Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Gold

Of course, the late Gerry Fiennes recalled a story in one of his books, where one of the American 2-8-0's was being tested over the GCR during World War ll. It was running along that fast, with the driver not quite grasping how to operate the brakes(air braking on those loco's) that each of the curved sections of track looked just as has just been described. Mr. Fienne's was quite terrified in case the loco' derailed.

A fascinating story!

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

The Grantham Matters website is reporting yet another bridge strike on Barrowby Road.Someone has posted this photo which made me smile . . .http://www.granthammatters.co.uk/network-rails-latest-answer-to-rail-bridge-hit-crisis/.

That's what happens when you take no notice of the 4.62 metre height warning notice on the front of the trailer, (15' 2", in old money!)

and you leave the height indicator in the cab showing 13' 9". The excuse of,"Not had this trailer before", doesn't really carry any weight with me or my colleagues!

Thinking about it, the Trailer is overweight for Harlaxton Road as well.

Timber bodied Panetechnicons would probably just leave a pile of broken wood sections and battered furniture.

Paul 4475

• Like 2

The trouble is that a brain and the ability to read are required in order to take notice of a marked trailer height and act with care in proper accordance.

The utterly ridiculous thing about this is that if dense drivers of oversize vehicles keep running into the bridge, some equally dense petty politician or local safety campaigner will start to claim that the bridge itself is dangerous and should be altered. It's really quite simple, if you don't want to crash, don't drive into it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

From a link of the 'Grantham Matters' website I have just watched a very brief advert for a DVD produced by Primetime Videos called 'Grantham Looks Back' covering the period 1908 to 1971

http://www.primetimevideo.co.uk/collections/archive/products/grantham-looks-back-dvd

The clip on YouTube includes a film of the first tracked vehicle produced by Hornsby in 1908 - as it comes through the factory gates there is a glimpse of the railway in the background with a tank wagon parked.

I wondered if anyone had the DVD and if there were any useful views of the railway.

• RMweb Gold

Oops - been a bit longer than intended since last update. Was laid low for a few days in the week (feeble excuse, I know!)

Anyhow, the last 'catch up' item from pre-Grantham is the MPD 'old' coaling stage. It doesn't look like I posted very much on it previously, so we'll pick it up from this picture:

attachicon.gifIMG_5012.JPG

This shows the basic 3mm ply shell being covered with my favourite, lifetime's supply of 1mm card to create the necessary relief and window apertures.

attachicon.gifIMG_5015.JPG

Then brick plasticard (Slaters, English Bond) inserts for the recesses

attachicon.gifIMG_5033.JPG

This is then one of the pieces for the top surface. Took about an hour to mark and cut each of these! Note the card templates used for marking the window / door openings and arches prior to cutting.

attachicon.gifIMG_5069.JPG

This is the effect after all this work. The card formers for the chimney stacks have been added.

attachicon.gifIMG_5066.JPG

At this stage, I did some work to make up the approach ramp.

attachicon.gifIMG_5067.JPG

Was quite pleased with this little piece of carpentry

attachicon.gifIMG_5068.JPG

View from the bottom of the ramp. I managed to squeeze in a minimal impression of the coal wagon siding that was alongside the ramp as a last minute trackwork alteration.

attachicon.gifIMG_5086.JPG

A (horrible!) close-up of some of the brickwork detail. The angled layer of bricks at the bottom of the recesses was simply made by scoring slightly along the mortar line on the topmost line of bricks on the raised level of plasticard and filing a slight chamfer on the back before bending into place and holding whilst the mek-pak 'takes'. The arches are simply a strip of bricks on their side, with the mortar lines cut through half way down - this causes them to take up a slightly curved shape which can then be adjusted to fit (not strictly a correct pattern of bricks though)

attachicon.gifIMG_5151.JPG

Here it is with all the brick covering now done.

attachicon.gifIMG_5157.JPG

Now we turn to the roof. These are the thick Wills tile sheets which can be largely self-supporting. Note however on the stage itself, two additional plywood support pieces have been added, mimicking the profile of the intended roof shape.

attachicon.gifIMG_5159.JPG

That's looking a little more like it! With a coat of paint, this was more or less how it appeared at the Grantham show. Note the plasticard shell of the water tank

attachicon.gifIMG_5539.JPG

In the last few weeks, I've been continuing with the detail. Here the ribs are being added to the water tank sides.

attachicon.gifIMG_5575.JPG

Now with coat of paint applied. Below this, a piece of clear plasticard with the bottom painted a greeny-brown colour, will form the top water surface.

attachicon.gifIMG_5583.JPG

At t'other end, this is the distinctive hut taking shape that was suspended out over the end of the coal siding.

attachicon.gifIMG_5593.JPG

And here are some views taken immediately before compiling this post. I've taken this from a slightly elevated viewpoint to show the water effect at the top of the tank.

attachicon.gifIMG_5592.JPG

And the other end, with the hut structure having been painted just awaiting glazing before I put the roof on.

Plenty more still to do yet! Next will be the brickwork covering on the approach ramp, together with their distinctive railings.

That's a great bit of plasticard bashing, looks really good, and captures the essence of the original.

I too would be interested in what colours you used for the blue brick, it looks spot on.

Al.

Scoring plastic bricks to create a curve is a nice technique, and using that on normal bricks card to create the large window top arches is a really good idea. Lovely work all round on the new building.

Thank you for sharing the process of making it.

Jamie

Thanks for all the 'likes' folks! To respond to a couple of queries:

That's a great bit of plasticard bashing, looks really good, and captures the essence of the original.

I too would be interested in what colours you used for the blue brick, it looks spot on.

Thanks Al - that's fine praise, coming from the plasticard-meister himself!

To answer Jez and your query, the blue brick colour was mixed from dark grey and ... er ... blue!

I use Humbrol M67 a lot, it seems to cover a multitude of sins. I was going to paint it this colour straight out of the tin but when I compared a small test patch with some colour pics in the Keith Pirt book, there was a noticeable - and consistent - difference in hue. So I picked up the only tin of Matt blue I had hanging about - M25 - and just added a little bit at a time until it looked about right! I would guess it's about 75% M67 and 25% M25. I must admit, I quite like how it's turned out myself.

From a link of the 'Grantham Matters' website I have just watched a very brief advert for a DVD produced by Primetime Videos called 'Grantham Looks Back' covering the period 1908 to 1971

http://www.primetimevideo.co.uk/collections/archive/products/grantham-looks-back-dvd

I wondered if anyone had the DVD and if there were any useful views of the railway.

Somebody does Mike and yes it most certainly does have some useful - I would say priceless - views of the railway.

This DVD was 'discovered' (if that's the right work) by John Clayson (61070 of this parish) at the time of the Margaret Thatcher tribute programme. It contains an approx. 30 second sequence filmed at the station on - we believe - the day of the inaugural run of the Coronation streamlined service. The photographer (who must have had access to decent 'kit' at the time) obviously got himself invited into North Box and must have set up two cameras, one facing south (for the shot of the train approaching) and one facing north (for the shot of it receding). You can see some stills from this DVD on the following page of the ever excellent Return to Grantham website:

http://returntograntham.co.uk/signal-boxes-and-signalling/grantham-north-signal-box/grantham-north-signal-box-an-introduction/

Edited by LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

This DVD was 'discovered' (if that's the right work) by John Clayson (61070 of this parish) at the time of the Margaret Thatcher tribute programme. It contains an approx. 30 second sequence filmed at the station on - we believe - the day of the inaugural run of the Coronation streamlined service. The photographer (who must have had access to decent 'kit' at the time) obviously got himself invited into North Box and must have set up two cameras, one facing south (for the shot of the train approaching) and one facing north (for the shot of it receding). You can see some stills from this DVD on the following page of the ever excellent Return to Grantham website:

http://returntograntham.co.uk/signal-boxes-and-signalling/grantham-north-signal-box/grantham-north-signal-box-an-introduction/

Many thanks - 'Return to Grantham' credits the shots to Walter Lee and a search led me back to the 'Grantham Matters' site where there are two entries for him

http://www.granthammatters.co.uk/spotlight-on-walter-lee/

http://www.granthammatters.co.uk/lee-walter-2/

• RMweb Premium

Graham, you are bound to have seen these published photos in the Middleton Press "Peterborough to Newark" but I will just mention in case they evaded you.

Photos 72 to 93 are of Grantham. 73 has good views of both canopies at the north end for instance.  If you don't happen to have the book, let me know and I will tell you what is in the other pictures in case helpful.  There are also 2 full pages of 20 inch to the mile plans, labelled 1929.

Regards, Tom