Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

Sincere apologies for 'ducking' out yesterday and not for the first time and also meaning I have still yet to see Grantham in the flesh. Unfortunately still having chronic fatigue problems that remain a mystery as they just 'hit' out of the blue leaving me out of action for hours.

However, I really appreciate the photo's, even if I did feel a chill on noticing some P.E equipment stored on the wall near the layout (how I hated beams as a feeble yoof) and I am so pleased all went well (no rain on get in/out helps I am sure).

Best wishes to you all.

That darned 'duck' (thanks for the lovely photo of my namesake heading south to do her thing; what a sight.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

I made the cross country treck yesterday and I'm glad I did.  It was great to see the layout and it certainly dominated my time at the exhibition.  I have never spent so much time in front of a single layout at an exhibition before.  I wouldn't worry about having something moving all the time.  There was plenty to look at and it's nice to be able to view the excellent rolling stock whilst it is stationary.  There was also some entertaining banter surrounding a couple of fiddle yard operators deciding what they could and couldn't get away with sending out whilst the boss wasn't watching.

You have a winner on your hands there Graham.  It is clear that there are a few niggles to sort out and practice is needed before the sequence runs smoothly but with something on this scale that is inevitable and I for one am glad you chose to begin exhibiting Grantham before it is fully finished.

I loved it.  My only regret is that the operating team were kept so busy I didn't get time to speak to them, only managing a brief introduction with Graeme and a curtailed chat with Mrs LNER4479.

I look forward to seeing the layout again.  Well done to the team.

Firstly I do hope Phil (That Duck) that your soon feeling better mate I know how you feel believe me, but things will improve.

Now, Graham I must take you to task over post 2506  No mention of the Ladies and their contribution, JK placing stock on the layout, then along with Lyn & Gill talking to a load of old fogies like myself and seeming interested whilst still  being the understanding partners they are.

Shame on You .   :nono: 

However the layout ran superbly and to me LOOKS  the part, I had a strong discussion with a friend about some things not being accurate, but as I tried to point out the layout was always intended to be a representation of "Grantham" otherwise you would need to use the "Riverside Stadium"  Pitch to erect it.  Actually a better use for that  than Middlesborough FC trying to play football on it. . Sorry Paul, I jest.   :jester: 

I did intend returning yesterday afternoon as well but tripped base over apex whilst collecting the Guide Dog .I felt like a right Bloody "Del Boy " leaning on the Bar flap that had gone. People rushing to help me assuming I was blind.   :O 

I have a disgusting pair of shoes that are so comfortable I wear them all the time,despite having umpteen other pairs.Plus I don't  do up the laces. Well SWMBO was with me and gave me a right B*******     telling off and called me a TRAMP. :angel:     Of course little sympathy,not that I wanted any because it was my own Fault.

Finally despite your typo after a long Three days. I don't think anyone one who has met you and the team feel you’re a Precocious group of people.

Kindest Regards,Del.

PS:- Breaking News  SWMBO has just looked over my shoulder and informed me that My SHOES are in the Rubbish bin and she has put loads of rubbish on top of them this time. :stinker:  :stinker:  :stinker: 

• Like 2

No mention of the Ladies and their contribution

Never mind stock, they did a marvellous job supplying tea to keep everything well lubricated.

I'm not sure what Jean and I are doing in that green diseasel shot - bowing down before the God of Resin?

Nice to see some shots from the front as I didn't get much chance to take a look myself.

• Like 4

Never mind stock, they did a marvellous job supplying tea to keep everything well lubricated.

I'm not sure what Jean and I are doing in that green diseasel shot - bowing down before the God of Resin?

Nice to see some shots from the front as I didn't get much chance to take a look myself.

I assumed :- laughing your heads off at The King of Resin without being seen. :scared:

Regards,Del.

Out of curiosity who was it who made the conversions of the Hornby A1s to the various other members of the class? It's a project I'm looking to undertake on a slightly careworn Flying Fox, so would like some pointers....

Dad also mentioned that in an air raid a bomb landed in a field very close to the Great North Road bridge and was just a few yards from taking out both the main road and railway line in one hit.

First of all to answer a couple of queries.

Mark Allatt's LNER A1/A3 fleet has been carefully assembled by mixing and matching the Hornby products - and a lot of repainting! The condition of each loco has been established as of 3rd July 1938 (as a 'random' date in LNER history!), particularly tender types but also things like the stepped reversing lever of the NB built examples. In some cases this involved purchasing locos in BR livery according to the particular examples that Hornby have produced over the years. Specific details have then been added for locos like 2751 Humorist (experimental - at the time - double chimney and smokebox alterations) and 4481 St Simon (high GN cab).

Details of the air raid are recounted in the Grantham article that appeared in the April 1998 edition of Steam World. It states that 'bombing raids were not infrequent, both in daylight and at night' and then goes on thus:

'One afternoon, the signalman and I witnessed a twin-engine German bomber banking low over Spittlegate bridge during a daring daylight bombing raid. The explosions that followed demolished a block of houses extremely close to the bridge and only a few yards from the mainlines and the factories of Ruston & Hornsby and Aveling Barford. Later it was discovered that an unexploded bomb had landed within the locomotive sidings, only a few hundred yards away from the Marco's ammunition factory. The raid caused several casualties and fatalities. A brave army disposal officer was fatally injured the following day whilst trying to defuse the unexploded bomb.'

Sobering stuff.

On a brighter note, with the debut show under our belt, I am pleased to advise of the full show diary for next year. As well as the Stafford and Nottingham shows already announced, we are also booked to appear at the REC Farnborough show (actually at Woking) on 10th/11th Sept 2016 and Warley NEC on 26th/27th November 2016. Hope that gives you more opportunity to get to see us at a show and we look forward to saying 'hi' if we can at these events. For our part, that gives us plenty to focus on for the layout's continued development over the next 12 months.

We also have some enquiries and advanced bookings for 2017 and 2018 ... but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves at this stage!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I have now returned home having ventured from Grantham into Rutland to visit my sister. I am now sitting in a darkened room regaining some semblance of order.

The Deltic belongs to yours truly and made a change to them pesky A1,A3 and A4s. Did notice that red leader didn't include a shot of the blue diesel which started to close on the wagon haulage levels only seen with some of Mr Kings conversions.... next time we may just have to go for it...

And we can't forget Harvey - the van packing supremo and Layout Head of Security!

Some different pictures will be added when  I download them.

Baz

• Like 3

Just a brief note to echo all that has already been said. Didn't get chance to introduce myself as everyone was so busy although I did have a quick chat with Barry in the other hall.

Dad behaved himself although he did ask where the coal tower was. He remembered walking up the slope from Springfield Road with his father to collect his wages from an office somewhere near the shed - this would have been in the late 1930s early 1940s as my granddad left the railway in 1947 (aged 47) to run the Crown Inn at Tinwell near Stamford. Dad also mentioned that in an air raid a bomb landed in a field very close to the Great North Road bridge and was just a few yards from taking out both the main road and railway line in one hit.

Pleased to see the second issue of 'Return to Grantham' was also available.

Mike

Was this the same raid that took out the southern half of Albert Street ?  The idea was to flatten the railway under the A1 and thus cut both lines of communication.   Only one man was killed by this raid; he was in the outside toilet and refused to leave it.   The irony in the incident is that the man had been evacuated from London to avoid the bombing !

That's the story that my Uncle Walter Booth told us; he was Station Inspector at Grantham and lived at number 39 Albert Street, around the corner from Houghton Road where we lived...later !!  (phew - just made it back to railways !)

Was this the same raid that took out the southern half of Albert Street ?  The idea was to flatten the railway under the A1 and thus cut both lines of communication.   Only one man was killed by this raid; he was in the outside toilet and refused to leave it.   The irony in the incident is that the man had been evacuated from London to avoid the bombing !

That's the story that my Uncle Walter Booth told us; he was Station Inspector at Grantham and lived at number 39 Albert Street, around the corner from Houghton Road where we lived...later !!  (phew - just made it back to railways !)

I am confused by the remark about Southern end of Albert Street, as far as I was aware it was at the top end near to the Great North Road and my Aunie,s mother lived at  no 9 Albert Street and Mr & Mrs Savage lived at no 24 and neither of them were bombed.  I thought it was near where the Tilley's lived.Possibly we are both wrong as It could technically run East to West.  I guess it's possible that your uncle would have worked with Ted Burgoyne on the station, his Son Dennis became a railwayman at Grantham and then Ilford.  (Railway Comment)

Edited by CUTLER2579
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So some other photographs. Rather than just photographing the layout whats it like looking out of the layout towards the public...

First up

Mr LNER 4479 and Mr LNER 4479 Seniors better half on the main control panel.

post-7650-0-42191600-1442247084_thumb.jpg

The fiddle yard duo.. a jubilant Mr King (those J6s were very good...)

post-7650-0-63428000-1442247159_thumb.jpg

and a busy (as always) JW

post-7650-0-21218500-1442247189_thumb.jpg

Tony Wright (Sir) in readiness for the next photo opportunity

post-7650-0-23053000-1442247133_thumb.jpg

I did miss one or two people but we did get a shot of an important job being undertaken by Flying Fox and Mrs LNER4479

post-7650-0-65210800-1442247501_thumb.jpg

and  now some train shots.. first a view from a bridge

post-7650-0-61406100-1442247562_thumb.jpg

just collecting loco numbers and then a blue A4 comes our way getting ready for an engine change! Thank you driver! Meanwhile the yard pilot awaits its next move.

post-7650-0-56117900-1442247684_thumb.jpg

Our patience is rewarded as an A1 or is it a 3 hurtles past with a train containing a triplet restaurant set.

post-7650-0-06108900-1442247751_thumb.jpg

We lugged the gear to the North end to see what was going on up there and were rewarded with Mr Kings P1 on a freight looking very impressive

post-7650-0-07962700-1442247866_thumb.jpg

And then Diamond Jubilee stopped en route for the shed

post-7650-0-67159600-1442247902_thumb.jpg

Our helicopter arrived and whisked us off - just in time to capture the Heljan "Tango" to be snapped..

post-7650-0-79844600-1442247987_thumb.jpg

Apologies for missing some operators but my photographic skills are nowhere near those of young Mister Wright.

barry O

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 18

Sorry I couldn't make it to Grantham, fully intended doing so until Sunday morning. Then a combination of the weather forecast (rain starting in the afternoon for most of the week:stinker: ), very long grass on the lawn and a certain amount of chuntering from 'er indoors, I'm afraid to say the grass won:jester:
I'll almost certainly be at Stafford and definitely at Nottingham:sungum: .
Can I compliment you on your running, it's nice to see the trains given their head on a layout which is essentially all about speed. I get tired of seeing 'express trains' being anything but. I stood and watched a (very good) layout at a show,the trains looked as though they were under caution so my interest soon lapsed

I'll put in my pictorial two penn'orth at some stage, including what passes for humour, but I'm still doing some serious unwinding at present.

I hope "man down" has now recovered from his migraine and that those who need glasses are keeping track of where they have put them - or better still are thinking about wearing some suitable ones on a full time basis, so they won't lose them.....

• Like 1

Many thanks for posting those pictures, Tony - been looking forward to seeing them all day! Also love the picture of the Heljan O2 crossing the North Junction on your thread.

Be a pleasure to see any other folks' pictures (or videos?) of the layout...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh, so many thanks Tony. That final shot looking south has reminded me of a day in May/June 1962 when my Newcastle bound Express stopped at Grantham to change A3s. From a coach that would have been positioned on the down main (almost bottom 'off stage' left corner of this pic) I took three awful pictures with a little and cheap camera. One of each of the A3s and one looking back down towards the shed. If I can find them I might just post them on here purely for nostalgia's sake. OK it was 1962, however this was the only time I knowingly saw Grantham from a train.

A week later we must have either thundered through or stopped here again (sure I would have noted the latter unless I was asleep) behind Miles Beevor. I remember seeing 60026 at the stops at the X as we tramped down the Platform as if  just a few weeks ago. Glorious memories.

As an Ambrosia man people often comment on why I have such an interest in the LNER/ER. The answer is this experience along with a couple of other trips north to Consett (via Bristol and Sheffield), plus a Top Shed and Stratford (yes I know that's GE) visit in 1960 and a couple of spotting visits to London in the same time period.

This is what a great model railway like this does for me. It is such a grand way of 'seeing' something from what I consider to be such happy times.

Thank you all guys and gals,

Phil (ex 83D and 72A, now at 36E).

• Like 2

Hi Tony. Thanks for posting the photo of Sutton. The Brit really looks the part - I'll have to get one! As we discussed at the show, can you please forward electronic copies of the photos you took of Sutton at Grantham and I'll put them on our website (and I will then have your email address).

Good to see you at the show. Thanks for letting us use some of your locos, it was a lot of fun and we all enjoyed ourselves immensely.

Bern

Edited by bern4472
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony. Thanks for posting the photo of Sutton. The Brit really looks the part - I'll have to get one! As we discussed at the show, can you please forward electronic copies of the photos you took of Sutton at Grantham and I'll put them on our website (and I will then have your email address).

Good to see you at the show. Thanks for letting us use some of your locos, it was a lot of fun and we all enjoyed ourselves immensely.

Bern

Bern I note you didn't mention the derailments... :secret: **

** it was our point blade but don't tell anyone else...

Bern

Bern,

The other shots I took are now on Wright Writes, and I've sent them to you by e-mail. 

As mentioned in the above post, derailment(s). I've checked the K2 and the back-to-backs on the pony are fine. It must be my poor construction of the pony!

And, did I speak with Chris P Bacon at the weekend? Sorry to go off topic, but I wish this convention of using Web names could discontinue. It would be really nice to know whom one was communicating with.  

Edited by Tony Wright

• RMweb Gold

Bern,

The other shots I took are now on Wright Writes, and I've sent them to you by e-mail. 

As mentioned in the above post, derailment(s). I've checked the K2 and the back-to-backs on the pony are fine. It must be my poor construction of the pony!

And, did I speak with Chris P Bacon at the weekend? Sorry to go off topic, but I wish this convention of using Web names could discontinue. It would be really nice to know whom one was communicating with.  

Hi Tony.

We had a broken rail/dry joint on the slip (in the fault book) and I think that's what had the pony off rather than the loco being at fault, we had quite a pile of wagons behind that had been failed before we realised.

And yes twas me behind the layout operating, I was shunting with the J15 then 08 as you were taking piccies. I forget who knows me and who doesn't (or avoids me)

........... but I wish this convention of using Web names could discontinue. It would be really nice to know whom one was communicating with.  

Well said - I couldn't agree more !!!

I made the same point not so long ago, and the only mitigating post that I can recall was along the lines that 'my clients might connect me with my posts, otherwise' - which I couldn't really follow !

Surely, if you feel strongly enough about anything enough to post here, you should have the courage of your convictions to be associated with your missive ?

I, for one, would really like to read a single convincing reason for not posting under one's real name - please do regard this as a challenge, but post responses to http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/103068-pseudonyms/ .

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi Tony.

We had a broken rail/dry joint on the slip (in the fault book) and I think that's what had the pony off rather than the loco being at fault, we had quite a pile of wagons behind that had been failed before we realised.

And yes twas me behind the layout operating, I was shunting with the J15 then 08 as you were taking piccies. I forget who knows me and who doesn't (or avoids me)

Ah, then this may be part of the reason the Heljan Tango derailed. I know Tony checked the b2b's and they were OK.

I may also have spoken to you as well the (I purchased the B2 kit from you recently that Tony is going to give me some tuition on!) but of course we have never met officially. I did speak to a couple of you guys on Saturday about bringing the Tango on Sutton. Anyway congratulations on a superb layout!

Perhaps the mandatory use of 'bilingual' name tags should be mandatory at exhibitions!

Grahame (alias Brush Veteran)

• Like 1