Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

I did what I could... :scratchhead:

We (myself and Mrs4479) had a chuckle to ourselves at the number of people who came up and said: 'I'm getting back into the hobby after many years away...'. I think the natural second half to that sentence - which I wasn't brave enough to add - goes something like: '...from the time before I discovered women and beer!' :girldevil:

• RMweb Premium

Only LNER 4479 would build a temporary layout using the table as a suitable baseboard at a railway exhibition.

Haven't heard anything but positives on his demo and presentations though.

Baz

PS could have done with the teleporter myself last night it was just a tad wet and windy.

• Like 1

I accept that the regular stone paving of the type in the goods yard is widely referred to as a cobbled surface, but if we're being ultra pedantic, is it not the case that cobbles are rounded stones, usually the product of the action of the sea's waves on a rocky shore (and which can be used for irregular paving, as well as for walling in Norfolk for instance) whereas the regularly shaped, squared-off road stones are setts?

• RMweb Premium

I accept that the regular stone paving of the type in the goods yard is widely referred to as a cobbled surface, but if we're being ultra pedantic, is it not the case that cobbles are rounded stones, usually the product of the action of the sea's waves on a rocky shore (and which can be used for irregular paving, as well as for walling in Norfolk for instance) whereas the regularly shaped, squared-off road stones are setts?

Quite right !! Music to the ears of a civil engineer.

Living here surrounded by Cornish granite, I find it crazy that the granite setts used nowadays are imported from China; (cost) !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Quite right !! Music to the ears of a civil engineer.

Living here surrounded by Cornish granite, I find it crazy that the granite setts used nowadays are imported from China; (cost) !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Sadly, it really is cheaper.  Possibly down to labour costs. The same is true of a lot of slate used for roofing, wall tiles and paving.

You are of course pedantically correct. It's just that 'cobblers' sounded funnier than 'setters'

(or even 'settlers' <-- which could be a reference to (illegal?) immigrants or a cure for an upset stomach. Neither of which has got much to do with Grantham's goods yard...)

I'm not totally convinced but I seem to remember someone once telling me that a 'true' Cobble should be an unbroken flint. Of course that could be cobblers.

Phil 

Phil,

you must of been told that in Northampton the place is full of "Cobblers".

Regards,Derek.

And for those of you who didn't make it to Warley this year, here's a picture of the trackwork at Grantham wot I took to illustrate my demo stand at the show:

post-16151-0-85442800-1449136140_thumb.jpg

A job on the pre-Stafford 'to do' list is to attend to that rather odd-looking length of pink-ish ballasting that has crept in. Not sure what happened there. Also to replace the buffer stop that appears to have gone missing in action (directly above the C12's cab). Other than that, I don't think it's looking too bad. Plenty of detail that can (and will) be added over time. Point rodding anyone?

Had a chat with Steve Flint (Railway Modeller) at the show and it might lead to me writing a short series of trackwork articles for the mag. I'll keep you posted.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 15

And for those of you who didn't make it to Warley this year, here's a picture of the trackwork at Grantham wot I took to illustrate my demo stand at the show:

attachicon.gifIMG_5648_LR.jpg

A job on the pre-Stafford 'to do' list is to attend to that rather odd-looking length of pink-ish ballasting that has crept in. Not sure what happened there. Also to replace the buffer stop that appears to have gone missing in action (directly above the C12's cab). Other than that, I don't think it's looking too bad. Plenty of detail that can (and will) be added over time. Point rodding anyone?

Had a chat with Steve Flint (Railway Modeller) at the show and it might lead to me writing a short series of trackwork articles for the mag. I'll keep you posted.

Derr, worrabaht the one be'ind the clerestory?

• RMweb Premium

that pink ballast has nowt todo with me sir! I am only allowed to do the nice clean stuff, the greyish stuff and the blackish stuff......nuff said!

Baz

Edited by Barry O

that pink ballast has nowt todo with me sir! I am only allowed to do the nice clean stuff, the greyish stuff and the blackish stuff......nuff said!

Baz

Did I say it was to do with you?(!) Now you've shown me the error of my ways we can add it to your 'to do' list :friends:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Did I say it was to do with you?(!) Now you've shown me the error of my ways we can add it to your 'to do' list :friends:

Yippeeeddooo...... and that paint looks good for weathering some of that pick ballast..