Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

On Facebook, Kernow are posting pictures of their current visit to Hong Kong to handle the latest D600 EPs.

I am confused, is this now a straight Kernow procured item, I thought Dave Jones was doing the model.

Was originally to be produced by Dapol, then taken in house by Kernow.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78426-statement-from-kernow-mrc-on-ltdedn-models-via-Dapol/?p=1218849

Edited by brushman47544

And that was to DJM (Dave Jones) but usually he makes the trips to the factory as it's his relationship in that case with the factory, but on Facebook it is Kernow themselves who are in Hong Kong suggesting they are now in complete control of the model's production.

• RMweb Gold

You missed out the bit in the middle - originally likely to be Dapol, then DJM until fairly recently when Kernow took it away from DJM and  are exclusively dealing direct with the factory.  So for some months past it has been managed directly with the factory by Kernow.  I believe that Kernow no longer have any model developments with DJM.

Edited by The Stationmaster

You missed out the bit in the middle - originally likely to be Dapol, then DJM until fairly recently when Kernow took it away from DJM and  are exclusively dealing direct with the factory.  So for some months past it has been managed directly with the factory by Kernow.  I believe that Kernow no longer have any model developments with DJM.

..... so to veer off topic slightly - where does that leave the LSWR 'roadvan' brake which was supposedly following the D600s ??!? .......... there's no apparent change on the Kernow website : still DJ, still 'expected 2018' !

Edited by Wickham Green

• RMweb Gold

In Kernow's queue along with the Steam Railcar.

Yes, basically one of Kernow's ongoing projects (as, I think, Muz recently said on the relevant thread).  Work goes on on various projects at different levels more or less continuously but don't forget the money to finance some stages of production work is dependent on revenue coming in from projects already on sale.  The fact that Kernow is no longer commissioning via DJM will not mean anything is lost or that any delays will occur as a result; and as the Bulleid diesel has shown Kernow are more than capable of dealing direct with factories in China.

• RMweb Premium

Not only has Kernow MRC taken a lead in dealing directly, as a retailer, with Chinese factories but have surely had to do some sums to make it add up. Flights (likely to be for two staff), accommodation and food plus perhaps a measure of hosting their Chinese friends will have to be factored in to the overall budget even if it can be offset against any no-middle-man savings.

And while they have a delegation in China they continue to attend shows, staff the shop, offer the exemplary level of service for which they have become known and all with a staff whose total numbet might barely reach double figures.

They are still a small family business. But they have worked very hard to get where they are and continue to punch well above thier weight.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

If Kernow have the capability to bring product development of their commissions in-house and deal with the factories directly, and clearly they do, then there are some pretty good reasons for doing so. The obvious one is cost and removing a part of the chain which is not needed but it also allows them to assert control over their own plans and reduce reliance on external parties (clearly there isn't much they can do to avoid having to rely on their chosen manufacturer short of building a factory of their own). With the best will in the world a party managing projects for several parties (including some for their own account) will have to balance time and resource between multiple competing projects. If Kernow are responsible for their own project management then it is they who resolve any potential conflicts in resource and scheduling, consider any pinch points purely in terms of their own needs etc. I suspect if it was me then that'd actually be a more compelling reason to bring things in house than the potential cost saving.

• Like 2

..... so to veer off topic slightly - where does that leave the LSWR 'roadvan' brake which was supposedly following the D600s ??!? .......... there's no apparent change on the Kernow website : still DJ, still 'expected 2018' !

Someone was watching - the roadvan's now rescheduled and DJ has disappeared from the mix.

• RMweb Premium

I don't do Facebook so this might be old news but today's KMRC newsletter states:

"News from the team currently over in China - we are now ready to move to livery sample on the D600's! Yay!"

• RMweb Gold

That all leaves me cautiously optimistic that the NB Warships might have the same excellent mechanism as the Bulleids.

That is sorted.Conversation at Quorn nearly a year ago with CT convinced me of that.I did have concerns after DJ coreless motors fitted to the SR Class 71 were giving me and others misgivings.

• RMweb Gold

You missed out the bit in the middle - originally likely to be Dapol, then DJM until fairly recently when Kernow took it away from DJM and are exclusively dealing direct with the factory. So for some months past it has been managed directly with the factory by Kernow. I believe that Kernow no longer have any model developments with DJM.

This was hinted at during a conversation I had regarding the Gate stock last year. It was suggested then that they would come away from DJM.

Can't say I am surprised.

Rob.

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That is sorted.Conversation at Quorn nearly a year ago with CT convinced me of that.I did have concerns after DJ coreless motors fitted to the SR Class 71 were giving me and others misgivings.

Update on that one.One year on same event.Short conversation with CT and got to handle latest arrived sample from factory....one without head code boxes.Excellent.Has chunky solid presence and correct charismatic appearance...i.e it's an NBL Warship in 4mm.However....it WILL be equipped with a coreless motor.Not as the Class 71 was but more powerful and quieter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

post-11919-0-12058500-1529166538_thumb.jpg

Update on that one.One year on same event.Short conversation with CT and got to handle latest arrived sample from factory....one without head code boxes.Excellent.Has chunky solid presence and correct charismatic appearance...i.e it's an NBL Warship in 4mm.However....it WILL be equipped with a coreless motor.Not as the Class 71 was but more powerful and quieter.

was good to see in the flesh for the first time

• Like 9

Thank you. Hm. It will be interesting to see how that turns out. Coreless might not necessarily be a bad thing (provided that one has the correct type of controller or a decoder fitted). It might well be that, with a decent gear train and a larger and more powerful motor, perhaps with twin flywheels, it will work satisfactorily. It seems a pity, though, not to use a similar mechanism to the Bulleids, which run so well. Perhaps the design of these was too far advanced to change. In any case, it’s often the case that a particular technology is not at fault but rather its application.

It is a disappointment but perhaps my fears will be unfounded. Perhaps when CT comes to design the Fell*, he’ll revert to more traditional technology. (Double hint.)

*Gas turbines equally acceptable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Had a little skip of the heartbeat when I read coreless motor, my only experience in the past have been Portescap in a 28xx I built and DJM Cl71, the former works well but the gears are worn out. The latter runs nicely if a little slow (as has been noted before). i have paid upfront for my D6XX and hope that my purchase has plenty of grunt and a decent turn of speed.

Edited by 7013

• RMweb Gold

Had a little skip of the heartbeat when I read coreless motor, my only experience in the past have been Portescap in a 28xx I built and DJM Cl71, the former works well but the gears are worn out. The latter runs nicely if a little slow (as has been noted before). i have paid upfront for my D6XX and hope that my purchase has plenty of grunt and a decent turn of speed.

I have it on good authority that although it is (I believe) still coreless the motor in the D6XX has been uprated from the one originally spec'd by DJM.  Similarly the gearing is not as was specified by DJM for their Class 71 and I think you will find, as already reported in this thread, that it runs well with a decent turn of speed.

I look forward to receiving my pair - which will be as I really remember them - without those obnoxious headcode boxes.

• Like 4