Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

First of all, my apologies for the delay in acknowledging these posts. As you might imagine, a long list of 'jobs' has suddenly appeared, none of which have anything to do with constructing a model railway...

Aaaanyway... Do I get a prize for having travelled the furthest to see the layout? I got the train down from Aberdeen...

I think you might do! Gosh, that is impressive - I hope you considered your long trip to be worthwhile?

A few more photos, all taken on the Saturday. 

A lull in activity is an opportunity to admire the gleaming metals, from the complex junctions and connections at the North Box to the ladder crossings in the distance.

attachicon.gifGrantham Rail Show 2015-09-12 IMG_3790adj.jpg

attachicon.gifGrantham Rail Show 2015-09-12 IMG_3795adj.jpg

Hovering above an imaginary Dysart Road...

attachicon.gifGrantham Rail Show 2015-09-12 IMG_3798adj.jpg

The audience appreciates.

attachicon.gifGrantham Rail Show 2015-09-12 IMG_3799adj.jpg

attachicon.gifGrantham Rail Show 2015-09-12 IMG_3801adj.jpg

John, these pictures are wonderful - many thanks for posting. I think I like #3 the best, the Flying Scotsman framed between the signals. Very dramatic!

Edited by LNER4479

I think you might do! Gosh, that is impressive - I hope you considered your long trip to be worthwhile?

Loved it! And I was particularly pleased to see Grantham in the flesh (not trying to massage your ego or anything, but it was the whole reason I made the trip in the first place). I have so many ideas now on how I could adapt Peco trackwork for my eventual Starlingford Mk.2...

You should start a layout thread so we can all see more :sungum:

Cat, meet pigeons. RMweb, meet NewRailwayModellers...

Starlingford has been on the go on t'other forum for many years now, so if you want to check it out, here is the link: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13651

It's been a long, slow build, but it is apparently nearing completion. Time to start thinking about the next layout - this time perhaps in a house of my own?!

Gavin

• RMweb Premium

Harlaxton Road bridge has been hit again :nono: .  Just seen this on the Grantham Matters local news web site

http://www.granthammatters.co.uk/bnridge-closed-again-for-teatime-traffic/

EDIT Better pictures in this link instead

http://www.granthammatters.co.uk/another-grantham-bridge-hit-this-morning-2/

Edited by Mike Bellamy

I don't know, I look really miserable in that latest set of pictures. The joys of concentration!

Yes, Harlaxton Road has had another chunk took out of it. Required a road closure yesterday evening, (that caused mayhem in the town), to remove a damaged steel protection plate. I did not see the vehicle concerned as I'm on a course all week, but speed and weight would contribute.

Paul 4475

• RMweb Gold

You will need clearance trials before kings and castles appear through Grantham.

Hat, coat, gone.

Cobblers - this one had worked in from Leeds so had obviously passed through Grantham, and no doubt 4479 has built his Grantham to correct clearances so it will fit.  And nothwithstanding the location the engine shows no sign of being cross ;)

post-6859-0-33585200-1443178286_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Was that the Sleeper service? if so, good luck as Cornwall is shut between September 25th and July 1st each year.

'Twas indeed. Cornwall was 'open' enough to see what we wanted to today...

post-16151-0-21269500-1443207173_thumb.jpg

More semaphores where we alighted. No real prizes for guessing ... a quick walk round the corner to:

post-16151-0-06714400-1443207239_thumb.jpg

The waiting branchline connection

post-16151-0-24308400-1443207498_thumb.jpg

Reversal at Coombe Junction

post-16151-0-37414600-1443207579_thumb.jpg

And arrival at destination

post-16151-0-92730600-1443207668_thumb.jpg

Nice place, Looe

post-16151-0-79280000-1443207734_thumb.jpg

Required track for Mrs4479, hence the trip.

Where to tomorrow, I wonder?

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 10

You will need clearance trials before kings and castles appear through Grantham.

Hat, coat, gone..

There was never a problem with the Kings, Castles or indeed Stars. it was the 2 cylinder jobs with those big sticky out things that caused the grief...

• Like 1

If I have said it before, I apologise, but I have never ever seen such good use of Peco Code 100 track. It doesn't even shout crude, HO and overscale either. A couple of times your layout has encouraged me to consider sponge inlay, and I still make good use of it for silence to give the impression the trains have gone into the distance when they pass through the shed wall onto the extension. I have also tried your method of splicing points.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

An uncannily topical remark in view of the fact that I copied 4479 in on some e-mails earlier this week on the very subject of the pro's and cons of the various forms of track.

We'd better not expand that discussion here though, it is sure to entail a massive diversion from the core subject and no doubt various unrealistic, pedantic of vitriolic comments from one or two, especially those whose real goal is to seize upon any excuse to tell us all that we should change to a particular modelling scale.....

Edited by gr.king

Nice photos. We were on holiday in Ross on Wye in July and fancied a train trip so we drove to Gloucester and then by train down to Bristol. After shopping / eating we visited the SS Great Britain, and as you rightly say it's a fantastic museum, well worth the admission price.

Interesting to note the hull "below" the waterline is air conditioned (constant temp & humidity). I asked why, and was told that salt water had taken its toll on the ships hull over the years of abandonment down in the Falklands. The salt is now deeply engrained in the ships lower hull. University research stated the best method of preservation was controlled humidity / temp of the lower hull. The guy told us they have probably saved her for around 100 years or so, as the hull will continue to slowly disintegrate to flaky rust. They have bought time, and, hopefully some new method of preservation will be found. Resin injection is currently being researched.

Anyway, agree, very good place to visit, though the trains weren't running when we visited (mid-week).

Brit15

Bristol, this morning.

post-16151-0-87234800-1443383288_thumb.jpg

Once again, we could have caught this train straight home. But we didn't.

post-16151-0-94621700-1443383337_thumb.jpg

Instead, into the Principality

post-16151-0-29117500-1443383399_thumb.jpg

Further yet, into deepest, darkest South Wales

post-16151-0-68651100-1443383441_thumb.jpg

Termination point of the furthest tentacles of the Paddington services in these parts.

post-16151-0-96701300-1443383532_thumb.jpg

Our final destination.

post-16151-0-29357200-1443383594_thumb.jpg

Nice place, Tenby.

post-16151-0-50978400-1443383628_thumb.jpg

That's it - home and back to normality tomorrow ;)

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 14