinall from the Locomotion website .I did this morning..L& Y in S.Wales ? Miners trains....perhaps.Pigeon lofts...maybe. I remember there was a beautiful L& Y layout at this year's Derby Show.

I understand from someone who lived in the area at the time that an ex L&Y vehicle, or vehicles, was used on local services around the Tredegar/Brynmawr area with the newly arrived Ivatt 'Mickey Mouse' Class 2 tank engines.  The latter survived in the area until late 1959 although by then I think they had been totally supplanted from passenger work by the arrival of Western engines and autocoaches, various.

Thanks for the tip re the website although I'm very wary of it having had enormous problems with the NRM York site in the past - I've finished up every time having to order on the 'phone :O 

• RMweb Gold

I have used the website twice this year with no glitch whatsoever...remember this is 'Locomotion' and not the main NRM website

Miners ....or properly 'workmen's trains' nearly always ran carriage stock for their exclusive use..so ex-L&Y stock MIGHT have ended their days here. In any case,there's no one around now to contradict,is there?

For any photographic evidence I think you would need to look at Sid Rickards  photo albums....for the 50's at any rate. Google 'Locomotion Models'for what you need. modelwise.

• RMweb Gold

A useful resource.....www.lyrs.org.uk. Apparently,there is a restored 6-wheeler at work on the K&WVR. Passed Keighley on my Duchess 'jolly' last Sat.,too.Need to visit Saltaire....idea forming for a culture/rail research excursion/short break. They have a 'Coal Tank' weekend this weekend,too!

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 1

Some L&Y coaches were certainly used on the Abergaveny Merthyr line, and they could have remained in  S. Wales after the A&M closed. There were also a few 51' Gresleys around at the time.

Abergavenny to Merthyr - Middleton Press has photos of the L&Y coaches in use.