Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Gold

Or through the spokes. You'd easily be mardy* enough to do either.

*Does anybody outside the Lincolnshire / South Yorkshire area know that term?

Yep.  NE Cheshire.  Very common.  Along with the related "mard ar8e".

• RMweb Premium

As promised here are a couple of shots of the coaling tubs at Lancaster.

post-6824-0-84105100-1448287254_thumb.jpg

post-6824-0-92310400-1448287263_thumb.jpg

Made by one of our team the late Bernard Shaw from photos.   They were filled by hand then lifted up and tippled into the tenders.

Jamie

• Like 10

Bit of a miscellany coming up...

First of all, early news from Ormesby

post-16151-0-21433600-1448489717_thumb.jpg

Might not look much yet, but this is the start of ground cover work in the Up Goods Yard. Card is being used to build up the ground level in preparation for fixing a printed cobbles top surface just below rail height. In the back ground is the reversing loop guide wire for the road system (needed to be installed prior to the top surface being applied).

post-16151-0-60582400-1448489746_thumb.jpg

And look what I returned with? In no time at all the master building builder (Paul Bolton) had knocked up this delightful factory group from some mock-ups we'd made a week or two before (based on the aerial pictures). Some sort of factory complex (with chimney) backing on to the station approach road.

post-16151-0-41112900-1448489819_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, I've been busy down the south end, completing the basic structure of the road system and the backscene. The idea is that a 'double track' road crosses the Great North Road bridge, with a reversing loop. Although the latter is technically 'off scene', I'll leave it on view as it's bound to create some interest.

post-16151-0-70936100-1448489841_thumb.jpg

Here is the view from the public side, showing the effect with the backscene in place and a basic sky blue covering. Hopefully gives a reasonable impression of railway coming straight on into the scene?

Finally, I'm one of several on here roped into Barry O's demonstration team at the NEC this weekend. I've therefore been out and about round the layout with my camera and here are a few photos that didn't make the final cut.

post-16151-0-52573200-1448489867_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-01944200-1448489931_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-69917400-1448489976_thumb.jpg

When not presenting (gulp!) in the theatre, I shall be sat sitting(!) behind a desk with a box full of (old) Peco points to mutilate so do come and say hi if you feel so moved (Stand A64). See you there!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Well, I like both the factory buildings as well as the road overbridge. Both are excellent additions to the layout.

I cannot understand why those other photo's did not make it in the selection for use at Warley, they really are very good.

With regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

And speaking of the roadway system, a long, long time ago (well it seems like it was) you were going to publish something about how the Harlaxton road end ( back scene etc.) had worked at the Grantham exhibition. Just saying,Guv - no pressure.

• Like 1

And speaking of the roadway system, a long, long time ago (well it seems like it was) you were going to publish something about how the Harlaxton road end ( back scene etc.) had worked at the Grantham exhibition. Just saying,Guv - no pressure.

Oh - OK, then!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 14

How many times did you have to film it before it went where it was supposed to?

All I remember is Gill giving it a 'look' and it trying to throw itself off the board.

Only two 'takes' required. On the first take, the goods train became uncoupled across the junction!

All unbeknownst to you, a hasty / temporary 'mod' was undertaken at the Grantham show and the vehicle now reliably follows the route shown in the vid. Trouble is, a more elegant solution will have to be found to realise the full potential of the road system - but let's get the railway part of the layout 'finished' first!

• Like 1

It wasn't following the temporary route it was supposed to on the Friday night, but if it was 'adjusted' (I don't recall hearing hammering) then that's not to say it didn't behave itself after that. It's behind and as far away from me as it can get when operating and I don't recall being aware of it at all all weekend.

Did Tony speak severely to it?

• RMweb Gold

It wasn't following the temporary route it was supposed to on the Friday night, but if it was 'adjusted' (I don't recall hearing hammering) then that's not to say it didn't behave itself after that. It's behind and as far away from me as it can get when operating and I don't recall being aware of it at all all weekend.Did Tony speak severely to it?

It seems likely. When "Sir" speaks the whole class listens.

• RMweb Premium

Don

Sorry... returning. Coming to you live from a German State Railways service from BHI to DAR

Don't tell them your name Graham............................. :scared:

Hope you pointed people in the right direction this weekend?

P

Edited by Mallard60022