Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

On 12/09/2022 at 16:48, hayfield said:

Today I received 4 of 5 7mm scale Slaters wagons I won last week, they (Barnardo's) omitted one and I felt a bit guilty saying it was missing. They were lovely about it and offered to send it special delivery, I replied first class is fine and I will pay the postage. The wagons were better than I expected as the description down plaid them a bit

The 4 wagons are all built but un painted and have no transfers, the only issue is the van is missing a door, a few bits of plasticard will sort out a replacement. 2 open wagons, a van, a cattle truck and a 6 wheeled brake van, all for £35 including postage plus the postage for the fifth wagon 

The missing wagon turned up yesterday so I need to sent a bit of a top up to Barnardo's later.

I have been looking into the kits and with the exception of a van door and a few handrails all 5 seem otherwise well built and complete. I now need to do a bit of research as to both liveries and transfers, with the latter do I buy sets of Slaters transfers at £8 each or go for a HMRS sheet. Given that if I bought them new they would set me back £206 I do have a bit of a leeway 

• Like 6

Over the past couple of years I have tried unsuccessfully tried to buy a DJH LBSCR/SR H1 on several occasions and a new kit is over £200. I was given many years ago a K's GNR Atlantic which before me looked to have been built and taken apart at least twice. It was a struggle as someone had altered some of the parts to fit. I have been thinking of as a last resort buying one and converting it

Well the opportunity arose for a K's SR H1 which had been dismantled and was quoted as believed to be complete but as I could not see everything clearly I assumed some things were missing. It was only £30 inc postage and arrived. I expected parts for the GNR C1.

Well the loco turned up and low and behold yes it was the C1 but had extra cab sides and roof for the LBSCR H1, the main missing parts were the rear bogie wheel casting, two rear bogie frames, plus some smaller items like handrail knobs. There was also no cab front to match the SR cab and roof, the cylinders are also shot. As it happens there were a spare pair of rear frame castings in my original one, one major hurdle avoided. The cylinder block is shot

The main question is do I buy a set of Gibson frames or go for a DJH chassis set, which will be far more comprehensive (though designed for 00 gauge) So will have to be altered. How many years will this linger in the future projects pile?

• Like 6

This is shear madness, a lot of bits which were poor quality and inconclusive went for £51 + postage. I don't mind having a punt, providing I have some idea what's included. I just hope the buyer strikes lucky

s-l500.jpgs-l500.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-039-s-Loco-kits-S-class-14xx-class-and-LMS-2-6-2-incomplete-useful-for-spares-/195337907745?nma=true&si=lK%2FBybn1bH9JDCCL5Trw%2B7tiZIM%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

s-l500.jpg

I was interested in the cab etching, but not that interested

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, hayfield said:

This is shear madness, a lot of bits which were poor quality and inconclusive went for £51 + postage. I don't mind having a punt, providing I have some idea what's included. I just hope the buyer strikes lucky

s-l500.jpgs-l500.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-039-s-Loco-kits-S-class-14xx-class-and-LMS-2-6-2-incomplete-useful-for-spares-/195337907745?nma=true&si=lK%2FBybn1bH9JDCCL5Trw%2B7tiZIM%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

s-l500.jpg

I was interested in the cab etching, but not that interested

That is surely more the madness thread, by the look of it quite possibly a poor buy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

That is surely more the madness thread, by the look of it quite possibly a poor buy. 

With a bit more information it might be a good buy, the S class and the LMS 2-6-2 are very sought after. As far as the S class card its missing most parts. there is nothing to see for the LMS tank other than a set of wheels and a motor, the tin is showing 14xx parts but the real gems may be underneath

As I would dearly like the S class etched cab I was willing to pay up to £20 as I know I could recoup most of that selling both motors and both sets of wheels , all I can see in the tin relates to the 14xx, but how much of a loco(s) can you get into a backy tin

As for the madness thread its mostly RTR

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hornby Railroad Collett coach, "repainted to a high standard".  14 pounds on buy-it-now on eBay.  A really good paint job with straight and steady lining both sides and all the little door handle details accurately picked out from the over all maroon.   Whoever painted this must have had a very steady hand and a lot of patience.   It really looks as good if not better than a factory produced model.

52369600691_ea802f72ba_o.jpg

52370017755_47e0deae47_6k.jpg

• Like 5

A few weeks ago I bought a badly part built Springside 7mm scale 14xx for £80 I am in the process of rebuilding it and about to order the missing parts which I expect will be nearer to £100 than £50, but what a kit and what level of detail it has 

image.png.10f9183db5468d0dc65e5fa604672057.png

Anyway I noticed a Springside 44xx for sale, part built and incomplete. Well I managed to secure it for £152 inc postage. This time the body looks well built and far fewer parts seem to be missing. Its missing a motor and gears, but I have a motor and gears in my spares box.

s-l500.jpg

The main parts I am missing are the cab rear and the boiler backhead, but most of the backhead details are in a bag with lots of small castings. The chassis like the 14xx looks to be well made and the slide bars have an outside chance of being repairable. I have some of the instructions but missing the body diagrams.

Given the kit costs the best part of £450 and I have a motor and gears I am hoping the rest of the missing bits will not be a kings ransom but I am very pleased with it, the 14xx chassis seems to glide along, hopefully this will do the same

I think I may have to slim down my 4mm scale kits somewhat  !!!

• Like 5

£100 

Feeling guilty but I will cherish it.

Appears Hornby warehouse fresh too!

having my small bowel MRI cancelled with one hour to spare last week and loosing a container load of wages for it I am feeling like getting some replacement transfers for it mind you! 

“Clever” me however suggests my angst isn’t with the NHS but with the government though, they were the ones that constrained my income to prevent me buying this when it came out - to do so would of been a whole month of lockdown income so….I guess it’s my recompense! 

A Lovely item from a lovely genuine seller. 

Matt

FE9F96C8-F98F-4563-844E-99D7641FBBFE.jpeg

EEA46AC7-D8B7-4B0A-8062-945B23802C0B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 21/09/2022 at 13:09, hayfield said:

Given the kit costs the best part of £450

Really?! I would be absolutely amazed if they sell any for that given it's age and the ex Mitchell brass kit costs less! Warren Shephard does a lot of 45xx parts if you need spares.

I admit this is, arguably, slightly anal but I value all my stock on a spreadsheet and I had my half built Springisde at 150 - I will have to inflate that by 2 quid!

Anyway on a different note, I get the impression the economic situation is starting to have an impact on eBay. I've had no interest in a couple of things I've listed recently, for the first time ever and several items I've been following have gone for far less than normal, eg a pristine 7mm Lionheart mk1 for under £130 this week. 

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1