Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

Graham, you are bound to have seen these published photos in the Middleton Press "Peterborough to Newark" but I will just mention in case they evaded you.

Photos 72 to 93 are of Grantham. 73 has good views of both canopies at the north end for instance.  If you don't happen to have the book, let me know and I will tell you what is in the other pictures in case helpful.  There are also 2 full pages of 20 inch to the mile plans, labelled 1929.

Regards, Tom

This book is getting more publicity than the new James Bond film. It's on my Christmas list now.

• RMweb Premium

I just came across another good picture of the 2 canopies at the North end, in the early 1900s in "The Great Northern Railway, by OS Nock, 1958. Page 128

And also a very close in picture of Peascliffe tunnel mouth, from track level on the up side with some brickwork detail, and the lower edge of the copse and also the fence.  Plus an immaculate 2750 about to plunge into darkness. It's in the LNER Scene by Maurice Earley. Photo 80.

Let me know if you want more details.  Tom

• RMweb Gold

In that last pic, the trackwork in front of the signal box is a seriously intricate collection: a diamond crossing with two double slips off it, isn't it?

I'm sure it will have appeared at some point in  the thread, but I don't recall seeing it before. Obviously one of your famous Peco butchery examples, I think?

Al.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

great fun today playing trains operating Grantham. With these baseboards removed some more ballasting can be undertaken plus some point motor wiring up....

JW parcel train is superb. All those different vehicles from various kits - brilliant work!

Baz

• Like 3

In that last pic, the trackwork in front of the signal box is a seriously intricate collection: a diamond crossing with two double slips off it, isn't it?

I'm sure it will have appeared at some point in  the thread, but I don't recall seeing it before. Obviously one of your famous Peco butchery examples, I think?

Al.

Well, I did warn you when it was going 'in' for the last time, for keeps. Now permanently entombed by the ballast-meister. 

However, seeing as you asked so nicely, here are the earlier photos of it in its component form...

post-16151-0-44426700-1447020084_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-72834800-1447020100_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-52754500-1447020133_thumb.jpg

Pay more attention at the back of the class there next time!! :jester:

Anyone coming to Warley this year, I'll be sat behind a desk with a large box of Peco points to show anyone who's interested...

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful work G, it's really brought that corner to life, and as I've commented before, you've captured the colour of the brickwork exactly.

Thank you for showing the stages you went through to achieve that.

If you'll forgive me, I think your doors are a bit too neat and tidy :) I would expect them to be a bit tatty round the edges, and maybe to have been fly-postered or otherwise defaced.

Al.

If you'll forgive me, I think your doors are a bit too neat and tidy :) I would expect them to be a bit tatty round the edges, and maybe to have been fly-postered or otherwise defaced.

In the 1930's?

It's a fair comment and one I continually self-check myself on. All the research I've done points to a c-change regarding things like this following WWII. Up to that point, things were kept pretty well organised - even on loco depots. The piles of ash everywhere and general air of dereliction seems to have been very much a 1960's 'thing'. Yes, there would have been dirt and grime in the air - that was inevitable with the steam locomotive. But that's not the same as being uncared for.

Pre-war, a depot like Grantham would have employed general cleaners (separate from loco cleaners) whose job it was to keep the place clean n tidy - a place for everything and everything in its place. Probably even a regular lick of paint round the place too. This in turn made for a safe and efficient working environment for both traincrew and depot fitting staff alike.

But you're right in one way. Once everything has actually been made(!) then I intend to go round on a general 'blending in' exercise. But it will be muted and not overdone.

Be interested to hear any other opinions on this topic?

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1

How did this coaling stage work?  Did chaps stand inside the coal wagons and heave the coal out of the wagon door and onto a chute of some kind?  It must have taken forever to coal a loco that way.

I wouldn't want to see too much grot appear - I find the dirt and grot of most layouts of a later period rather unsavoury, and would prefer to see steam in its heyday.  I imagine a haze of coal dust or ash colour muting the colours somewhat, but not the '50 Shades of Grey' beloved of most steam era layouts...

• Like 1

How did this coaling stage work?  Did chaps stand inside the coal wagons and heave the coal out of the wagon door and onto a chute of some kind?  It must have taken forever to coal a loco that way.

Hi Dr G-F

There were intermediate wheeled trolleys (tubs) that the contents of the coal wagons were emptied into. When a loco required coaling, it was these latter tubs that were then emptied into the tender via a counter-balanced ramp. So it was the coaling stage guys job to keep the tubs full so if there was a sudden convey of locos requiring coaling then they could be serviced quickly. Quite a common arrangement at many coal stages around the country.

I'll try and find a pic...

Here we are - a recreation at Diddlycot

http://www.onlineweb.com/rail/photos/didcot_rly_centre_2010/mini-P1010399.JPG

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 2

Was the incline ballasted or were the sleepers secured to the structure? If the latter, the disguising of the heavy and flat-bottomed rail profile may be a challenge.

Ballasted. On the 'to do' list!()

Once inside the stage they were set into a level working surface (might have been steel plating) to facilitate easy moving round of them coal tubs

Dead easy - one wagon with wheel set glued into the axleboxes. You're not going to want them to be shunted during shows as well are you? If you must then I suppose a set of spoked wheels spragged with a matchstick would leave the wagon un-molested for other uses. One could always create a loud distraction for the moment when the matchstick has to be handled - such as by shouting "look over there, that bloke's hair is on fire!" - or only handle the matchstick when a prestigious main line train is passing by.....