"FirstGroup ...... frontrunner for west coast rail franchise"

From bits and pieces I have picked up from reading the net this morning the figures dont stack up

Virgin were paying £110m a year and for the year ending 2011 made profits of £39.9m (down 21% from 2010)

(http://mediaroom.virgintrains.co.uk/2011/08/booming-passenger-numbers-drive-record.html)

First are now commited to paying over £300m a year.

Can that be right?

• RMweb Gold

Enough of the negative waves, it's now done and dusted. Let's wait and see what happens.

Couldn't agree more. More information and interpretations will undoubtedly come to the fore in the next few days/weeks. Interesting times ahead, whichever way you look at it!

For only £422 (undercutting the virgin price) I will happily drive anyone to london and back from Manchester, picking you up at your door at whatever time you want. Courtesy of a joint venture with the nearby toby carvery a full all you can eat breakfast is provided on morning departures and an all you can eat carvery and desert on evening trips. Wi-Fi is regretably not available but you can have full use of my wife!! (unlike argos though if you are not completely satisfied she does not provide refunds)

http://www.guardian....line-firstgroup

Looking over some of this article, mentions cramming more seats in the Pendo's and removing the catering but then goes on to mention providing even better catering.

Contradictions already.

More likely that they remove the shop and keep the first class catering or maybe better catering means a trolley with some "value" muffins on.

• RMweb Gold

For only £422 (undercutting the virgin price) I will happily drive anyone to london and back from Manchester, picking you up at your door at whatever time you want. Courtesy of a joint venture with the nearby toby carvery a full all you can eat breakfast is provided on morning departures and an all you can eat carvery and desert on evening trips. Wi-Fi is regretably not available but you can have full use of my wife!! (unlike argos though if you are not completely satisfied she does not provide refunds)

I would like to make a reservation please!!

Oh, and just where is this alleged spare capacity? I don't see much during my annual trip on the WCML.

Indeed Chris.

The statement about spare capacity, from FirstGroup chief executive Tim O'Toole, has surprised a few people, especially as we are told the WCML is almost full and will need a new line after 2020 !

However, extra capacity can be provided from within the existing train paths.

Have First included the current programme to lengthen 31 Pendolino's and the addition of the 4 new sets in their figures ?

Another way would be to redress the balance of First to Standard vehicles in favour of the later. However, sadly there is no mention of extending the 11-car Pendolino programme to the remaining 21 9-car sets.

A combination of reducing the number of First class vehicles from 4 to 3 and extending the remaining 21 sets to 11-car, would seem to make a lot of sense, but again there is no mention of these options.

The 11 new 6-car trains will see Class 221's being used to strengthen existing services and to add the new routes, so there's one big increase in passenger carrying capacity. But is that all they're going to do?

.....Wi-Fi is regretably not available but you can have full use of my wife!! (unlike argos though if you are not completely satisfied she does not provide refunds)

I'd be giving mine away free to the first customer, no refunds accepted ! (quickly looking over my shoulder.....)

Anyone fancy photoshopping a pendo into first dynamic lines?

Seiriously where does this leave Virgin are they bidding for any of the other franchises ?

it does seems a pity to loose them from the railway all together and will this affect Firsts bid for the GW franchise

Quotes

"We will be making significant improvements including reduced journey times"

Very bold claim that, what constitutes significant, again the fight over hs2 claimed the wcml was full and operating at its limits.

"Targets to meet on passenger satisfaction will be introduced for the first time in an InterCity rail franchise"

That will be very interesting to see how it pans out! It seems clear from what virgin/stagecoach are saying is that bid from first would have bankrupted them, so I think this kind of discussion is merited as if it does fail it will end up using taxpayers money to run.

• RMweb Gold

Through services to Shrewsbury and Blackpool, eh? I believe I've heard this somewhere before.

Yes, the embarrasingly named "Blackpool Voyager" soon lost it's plates after the town lost it's service - an RB initiative iirc.

Just now on Radio 4's World at One; Villiers has said that First will be "trialling" new services to Blackpool, Bolton, Telford and Shrewsbury to see if passengers will use them !!

If that's not a slip of the tongue, then it sounds like those services can be withdrawn if "proved uneconomic".

>

It will be interesting to see how the Blackpool and Bolton services are provided. Presumably these will be the same train service which would run via Piccadilly. If so this then competes with the First trans pennine service. Of course that franchise doesn't have too much longer left and there's talk of combining it into Northern. Could it be that First will ensure that it's WC service to Blackpool take passengers off it's pennine service, paving the way for a future Northern/Pennine combined franchise to pull out/reduce the frequency of that route? Also the 6 car pendolino was promoted by Alstom for the manchester-Scotland route. Redrawing the next Pennine franchise could see those services go back to WC using the new baby pendo's.

I'm thinking...

8c19603r.jpg

Not much different to the 12:00 Virgin Trains service ex Glasgow on a Friday then.

A 5 coach voyager on what has previously been a pendolino diag - OK I know the service does not now go through to Euston - but by far the most of the traffic was to New Street anyway !

As for First Group's tagline 'Transforming Travel' - I can't help but mentally add '..........into something unrecognisable.' :-)

I wonder what would happen if Ryanair were ever to bid for a rail franchise here.....

Warrington Bank Quay would be renamed Manchester and Hemel Hempstead would become London

Not forgetting the charge for using the ticket barrier (£2 coin in the slot before it will read your ticket), baggage charges, premium for getting a seat and that annoying fanfare for another "on time arrival".

• RMweb Gold

http://www.guardian....line-firstgroup

Looking over some of this article, mentions cramming more seats in the Pendo's and removing the catering but then goes on to mention providing even better catering.

Contradictions already.

Not necessarily - they can reconfigure catering and reduce the 1st Class freebie element or - as someone has already said - get rid of the shop or reduce 1st Class seating and reconfigure as Standard. The latter might have an impact on diagraming but they've no doubt thought about that.

Let's give 'em a chance to do what they say they're going to do and see what happens.

I am sure the that the ever virgilant station staff will have no problem in being TUPE'd into first Stormtroopers - man the gates and protect our profits do whatever it takes -

Remember Your Shareholders Need You!

XF

post-7259-0-67052900-1345040082.jpg

Engages 'Allo 'Allo mode.....................

A return from Manchester you say?? Zat vill be £250! Schnell! Schnell!

Archived