ModelRail USTC 0-6-0 Tank Loco Project USA

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Any update on the spec for this model?

With the transfer to Bachmann, as we going to lose the heavy tungsten chassis in favour of cheapy mazak?

Similarly will the All-wheen direct drive to the motor survive? Experience with the BWT really shows the enhanced stability of running with direct drive rather than relying on (necessarily slack) coupling rods.

I too would like a few answers. Same spec?

I ordered one expecting quite a lot for my money tbh, not quite so sure now.

• RMweb Gold

Model Rail have stated both directly from Ben Jones in conversation and their most recent advert and announcement about the manufacturer switch that the specification would remain the same. I see no reason to doubt this.

• RMweb Gold

Any update on the spec for this model?

With the transfer to Bachmann, as we going to lose the heavy tungsten chassis in favour of cheapy mazak?

Similarly will the All-wheen direct drive to the motor survive? Experience with the BWT really shows the enhanced stability of running with direct drive rather than relying on (necessarily slack) coupling rods.

I would add that at no time did the original advertised specification state the chassis material type or all gear drive. Just because this was on the BWT via a unconnected commission it has never meant the Model Rail commission would be the same style especially as one is an 0-6-0t and one is 2-4-0t.

No it didn't specify gear drive (although the Dapol CADs on the MR Facebook page clearly showed direct drive to the three axles), it DID however specify the chassis material:

Quote from USA Tank Model Rail Offers Page:

"Heavy tungsten chassis for reliable performance and outstanding haulage power"

See for example:

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/product/37892/MR101_MR_Bachmann_USA_060T_Steam_Locomotive_number_4326

Seems an unnecessary expense tbh. Bach's current wiper chassis 0-6-0T's are good to move over sixty SWB wagons on level track, picking up one at a time, thanks to a construction which has them well packed with mazak ballast. A sprung axle aids pick up reliability. I cannot imagine that this performance would disappoint if replicated in this model.

• 11 months later...

Bachmann has now completed the initial CAD drawings for the Model Rail SR 'USA' 0-6-0T. Sample drawings appear in the current issue (MR201) of the magazine. A number of detail amendments are being made but the CADs do show just how good this model is going to be. Pre-orders for all the proposed versions in the first batch have now reached very high levels and anyone wishing to place an order is advised to do so soon in order to avoid disappointment. See ads in magazine and on website. 

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any chance of MR soliciting RMWeb feedback by posting a few Cads? All very well publishing in a magazine but a greater variety and larger, more inspectable images can be made available online.

Also is there an updated specification for the model?

Any chance of MR soliciting RMWeb feedback by posting a few Cads? All very well publishing in a magazine but a greater variety and larger, more inspectable images can be made available online.

Also is there an updated specification for the model?

Seems unlikely.  Don't forget RMWeb is now owned by the publishers of a competing magazine.

• RMweb Premium

I know the HO version from one of the continental manufacturers is a lot more expensive, but having seen one running and seen the detail and felt the weight, the MR version will have to be mighty good.

• 3 months later...

So despite being listed on Ebay as 'OO', this is in fact HO?

I can see a purchaser being a little disappointed when it turns up, the difference in size is apparent even in the pix.

I'll stick with my pre-order thanks!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C

I just noticed this so sent the seller the following question:

Given that Model Rail hasn't released the model as it hasn't yet been manufactured, how can this be sold and described as a Model Rail locomotive?  Is this not the HO scale (not OO scale) Hornby Rivarossi USATC 0-6-0?  IF so, it is not the same scale and will be smaller than other OO gauge locomotives.

I had the following reply:

"OH WELL"

Is there any way to report this to ebay?  I know if I bid on this and it arrived, I'd be annoyed as it would be knowingly selling the item with an incorrect description.   

I asked if the seller would amend the listing, and just had this:

"NO I WILL LET THE WINNING BIDDER JUDGE WHETHER THEY ARE HAPPY WITH THE ITEM"

*sigh*

Thanks for the info, shame there's nothing that can be done.  Given I have a real Model Rail USA Tank on order, I won't be worrying too much!

You'd think that Model Rail could raise an issue as its a misrepresentation of their product, if it was so inclined to do so. But then again we are talking about EBay...

I have contacted the advertiser and requested that this advertisement is taken down with immediate effect. Unfortunately, with a magazine to produce and a small staff it is quite impossible for us to monitor Ebay and RMweb continuously. Much better if someone sees something like this that they contact us direct, rather than posting on RMweb where it maybe a long time before we pick up on the problem.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 2