Bachmann announce L&Y 2-4-2T

Andy Y

I think it is great news for Locomotion models. The recent runs of models have all sold out in short periods. It shows that they are making great choices when selecting and commissioning models with Bachmann.  Most importantly making money to keep the museum going in times where funding is being cut. I personally missed out on the L&Y model, hesitated as it did not fit the era on my layout. Regretting it now! I tend to snap up limited editions as an investment for my two children.

I think the moral of the story is that there is always people out there looking to earn a living. If you want a model then get in quick! Thats two I have missed in the last 6 months. In terms of future models can we have a Q7? Another one from the National Collection and I'm sure will be a popular model.

To those who say wheeler-dealer's don't bother them, then that's your business. But let me put some perspective on this. Back in the 1970s an individual phoned to say he had acquired a Fulgurex brass 'King' that carried my signature and a number. He went on to say some of the lining hadn't been applied. I told him he hadn't commisioned the model but he said he could ruin my business reputation if I didn't rectify matters. A quick check told me the loco had been given postwar lining with none on the running plate angle and cylinders, which he wouldn't know about, but by this time I was itching to smack him. The people who live off the backs of those who toil thrive only because we let them. 

Edited by coachmann

To those who say wheeler-dealer's don't bother them, then that's your business. But let me put some perspective on this. Back in the 1970s an individual phoned to say he had acquired a Fulgurex brass 'King' that carried my signature and a number. He went on to say some of the lining hadn't been applied. I told him he hadn't commisioned the model but he said he could ruin my business reputation if I didn't rectify matters. A quick check told me the loco had been given postwar lining with none on the running plate angle and cylinders, which he wouldn't know about, but by this time I was itching to smack him. The people who live off the backs of those who toil thrive only because we let them. 

Of course if the only way I could get the NRM 2-4-2T was via eBay at an inflated price compared to that charged to those who were able and willing to make an advanced order, I would be miffed but that clearly wasn't the case.  No one is insisting that anyone must pay the price asked and almost certainly if it doesn't sell at that price it will come back at a lower one.  On the other hand, if it sells and someone else has one to sell, don't be surprised if the next one is priced even higher.  It's all a question of how much it is worth to the purchaser at the point of purchase.  In that sense, it isn't any different from any other purchase.

That said, what you describe in your post, Coach, is a long way from profit-making on eBay and genuinely to be abhorred.

Stan

• Like 1

Gave mine a test run at the club layout tonight, ran very nicely without any oscillating. 

Not going on eBay, it will stand next to my early BR version which is on pre-order.

Just taking advantage of r-t-r L & Y locos while I can

Going right back to the beginning of this thread, Belpaire 2-4-2Ts were illustrated. It would be neat if Bachmann were to go on and produce this variant.

Ah but 3D scanning would not be possible with a Belpaire - that would require some pattern making! (or at least cad drawing.)

Tony

I imagine that Bachmann can probably sell enough livery variations of this version to cover their costs and make a profit. Would a belpaire version create as much demand? Probably not. So the extra cost might not create such a good return against investing in another model.

Of course if the only way I could get the NRM 2-4-2T was via eBay at an inflated price compared to that charged to those who were able and willing to make an advanced order, I would be miffed but that clearly wasn't the case.  No one is insisting that anyone must pay the price asked and almost certainly if it doesn't sell at that price it will come back at a lower one.  On the other hand, if it sells and someone else has one to sell, don't be surprised if the next one is priced even higher.  It's all a question of how much it is worth to the purchaser at the point of purchase.  In that sense, it isn't any different from any other purchase.

That said, what you describe in your post, Coach, is a long way from profit-making on eBay and genuinely to be abhorred.

Stan

The posts of 'billbedford' and 'Stanley Melrose' combined offer the most pragmatic and sensible comments on this thread.

While I agree that it's a buyers' market, and the market will bear whatever price people are willing to pay, I object to ebayers simply buying stuff to make a profit, while denying genuine sales. They're parasites and add nothing to the value chain, rather like the financial speculators that brought on the recession.

Unfair to discriminate solely against ebayers. Did anyone notice that everyone's beloved box shifter in Sheffield were recently selling a large number of Modelzone, Model Rail and other recent Bachmann limited editions for triple, even quadruple, the original retail price? Or that everyone's even more beloved box shifter in the Liverpool area were recently selling, among other things, the SECR Wainwright for £250 via their own website?

I assume these retailers bought them in for much less than that with the sole intention of selling them well above the original RRP to make a considerable profit. I would further assume then, that everyone on this forum who continually whines about 'ebay carpetbaggers' will be boycotting these retailers, forfeiting other items that may be heavily discounted from RRP, as a protest at their 'parasitic' behaviour?

Edited by Brighton Belle

• RMweb Gold

Unfair to discriminate solely against ebayers. Did anyone notice that everyone's beloved box shifter in Sheffield were recently selling a large number of Modelzone, Model Rail and other recent Bachmann limited editions for triple, even quadruple, the original retail price? Or that everyone's even more beloved box shifter in the Liverpool area were recently selling, among other things, the SECR Wainwright for £250 via their own website?

I assume these retailers bought them in for much less than that with the sole intention of selling them well above the original RRP to make a considerable profit. I would further assume then, that everyone on this forum who continually whines about 'ebay carpetbaggers' will be boycotting these retailers, forfeiting other items that may be heavily discounted from RRP, as a protest at their 'parasitic' behaviour?

Alas commercial 'logic' works in strange ways its occasional miracles to perform.  Hattons for instance originally had the lined green SECR Class C on sale for less that £1 above the trade price - and probably sold as many to other retailers as they did to end customers, in fact they often sell stuff to other retailers whether or not they realise they are doing it. 

Without Retail price Maintenance a retailer can sell something for whatever he likes, the only control on model railway pricing is any imposed by manufacturers (or, at a subsequent date, the bankruptcy courts) and as long as someone will pay over-inflated prices people will sell at those levels.  Like it or not it's largely a free market and you don't have to buy  if you don't want to.  I have occasionally bought wagon packs from Hattons but that's it - I buy locos from my two 'local retailers and I occasionally buy at auction (which is where some of the names which come up on the Ebay Madness thread also do some buying).

another superheated boiler short bunker, 50777. 

I think if someone did conversion pieces it wouldnt be too difficult to convert, brass cab front with different window pattern, resin firebox top to sit on the existing and a resin smokebox? drawback of a kit is the lining, that way you can keep the lining on the tank sides 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64518788@N05/7262587926/

I saw one of the first L&Y 2-4-2 tanks at Wakefield at the weekend.  One of the L&Y society members had his with him and had personalised it by adding the L&Y lettering onto the tank to change the livery era.  Not had hands on one yet as dad's has been wrapped up so won't see it until 25/12!

All of the NRM locos have sold out.  Just proves that pre-grouping locos can sell.

Currently showing as others in Dec/Jan.