ModelRail USTC 0-6-0 Tank Loco Project USA

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I think I'm right in saying that the four genuine USA tanks in preservation (as opposed to the two Yugoslavian copies currently at Shillingstone) have carried the following liveries since acquisition from BR:

64 - BR lined Brunswick green; WD grey

65 - KESR green; Southern plain black; BR late crest plain black

70 - KESR green; BR departmental lined malachite green; WD grey

72 - KWVR ochre; BR lined malachite green

I saw one I had not seen pop up on a Facebook group... so I went searching, theres a couple of unseen photos on Model Rail offers page:

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/c/1084/Steam-Locomotives

Indeed so far we have seen on Facebook/MR mag:

USA transport black,

Southern black

BR early crest black

NCB black.

On modelrail offers, 3 additional ones are offered showing painted EPs

KWVR livery (very nice but must control the budget!)

BR departmental Malachite (KESR member though never as preserved)

Late BR crest black

Missing in painted EP form;

BR late crest brunswick (bluebell member)

BR late crest weathered

LMR blue (which i am sure will be a stunner too)

I have ordered the Bluebell (yonks ago - bet i should update my card here), the KESR (yesterday) and LMR (yesterday). And then i rested.....

• RMweb Gold

Excuse my ignorance, but what period did DS237 carry that livery? Is it just a livery it carried in preservation?

November 1963 to 1967, based at Asford Works for internal duties. Source Southampton's quayside steam, Dave Marden

Model Rail Offers website quotes "Available within approximately 28 days" - is this correct, or just a standard quote?

Sorry, that must be a standard quote. It's Chinese New Year, so it will be at least two weeks before production could start and then six weeks on a boat. We're quoting 'the Spring' at present and I would think mid-May is the earliest likely date for arrival in the UK. The post below provides a link to pictures of all the livery samples. Please be aware that some tweaks have been made and some colour shade revisions have been requested to more accurately reflect the reference photos. We will not see further samples before production.  (CJL). 

Edited by dibber25

Painted samples of all models can seen at http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/pg/137/Project-USA-Tank

Useful link

First image of 30064 - the green looks more 'olive' than 'malachite'. Yes archive photos show 30064 in BR (and preservation) days as much darker than DS237 (which certainly IS Malachite), but is the model too olive?

I guess in my mind I was imagining it to look like 30072 in preservation green (which seems to be the same shade as DS237) i.e. very bright

Time to change my pre-order....?

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, that must be a standard quote. It's Chinese New Year, so it will be at least two weeks before production could start and then six weeks on a boat. We're quoting 'the Spring' at present and I would think mid-May is the earliest likely date for arrival in the UK. The post below provides a link to pictures of all the livery samples. Please be aware that some tweaks have been made and some colour shade revisions have been requested to more accurately reflect the reference photos. We will not see further samples before production.  (CJL). 

I've noticed on several occasions that the Kernow/Model Rail offers website will mark pre-orders as available within 28 days. What seems to happen then is that the money is taken from your account when you place the order and, if the item is not due within that period, it is immediately refunded and then taken out again when the item is in stock.

Perhaps somebody from Kernow can clarify?

Edited by papagolfjuliet

• RMweb Gold

Useful link

First image of 30064 - the green looks more 'olive' than 'malachite'. Yes archive photos show 30064 in BR (and preservation) days as much darker than DS237 (which certainly IS Malachite), but is the model too olive?

I guess in my mind I was imagining it to look like 30072 in preservation green (which seems to be the same shade as DS237) i.e. very bright

That shade of green is certainly correct for 64 as preserved, although 64 has never to my knowledge carried any kind of BR crest while in green livery on the Bluebell.

Useful link

Like I said earlier, some of the colours are being tweaked to improve the shades. 30064 isn't olive, although it looks a bit olive in the photo. I believe it is one of the colours that's being adjusted and that it was closer to the coaching stock green (which the Southern Region continued to call malachite, although it wasn't. Don't quote me on this - I may be wrong but I believe that is what's happening. The other one that's being tweaked is the golden ochre, which is too brown (asit was  on the Railway Children pannier tank). I wouldn't advise changing your pre-order - it'll be as close to 'correct' as we can get it. (CJL)

I've noticed on several occasions that the Kernow/Model Rail offers website will mark pre-orders as available within 28 days. What seems to happen then is that the money is taken from your account when you place the order and, if the item is not due within that period, it is immediately refunded and then taken out again when the item is in stock.

Perhaps somebody from Kernow can clarify?

It has been previously mentioned (probably in the Kernow thread) that Kernow's current website software isn't designed for pre-orders, so it'll take the money and the Kernow staff have to manually refund you. If you want to place a pre-order and not get charged either phone or send an email and arrange payment closer to release.

Edited by Paul.Uni

Like I said earlier, some of the colours are being tweaked to improve the shades. 30064 isn't olive, although it looks a bit olive in the photo. I believe it is one of the colours that's being adjusted and that it was closer to the coaching stock green (which the Southern Region continued to call malachite, although it wasn't. Don't quote me on this - I may be wrong but I believe that is what's happening. The other one that's being tweaked is the golden ochre, which is too brown (asit was  on the Railway Children pannier tank). I wouldn't advise changing your pre-order - it'll be as close to 'correct' as we can get it. (CJL)

Thanks Chris. I was on the verge of cancelling my 30064 until I read that. I'll judge it when it arrives now!

November 1963 to 1967, based at Asford Works for internal duties. Source Southampton's quayside steam, Dave Marden

Ohh, this makes it all the more tempting...  :jester: So she was not seen out of the works in this livery?

Edited by SDJR7F88

That shade of green is certainly correct for 64 as preserved, although 64 has never to my knowledge carried any kind of BR crest while in green livery on the Bluebell.

Try this photo from Bluebell here : http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/personal/jon-horrocks/30064.jpg

Though admittedly she is more Algae green than BR, but she has the late crest.

Were any ever in lined black (whether early or late crest) ?

Thanks

No. None received 'mixed traffic' livery as the only passenger trains they would have worked at that time are likely to have been empty stock for Ocean Liner Expresses, as the main line locomotives worked through to and from the Ocean Terminal in normal circumstances. (CJL)

I think I'm right in saying that the four genuine USA tanks in preservation (as opposed to the two Yugoslavian copies currently at Shillingstone) have carried the following liveries since acquisition from BR:

64 - BR lined Brunswick green; WD grey

65 - KESR green; Southern plain black; BR late crest plain black

70 - KESR green; BR departmental lined malachite green; WD grey

72 - KWVR ochre; BR lined malachite green

65 has also carried KESR "House" Black, and BR early crest. I must admit, I am not sure about 70 being in KESR green, either. She didn't run in the early days, so it was probably still her ex-works colours.

With regards to the Kernow pre-ordering, I'd just like to get something crystal clear in my head. I placed an order for the NCB version and £117 was immediately deducted from my credit card. Will this have been refunded to me, ( i can't see it if thats the case) or is this simply 'payment in advance' for the model?

I'm fine with either scenario, just want to make sure that I'm going to be able to budget for an extra £117 coming out in ht enext couple of months

• RMweb Premium

With regards to the Kernow pre-ordering, I'd just like to get something crystal clear in my head. I placed an order for the NCB version and £117 was immediately deducted from my credit card. Will this have been refunded to me, ( i can't see it if thats the case) or is this simply 'payment in advance' for the model?

I'm fine with either scenario, just want to make sure that I'm going to be able to budget for an extra £117 coming out in ht enext couple of months

In my case, the charge was refunded to the payment card quite promptly.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

...... and if you have a BarclayCard depending upon your statement date you can end up getting the refund in the current month and getting charged the following month. 

Bizarre but that's how BarclayCard operates.

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

70 went straight to departmental malachite green when it re-entered traffic. I have seen a photo on flickr of it in some shade of green whilst parked at Rolvenden pre overhaul, perhaps a protective coating.  65,70 and 72 have had their bunkers/cabs altered post preservation.

The shade of green for DS237 on the modelrail offers page looks very bright compared to 30064 but as Chris said there are revisions to 30064 to come. Cracking models.