Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

attachicon.gifIMG_5710.JPG

Bit of work on Station Approach, which is also to be 'wired up' for the road vehicles. Here the guide wire has been added so that the road surface can be stuck down.

Looking at the factory chimney I think the late, and fondly remembered, Fred Dibnah has made an unexpected visit to Grantham with his pneumatic bolster chisel, timber props, pile of scrap tyres, can of petrol and 'hooter' ...

Edited by 61070

Nice bit of roadwork.  To me, there's something so magically evocative about that curving road, a couple of lamps glimmering in the gloom, and the distinctive red brick walls.  With the railway high up on the embankment, trains would be heard more than seen, and I would be working up a sweat trying to get to a view point in a hurry, lest I miss something special.

All you need now is some way of recreating a proper November fog.  I miss those, haven't had proper fog in years.

What makes Grantham so special to me is that it really is about more than just the locomotives and trains.  The old railway, which I only caught glimpses of in my early years before it was all swept away, integrated with the distinctive Victorian town scape was really rather special.

The new railway is just plain track, flimsy, rattly trains, weedy dereliction, shiny stations trying hard to be shopping malls or airport departure lounges and it all seems so insubstantial and lacking in pride and dignity.

I had an opportunity to spend some time on Birmingham Moor Street on a rainy December night recently.  It was magical!  One train even had an actual locomotive on the front!

• Like 1

Thanks Dr G-F!

It (the station road scene) will be even better when it's finished - just come in from working on it further in the chapel model railway room to thaw out.

9oC in there at the moment :fan:

Edited by LNER4479

...just come in from working on it further in the chapel model railway room to thaw out.

9oC in there at the moment :fan:

We (the Aberdeen MRC) are working on our new exhibition layout in unheated portacabins at -2oC at the minute.

If only we too could move south to the balmy subtropical climes of Lincolnshire...

• RMweb Premium

How do they keep their trains on the track in Australia, as they are upside down?

Not been to Moor Street but I'm told it is quite carefully restored; is that the case?

When I worked at the Bluebell in the late 90s I always enjoyed the winter season of Mince Pie & Santa Specials, as the last ones ran in the dark and the Stations were so atmospheric; magical stuff for the little uns but bit of a nightmare for the Carriage Cleaning staff of course after the wine and pies had been liberally spread around.

However, even an concrete tomb, airport station can be brought to life briefly as I discovered in about 1999 or 2000ish when there were three days of steam return, evening runs on the Victoria to Brighton line. I was on the Bulleid Pacific (Taw Valley I think) northbound run and it went through Gatwick at about 70 and yes it whistled quite a lot (someone will be annoyed) and steam billowed all over the place. There were rather a lot of very bemused 'tourists' who genuinely looked like they were seeing a ghost train.

Some stations (Grantham for instance) still can look magical at night. Just look at some of the vids on UTube. Pity most of the trains are clones.

Phil

• Like 3

How do they keep their trains on the track in Australia, as they are upside down?

Not been to Moor Street but I'm told it is quite carefully restored; is that the case?

They, belatedly, did a good job on MoorStreet, particularly when they've had a cosmetically restored gwr loco on the old platforms. I always think it is a bit of a station of two halves with a jarring modern bit on the snow hill lines but the nice old GWR terminus. For a while this was closed. However, it's now been restored and has an excellent cafe with a splendid map of the gwr on the wall.

G'day Gents

All I can say to Mallard 60022....Magnets, Ruddy Great magnets.

Come Saturday, it'll be 42c, then I can take my jumper off and me fur lined slippers, Nurse, is my ice bath ready yet. LOL

manna

• RMweb Premium

You're all forgetting that gravity is the wrong way up in Aus too....

Does Einstein know about this, or would Sir Isaac have got hit in a rather tender part of his anatomy rather than having something fall on his bonce.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

Thanks Paul - however my station approach is also 'single track' whereas on the real thing two road vehicles can pass relatively easily. That's the compromise bit!

In other news, a third board was delivered to Ormesby last night for ground cover work in the Up Goods Yard, seeing as how the winter scenic work is cracking on apace. I'll try and remember to take some pictures next week!

• Like 1